UA Amp Pedals Suck

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
for practice and live? I’ll take the ruby (and soon to be dream ‘65) over the digital modelers everyday of the week… for now. I could very well flip and be pro modeler next week

This statement makes it sound as if the UA pedals aren’t digital. I get that you don’t like the interface of the other modelers but the UA is a digital amp modeling device in pedal form unlike, say, a Quilter Superblock (US - fender, or UK - vox) which is a pedal-sized solid-state analog amplifier.

Sqvare_Vülf

This statement makes it sound as if the UA pedals aren’t digital. I get that you don’t like the interface of the other modelers but the UA is a digital amp modeling device in pedal form unlike, say, a Quilter Superblock (US - fender, or UK - vox) which is a pedal-sized solid-state analog amplifier.
Fixed

mac jones

I think these are marketed towards UA users who might want to expand their ecosystem

Brand loyalty sort of thing. Anyone else may think twice.

(here, no need to think at all)

uraniumwilly

Can anyone tell me where this suck preset is? Tried my Ruby today but there isn’t even one preset that sucked? Maybe mine is broken? Dialed all knobs in every direction but still no suck? Maybe I’m a sucker of not getting it to sound suck? We are Primus and we suck!
Hey MacL, can you quote the OP or other poster in this thread that complained about a preset that sucked? I'm confused by your post.

I'm really hoping that some posters who seem to have little history or humility here, don't work at an outfit like this:

Hope not!

mermermer

Yep. People hate on UA because they're a high-end brand, very expensive (interfaces/software/studio hardware) and have a kind of lock-in ecosystem much like Apple for their higher-end audio interfaces and software, though that is changing a little bit with a subscription model shift.

The biggest problem with UA in my opinion, and many other audio software houses are the same, is that you can't resell individual plugins alone. I'm very seriously hoping laws are passed that force change on this in the future and I encourage anyone who has a state representative that is technically savvy to contact them about these practices, because it's asinine that you can have thousands of dollars worth of stuff you can't sell without also selling hardware and then moving plugins between "systems" in the UA admin page is basically impossible... maybe support would help, who knows. But this is overall purely just stupid wholly anti-consumer behavior - the've said in the past it's because their UAD-2 plugins required DSP so of course you have to sell a hardware system with plugins, well that's not the case now since there are native versions... which they do charitably give the owner of the DSP plugin for free - but again this justifies their need to force you to buy the hardware locked plugin, so they can get away with forcing a "system" sale instead of pick and choose which is what it absolutely should be. But that is where the UA disdain should be directed, imo, but again they're not alone - you can't even resell Spitfire Audio stuff at ALL which is even worse and those libraries can be thousands of dollars for some higher end collections.

UA also does a piss-poor job of customer loyalty and you gain basically nothing by owning everything, because if you're someone who buys most of their plugins if you need to add another Apollo for example to your system you are forced to pay for "heritage versions" of their interfaces now which conveniently raised prices by like 20%+ that come with plugins you already own and get no credit for if you also own for example UAD ultimate 9 or whatever. It's extremely stupid. The $25 coupons they throw out every 4 months don't help matters, and they usually have a minimum purchase of like $99 so you can't use it on a $75 plugin etc. They know what they're doing to extract the absolute most money out of people. Another great example of this stupidity is that I gain NOTHING by subscribing to UA Spark except for the one single EXCLUSIVE instrument that I can't even purchase outside of Spark if I wanted to. Eventually I'll be able to, but they want to hook you. Just like they used to make you wade through all of the plugins you didn't own yet (to encourage demos! and also make you feel FOMO because maybe that 5th EQ will really change your game!) in the list of those to put in slots in console. LUNA has fixed this thank God, but the person that decided this was a good idea at the time, and the person who coded it should both be ashamed of themselves for being despicably user-hostile.

But their software sounds really, really good, and LUNA is pretty exceptional so I put up with this nonsense, and it's not like Drew is the problem here it's the bean counters and management at UA, and I see this slowly, slowly shifting, but it better not go so far that we can't own the software anymore or there will be blood in the streets on places like gearspace and they will lose a lot of the prosumer market. I think they know better and see what has happened to AVID in the consumer / semi-prosumer realm where everyone now is basically buying focusrites and using Ableton / Logic / Bitwig / Reaper / Cubase etc.

Hating a $400 pedal because of the price on this forum where half of the people probably have thousands of dollars worth of effects and/or amps... hilarious. People are dead right that you usually, with a multi-fx unit, find a couple models that you like and stick to them. These pedals fulfill that role very well and sound amazing, and are stereo!

I agree if you can swing the price and think they'd be useful in your workflow they're worth trying - Dream in particular has blown me away consistently for the last week+ now and I've played more guitar through it than I have through anything else in months because it's just really easy to work with in my setup.

Nobody's perfect, companies have problems, but the things people complain about are hilarious when there are actual like, severely bad practices at some of these companies that deserve real scrutiny - not design decisions that were intentionally made or some marketing spiel that anyone with 2 brain cells can read through and understand.

No, I didn't think I could buy a Dream instead of a Fender Blackface and get the exact same experience, because I'm not a damn idiot. But the Blackface also can't output stereo to my other outboard effects, doesn't blow my walls apart when I crank it, and there's near-zero menu diving compared to an Axe-Fx and basically no need to tweak anything - you're off to the races very quickly especially now that they've added great presets. Acting like UA is supposed to spoon feed people the difference between a modeler pedal and a tube amp is hilarious. No kid will be interested in or able to afford a $400 amp sim pedal, and anyone who is an adult should be intelligent enough to understand what they're buying and do the smallest modicum of research beforehand if they're concerned. If you're angry there's no actual spring behind your spring reverb knob fed by input and output tubes I feel bad for you as a fellow human because that's some serious hangup that can't make living life in the world we do easy. Also just FYI - Tore was not lying when he said they did something to make the spring in Dream perform differently because of where it's at in the 'circuit' - it does actually do Ducking now and the Golden does not. It's the same algorithm but it gets out of the way when you play and has the nice reverb trails during the empty spaces.

But anyway, return policies exist for a reason - try things. Life is better and more enjoyable when you get off forums and actually spend more of your time playing your music, and I've been having a great time doing that with these products.
In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I don't agree with anything you said, but I also haven't read it.

NickAudette

Silver Supporting Member
Would've posted in other thread but couldn't find it. Do we think UA will update the pedals to allow turning off the amp simulation to be able to use the cab sim side only? I have a feeling the answer is no

Viper 900

I hate everything I haven’t tried, guilty until proven innocent.

All equipment is ****, doesn’t have the functionality and is built out of cheese.

Forums are **** and therefore by association, both you and I are ****.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
Two things I dislike about these pedals…

1. To get the set of three you’re out $1200 plus tax for what is essentially a plug-in and some cheap hardware.

2. The influencers making what amounts to cringe commercials for UA stating these pedals are indistinguishable from the real thing…until the next generation comes out and these are obsolete and they’re on to the next one.

MarkF786

Gold Supporting Member
It strikes me as arrogance or laziness that some obvious features are missing. Either in arrogance, they think they know better then their customers, or in laziness, they just reuse the same chassis and features of their other pedals - ignoring strong prior feedback from their customers.

And the omission of a headphone jack is just shooting themselves in the foot, hurting sales, as most competing products have this feature.

Meriphew

Silver Supporting Member
Unless UA is planning on eventually implementing MIDI on these, I think their designer (and whoever approved the final design) had a very narrow minded, and short sighted, view on these. I think these are going to be quickly outdone by other pedal builders who take a more encompassing design to market.

NickAudette

Silver Supporting Member
Do those pedals suck that much, that the other thread „Universal Audio Amp Pedals Are Out“ got nuked?
Yeah I shifted through 15 pages of threads looking for it and then did a search and couldn't find it. Must have been deleted?

doninoakland

Sounds troll-ish, but hell, I’ll bite:

Ooooh!?!?? I must’ve forgotten to consult you on what I like. I forgot, in this day and age we must all like the same things (conformity conformity conformity!!)

The OPs personal opinion is much like sweaty a-holes: we’ve all got one and few of us are interested in viewing other people’s, yet you’re flopping your sweaty a$$ around as if your a$$ is the only one that matters put that thing away man, no one truly gives a s..t

I have enough gear to start a small shop. I’m a bit of a collector except I use everything I own and I don’t do vintage, so take what you will from this -

Just got the Ruby and much prefer it’s simplicity over ALL of my modelers (kemper, stomp, fm9). I used to LOVE modelers which is why I have all of the major ones, but have grown to despise the menu diving and I hardly use them any more. With the ruby I had my tone in about a minute.

If/when a modeler dies (satan forbid it happens live) and you dont have the same exact thing as a backup - you’re losing time and you’re losing the interest of the crowd. And in some cases, depending on the overall situation, you show is over. Troubleshooting my pedalboard takes about 1 minute and I can remove the culprit from my chain very very quickly with my switcher.

And let’s be real - I literally use 1-2 base tones and do everything else with pedals, so the modeler, for that purpose, is overkill. One could argue that I could get all of my pedal sounds from modelers - yes this is true… and?!?! As much as I use to love the modelers, I love pedals far far far more. It’s not even close. The tactile feel and the non-menu diving are HUGE selling points for me.

I have zero need for headphones to hear my guitar - my 100W victory V140 is plenty loud …. (Yes, I understand why headphones are actually necessary for some people)

Won’t sell the big boy modelers as they still have some utility with recording, but for practice and live? I’ll take the ruby (and soon to be dream ‘65) over the big modelers everyday of the week… for now. I could very well flip and be pro big modeler next week - I just love gear man, all of it and you don’t, so what? Pick your gear of choice and let other people be man!
I’m the OP and yes it was made in jest, and I’m pretty much aligned with you. I got tired of the naysayers posting the same stuff again and again.

As I understood it, these UA boxes are supposed to encapsulate the best sound of the target amp but within a pedal form. Everything the critics are saying the pedals don’t have … well, neither do my best sounding amps.

Maybe I’m an anachronism but I can play with just one amp’s tones. Would I like an FX loop and headphone out? Sure. But after I read that critique, I don’t need 50 posts to hammer it in.

I have the Dream 65. I like it. The naysayers can call me an idiot. I like my tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom