• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

U2..

Smakutus

With all the promotion U2 has done this week I feel like I have to buy their new CD just to support them for doing it the right way all these years.

I'm not sure about the new stuff.. Get On Your Boots sounds like an STP tune to me. The other songs they did today on Good Morning America were ok but nothing special. Beautiful Day is still a great song.

Jeff

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
The CD is good...not "great" and not the 5 stars Rolling Stone gave it. Although the Edge actual does TWO solos on this album and the guitar parts are stellar. I liked the Letterman show performances much better than the CD mixes. The CD tends to be overproduced - horns/strings at times and too much synth (darn Brian Eno !).
It is not as good as "Atomic Bomb" which I would call their high water mark since "Joshua Tree"...ymmv

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
There are definitely some highlights on this new album that every fan should get because they will be concert staples. There are only a few clunkers on the album IMHO, but the good ones more than make up for it.

Gretschdaddy

Having followed them since 1980 and been a big champion of the band - especially early on I cannot help feeling there is only so much you can do with such a limited format.

For me The Edge was at his best on Boy - Joshua Tree - Achtung Baby and All that you can't Leave Behind when he honed and adapted his style and you could hear the progress he was making.

I am afraid that this new record - which is alright - just shows his limitations in terms of virtuosity. Don't get me wrong he is still my favourite guitar player of all time but his vocabulary really is quite limited and this new record underlines the fact. Maybe the songs will grow on me , I hope so but it is just a bit more of the same in terms of modulated delay and descant fifthy chords; a great sound but an old sound done to death. For my money the Led Zep Glam riff of Boots is probably the best thing on the new record and that represents a rather camp blues style which I suppose for Edge represents a departure - so more please.

aaronbarnes

bought it
wish I had'nt
I've bought 3 U2 cds, and every time I do, I listen to them for a day or two and never feel the need to again.

yet the couple of big U2 songs that I do like, I love and can't crank up loud enough when they come on the radio......

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I love it.
Been a fan since '83 and it fits into their catalog perfectly.

lanny

Also a fan since the beginning, this is a winner IMHO. The radio singles are the weakest, most calculated songs on the album. The gems are in there and get better and better after a few listens. I agree, Edge has hit a wall, his trademark chime combined with monster fuzz tracks. I definitely notice more non AC30 sounds, possibly some of the Fenders and a Marshall here and there. More oddball bass riffs, and finally old Bono poking fun at himself.

Holliman

Triad Abuser
It won't happen, but "Magnificent" deserves to be put up there with their all time greatest songs. To me it's that good.

Broken Cord

U2 does have a good sound. However, after U2 Boy I have never purchased another of their CD's. I saw U2 play a bar in Florida, when they first came out with Boy and thought they were great at that time, but their rise was meteorical and they went right to playing big sold out venues and I just lost interest.

There OK, not great IMHO.

dverna

It won't happen, but "Magnificent" deserves to be put up there with their all time greatest songs. To me it's that good.

Couldn't agree more.

And I think this album is so much more appealing than Atomic Bomb. So many layers and subtleties to this one that were missing on the last couple of efforts.
Much like Radiohead's "In Rainbows", this album has continued to seep in and rise in stature (to me) on each listen. A true "grower".
And it's no surprise they have been killing it live on Letterman this week -- "Magnificent" in particular.
They are not the greatest band in the world because of their albums alone -- it has more to do with how they elevate their material to a whole new level playing live.

5E3

I missed their Monday appearance on Letterman, but caught the other four nights. Very enjoyable. I'm always surprised how much of a statement The Edge can make with such simple but effective playing. I think his tone and all that delay/echo have a lot to do with it. Mullen did a great job on the drums.

honestly I think bono has become the weak link in the band...
even Adam Claytons bass playing has improved over the years, but bono's voice peaked during unforgettable fire/joshua tree era and has been down hill ever since

that said I have to listen to new U2 for a while before I form an opinion...im not a big fan of the new stuff today...but we will see tomorrow

sparky_8

I'm with you completely there... I don't care how against the grain it is but this is actually my favorite album by them... ever.

Bankston

I've seen very few live acts that could connect with a crowd the way U2 does. The audience just responds to them and it is very organic.

Edge does his thing. I'm not looking for virtuosity from him. I'm looking for great tones and great textures and he always delivers.

Bono is one of the best frontmen of all time.

Papajuice

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds even better on Vinyl, got the CD and the LP was listening to one side and heard thing I do not hear on the cd, way better.

markom89

Just got the new album yesterday and am really digging it. I could certainly do without "Get On Your Boots", but you can't expect every song to be as brilliant as "Magnificent", can you? :) I really, really dig that tune. I really am very happy with the new album and can't wait to see them when they come to town. Have been listening to U2 for just over half my life!

dverna

According to Billboard, U2's upcoming world tour will be called Kiss the Future. As has previously been reported, the tour begins in Barcelona, Spain, on June 30. U2 will stay in Europe through Aug. 22, then hit the U.S. on Sept. 12th in Chicago. The band will play in North America until Oct. 28, and plans on working the globe until the fall of 2010.

Playing in a 360 configuration will increase the capacity by about 15%-20%, depending on the stadium. The configuration opens up myriad opportunities for scaling ticket prices. The top ticket price will be slightly higher than last time and the bottom price will be lower, with the floor seats -- the closest to the stage -- the lowest priced. Field level is going to be $55, and there will be 10,000 tickets a show, every show, at $30. The price points are $250, $90-$95, depending on the market; $55 and $30.

On-sales will begin in Europe in mid-March, and North American on-sales will start in late March/early April. U2 will also resurrect its random upgrade program first seen on the Vertigo tour in 2001, where select fans purchasing GA tickets will be moved closest to the stage.

Stay tuned for the official announcement and tour dates on Monday, March 9th.

lanny

honestly I think bono has become the weak link in the band...
even Adam Claytons bass playing has improved over the years, but bono's voice peaked during unforgettable fire/joshua tree era and has been down hill ever since

that said I have to listen to new U2 for a while before I form an opinion...im not a big fan of the new stuff today...but we will see tomorrow
Chain smoking has not helped..odd that such a progressive person can still do this to himself.

Trending Topics