UA Amp Pedals Suck

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
I’m curious why an amp-in-a-box pedal would ever need an fx loop… can’t you just run whatever fx you’d like after it? Like running a tube head into a dummy load, then feeding line level signal to your effects… am I missing something??

LaXu

As the person who posted about the shortcomings on the UAD amp sim pedals, all that was gathered from trying the UAFX pedals and other people’s experiences with the UAFX pedals. Same issues a year later. No firmware updates or bug fixes during that period either.

The price is fine, so is the "one amp with variations" premise. In its price range the UAD amp sims fall short of the competitors in features.

It is a weird product range for a 2021/2022 product and I don’t believe the "we wanted to keep it simple" excuses from UA. There is nothing simple about developing mobile apps that interface with pedals using Bluetooth.

People will buy them because they like how they sound and deal with the issues. For me those problems are dealbreakers so I won’t buy them but will acknowledge they do sound good.

I am turned off by UA as a company. I have looked into all their products and always found something that makes me not want to buy it. I think they have some real talent working for them to make them sound the way they do and the products are then hampered by others who decide on the feature sets of their gear, whether it’s audio interfaces, loadboxes or pedals.

LaXu

I’m curious why an amp-in-a-box pedal would ever need an fx loop… can’t you just run whatever fx you’d like after it? Like running a tube head into a dummy load, then feeding line level signal to your effects… am I missing something??
It only matters if there’s a headphone output. One complaint about the Strymon Iridium is that because there is no fx loop you need to put your fx before the pedal if you want to hear them thru the headphone out. The UAD pedals don’t have a headphone out so they don’t need a loop either.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
It only matters if there’s a headphone output. One complaint about the Strymon Iridium is that because there is no fx loop you need to put your fx before the pedal if you want to hear them thru the headphone out. The UAD pedals don’t have a headphone out so they don’t need a loop either.

Ah gotcha, thanks! I never cared for playing with headphones so this wasn’t something I ever encountered.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
People bitch about UA not tailoring pedals they don't have to buy to their needs.

I bitch about having to come across their whiny bitching. Just move along and buy something else. Quit whining about it.
It appears you’re in good company. Welcome!

Just because you’re ready to move on, doesn’t mean others are ready to move on.

Ja2854

Silver Supporting Member
It appears you’re in good company. Welcome!

Just because you’re ready to move on, doesn’t mean other are ready to move on.

I'm just tired of this post-internet age of people getting in their feels because some company releases something that makes them feel insecure or whatever. I don't even understand what the problem is. The market will figure it out. If UA's stuff really is crap, then the market will tell them that. If it's amazing (and so far it has been) then the market will tell them that too.

I have no real use for these as the Iridium already kinda does what these 3 do. But if they released a pedal that covered something else that intrigued me, I'd be more than interested. I don't care about MIDI or presets or whatever shenanigans people that probably don't even produce need to be able to talk to their therapist on that day.

uraniumwilly

I like it when a guitar pedal forum doesn't closely examine and scrutinize the features of a newly introduced pedal.

I like it when people just buy whatever it is that comes out on the market.

I like it when users of pedals who've reached expert-level don't affect the market with their intelligent comments.

I like it when user-feedback is completely and utterly ignored by UAD because they can.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just tired of this post-internet age of people getting in their feels because some company releases something that makes them feel insecure or whatever. I don't even understand what the problem is. The market will figure it out. If UA's stuff really is crap, then the market will tell them that. If it's amazing (and so far it has been) then the market will tell them that too.

I have no real use for these as the Iridium already kinda does what these 3 do. But if they released a pedal that covered something else that intrigued me, I'd be more than interested. I don't care about MIDI or presets or whatever shenanigans people that probably don't even produce need to be able to talk to their therapist on that day.
Are we post internet already? Missed that one. Seriously, never heard that one before.

I think the problem could be summarized as some people want/need more/better features. I don’t hear many complaints about the sounds, quite the opposite actually. That’s a good thing. The new UAFX sound great but some users are perplexed by the design decisions relative to the market the wide array of different uses.

johnh

I haven’t even checked these pedals out yet - but I’d just like to say that the comment that the pedals should have 1000 sounds and 100’s of effects built in is not something that appeals to me.

i was a total tube snob, but have been shocked that my ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb has become my no 1 amp. If the TMDR had 100 presents, I am 100% certain I would not have bought it.

so my point is that there seems to be a market out there for digital products which do one thing (or a small number of things) extremely well, but don’t involve menus or scrolling to operate.

as i said, I don’t have a horse in this race, so I not emotionally involved in the discussion. But I got the impression that some folks are missing the fact that there appears to be a market for people who don’t want a fractal or Kemper, but who still might have a use for a digital product. Even if they don’t always admit it to themselves (like me - before the TMDR!).

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
All this has made for some interesting reading… I’ll say that much. I just feel bad for the marketing/not marketing dude from UA… now he’s got to keep up with two active threads instead of just the one. Poor fella!
I believe there's three on the new units and two or three on the previous ones.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
I haven’t even checked these pedals out yet - but I’d just like to say that the comment that the pedals should have 1000 sounds and 100’s of effects built in is not something that appeals to me.

i was a total tube snob, but have been shocked that my ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb has become my no 1 amp. If the TMDR had 100 presents, I am 100% certain I would not have bought it.

so my point is that there seems to be a market out there for digital products which do one thing (or a small number of things) extremely well, but don’t involve menus or scrolling to operate.

as i said, I don’t have a horse in this race, so I not emotionally involved in the discussion. But I got the impression that some folks are missing the fact that there appears to be a market for people who don’t want a fractal or Kemper, but who still might have a use for a digital product. Even if they don’t always admit it to themselves (like me - before the TMDR!).
I agree with you. The TM series is emblematic of that. There is definitely a segment of users that prefer that approach.

When you were talking about a TMDR with 100 presents, you reminded of my first Cyber Twin. It had some really cool sounds in it at the time.

M

Member 202500

Yes, I agree, my dirt cheap but pretty amazing Joyo American Sound and Oxford Sound should be free of charge and be digital so they could have 30 mediocre digtal amp emulations that I would have no use for instead of being all analog and just emulating respectively Fender and Orange type amps pretty impressively, even if that is just what I need. :messedup

Also you could expand this to other analog pedals, why aren't they all digital multi effects instead, cause everyone knows everyone needs not just one great analog tone exactly to their personal preferences that makes them sound like them, but rather 100 crappy digital ones that sort of almost can make then sound like everyone else, I know I definitely rather have access to a mediocre digital ring modulator that I have no use for than a great analog chorus, even if that is what I really need, cause just like knowing it is there if I at some point for God knows which strange reason ever should need one?

Honestly seems to me like you want amp-in-a-box pedals to be multi effects, so why not just buy a multi effect and let amp-in-a-box pedals be what they are and are good at being?

Also investing in some better speakers might blow your mind and change your perspective on things. ;)

Edit!: Seems like I missed the specific UA part of OP's point, and in that case he might actually be on to something.
TGPers, once again demonstrating their incredible reading comprehension skills on top of their restrain in ranting about irrelevant topics in a thread.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom