UA Amp Pedals Suck

MothAttack

They should have headphone out, XLR out, and an FX loop.

They're massively overpriced plug-ins in a box.

They should have at least 30 amp models, and more than one boost or OD - the ones they chose are not the ones I like. Actually, why not have a complete set of effects? I need a flanger.

They should have more knobs and switches for more control. The Dream reverb by itself should have 2, 3, maybe 4 knobs. Just one knob for reverb is an embarrassment.

The tones on the demos all sound horrible through my laptop speakers.

The fan boys are delusional - there is no justifying a wait list for such horrendous products.

What else?
There are pedal building courses for beginners out there somewhere.

vbfgrt

They should have headphone out, XLR out, and an FX loop.

They're massively overpriced plug-ins in a box.

They should have at least 30 amp models, and more than one boost or OD - the ones they chose are not the ones I like. Actually, why not have a complete set of effects? I need a flanger.

They should have more knobs and switches for more control. The Dream reverb by itself should have 2, 3, maybe 4 knobs. Just one knob for reverb is an embarrassment.

The tones on the demos all sound horrible through my laptop speakers.

The fan boys are delusional - there is no justifying a wait list for such horrendous products.

"What else?"

It doesn't even play itself!!!!! How am I supposed to sound good if "I" have to play it?!?!?!?

Utter waste of money garbage #$%@ product!!!

AStrangeDay

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

El Phaco

Well, I don't really care for these, I'm in the real amp/reamping device camp, but I do understand why these seem interesting to some people. Easy and convenient format with no option paralysis. And if it sounds good, why not. But seriously, no symetrical output nor any cab sim to go direct into table ?? At this price ??? That's milking money...

Last edited:

jorricustom

Pretty much agree on features (as sound no idea). Vox and AMT make some nice analogue ones. AMT make digital ones too but compared to the analogue one-trick pedals, they shove everything and the kitchen sink in those.

The plugins i've used for this purpose, i have a few but ended up only using one. But the point is i probably wouldn't CHOSE which one thru youtube videos on my phone, so its a good idea to have more options in a digital pedal by auditioning practically. So, er the shitposting just seems to prove the OPs point imho.
(Plus, the ONE plugin i use actually has 3 amps because that is usually a good idea, to change tones for different parts unless you actually have to carry the real amp)

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Sooo, anti-complainer fanboys complain that complainers should go start their own thread, new thread emerges for precisely that purpose, fanboys infiltrate thread to complain that complainers just don’t get it, are unintelligent, and don’t know anything…sounds spot on for TGP

AnthonyF

My perspective on these is as a home recording hobbyist.

IMO these AIAB pedals should be viewed like buying individual amplifiers. I get that digital has the capability of providing allot in small containers but IF they sound as good as some of the reviews proclaim, being the owner of an Iridium, I wouldn't have a problem buying an AIAB pedal IF it sounded really great. And IF they sound really great, the price point vs. features are a heck of allot cheaper than the corresponding amplifier they are modeling.

Does the Iridium have some "shortcomings"? Yes indeed but none that I consider a show stopper. But I cherish it nonetheless because it has KNOBS instead of MENUS. My only real complaint about it is that much like most of the pedals in their catalog, Strymon doesn't offer a librarian to save presets like they do on the nightsky and volante.

Insofar as not being able to load user IR's, I get that. But it's not an inexpensive prospect to swap speakers in a real amp which BTW, can also fast become a rabbit hole.

I don't like the business model of some hardware and software developers but the fact that I can't produce what I need in my garage, I'm forced to weigh options and try to make informed choices.

Last edited:

Ja2854

Silver Supporting Member
I do think it is interesting the amount of initial disdain that these pedals have stirred up. I don’t remember the Golden, Astra and Starlight doing the same? Maybe I missed it.

I have the Dream ‘65 and have been floored by it. I can’t wait to pick up the Ruby. I really consider them next generation modelers and am okay paying a premium for them.

It’s also okay if others aren’t. I would suggest that you try one before making a judgement.

There's an entire thread dedicated to hating those pedals too because they don't have MIDI.

UA is pretty much the Gibson of pedals at this point. Expensive, great quality, sound and look amazing. But insecure folk who don't want to shell out for them instead make threads or entire YT videos (expecting Rhett Schull to be reading this and preparing a WHY ARENT NEW BANDS ON TIKTOK PLAYING UA PEDALS video) on why they hate them.

jjhookemup

Question: These plug in’s…can’t you just dial those tones in yourself by tweaking the pedal? Or are they additional tones you can only get from UA?

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
There's an entire thread dedicated to hating those pedals too because they don't have MIDI.

UA is pretty much the Gibson of pedals at this point. Expensive, great quality, sound and look amazing. But insecure folk who don't want to shell out for them instead make threads or entire YT videos (expecting Rhett Schull to be reading this and preparing a WHY ARENT NEW BANDS ON TIKTOK PLAYING UA PEDALS video) on why they hate them.
Harsh over-generalization of that thread and the people, are you their spokesperson?

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Question: These plug in’s…can’t you just dial those tones in yourself by tweaking the pedal? Or are they additional tones you can only get from UA?
Yes and no. You can use the pedal controls to get a lot of tones but some of the artist/factory presets are hidden from the user to replicate, though you can make them favorites.

uraniumwilly

Was there any verbage in that thread about how a $400 digital pedal doesn't have presets?

Was there any discussion about how, for a $400 dollar pedal, plus tax, plus shipping, you can't access all of it's functionality unless you register and logon?

Hope so!

I hope they talked about that.

Soooo, at UAD some dudes in suits gathered around and decided that in order to use all their sexy features you have to get on that internet and give them your personal info.

At UAD some dudes in suits gathered around and decided that in order to use all their sexy features you have to get on that internet and give them your personal info.

jjhookemup

Yes and no. You can use the pedal controls to get a lot of tones but some of the artist/factory presets are hidden from the user to replicate, though you can make them favorites.
That’s kinda BS, I think. I guess that’s why I don’t mess with a lot of that digital stuff.

jjhookemup

Why not get a Kemper then…I just don’t get that. You should be able to dial it in yourself. So in other words, you’re buying a Kemper in thirds, kinda

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom