UAD-1 Plugs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by eugewong, Feb 20, 2005.

1. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    Hi All,

I know i'm a little late getting on this bandwagon, but am about to put my money into a UAD-1 Card. There's a great offer now, with a free plug and a $50 coupon from UA themselves that can be put back into another plug-in.

So I'm getting the Project Pack (the only thing my budget allows right about now) and it comes with a free LA-2A plug (which is what i really want anyways...) So the $50 coupon i have to use by the end of March, which other plug would you guys suggest that i put the money into?

As of now, i'm considering the Fairchild or the Pultec Pro...maybe the Cambridge.

For the record, I run Logic Pro 7 on a (very old) G4 400mhz (to be upgraded ASAP!) and my band and I (acoustic rock - Counting Crows/Barenaked Ladies/John Mayer-ish)are working on our first EP/demo, so i'll most definitely be mixing on this machine. Most likely 100% in the box too, so will rely on the plug-ins alot, one of the reasons why i wanted to go the UAD-1 route, to take the pressure of my very weak CPU. On a side note, I also do some work as a sound designer and am trying to get into the market of ad work/jingles....etc

Thanks again guys! As usual, any help is much appreciated.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

From what I hear the Fairchild plug is about as good as a simulation gets. Probably more useful for the money than the Pultec plug.

IMO EQ plugs are not as dramatically distinct one from the other as compressor plugs. None of them sound like great hardware, they just mimic the curves as you "twist" the "dials." If it mimics the curve of a $50K piece of hardware, who cares? It's not very exciting. There are much cheaper EQ plugs with their own curves that don't result in a track any less vital. What I want in an EQ plug is that I like the way the controls work so I can get results fast, period.

However, if a plug mimics the compression characteristics of a $100K compressor (not to mention one weighing ~200 lbs), THAT's sxciting. For my money I'd want excitement!

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I run two full blown UAD cards; I have the Pultec-Pro, Cambridge and Fairchild plugs. And some other ones too. :D

First off, I am a HUGE fan of the UAD stuff. HUGE.

Of the ones you mention; I use the Fairchild on vocals, acoustic guitar and bass all the time. I use the Cambridge EQ on everything. Best EQ for my taste going - I can dial it in without thinking too much. Sounds great.

You can't go wrong with the UAD stuff IMHO.

4. eugewong

eugewong Member

Michael and Scott,

Thanks again for the replies, and like Micheal I think i'm swaying towards the Fairchild right now.

Scott, if you don't mind another couple of questions, do you feel/hear that the cambridge is a big step up from the Channel Strip? And in what situation would you choose the Channel Strip over the Cambridge and vice versa?

Thanks!

5. Scott Peterson

I have never once chose the Channel strip over Cambridge; just to be honest.

Channel strip is fine if you need a touch of something; but usually I'll just use what the DAW program I am using has instead. Cambridge? I'll find excuses to use it. :D

6. eugewong

eugewong Member

You're just making the decision tougher for me now Mr. Peterson.

Grrrrrr.... :)

Thanks for the help! I think i'll just have to order the the card and mess with it for awhile before i decide...

Then again, I could always sell a kidney and buy all the plugs!

7. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

FWIW, I hardly ever use the Cambridge, but use the Pultec, LA2a, and Pultec-Pro all the time.

8. Scott Peterson

One of the highlights of owning the card is that you do get 14 day full blown trials of all the plugs. And you get to start that 14 day trial when you want; so you don't have to try them all at once. Unless you want to.

9. eugewong

eugewong Member

Alrighty, UAD-1 card ordered, should get it in a week or so. Got a discount with a coupon, and also, they took care of me and gave me a great deal on the shipping.

Just a plug, they took great care of me at www.jrrshop.com.

And thanks for the heads up on the Demos Scott, will definitely run them through and decide then...

10. Scott Peterson

It's cool. It struck me you didn't know you get a trial period for all the premium plugs because you were so conflicted. D'oh!

11. joseph

joseph Member

Can the UAD plugs be purchased/downloaded to a computer where you burn them on a CD and install on an off-line computer?
    I'm trying to use a PC without internet access if possible. thanks

12. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

>>IMO EQ plugs are not as dramatically distinct one from the other as compressor plugs. None of them sound like great hardware, they just mimic the curves as you "twist" the "dials." If it mimics the curve of a $50K piece of hardware, who cares? It's not very exciting. There are much cheaper EQ plugs with their own curves that don't result in a track any less vital. <<

I'm not sure i agree (although i'm super biased in favor of the UAD). The Pultec, for example, will add a certain something (coloration? mojo?) when simply strapped across a mix, "on" but EQ not engaged. (discounting the roughly 1 dB boost this will cause through careful gain compensation). There are a couple of long threads on just this aspect of the Pultec plug on the UAD Forum. Some folks do the same with the Fairchild (which is obviously not an eq).

As to having to pick 2 UAD plugs, that's a toughy. It would depend on the nature of what you'll be mixing most of the time.

I use the LA2A a lot, but it's a bit billowy and slow, which is where the 1176 comes in. I'd probably pick the Fairchild above both, but not without 2nd thoughts.

I use the Cambridge a LOT, much more than the Pultec, which i also love.

Then again, i've not heard a plate from any software, plug or rack, that delivers the goods like the UAD EMT Plate.

[Next up, the Space Echo. bastards! I'm keeping mine for some head to head comparisons...]

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

OK, makes sense. A plug will still process the audio even with the dials at zero, therefore some degradation will occur. Maybe they even modeled that zeroed out state to sound like a Pultec, who knows. If it's a pleasant "something" to your ears that''s all that matters.

14. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Can the UAD plugs be purchased/downloaded to a computer where you burn them on a CD and install on an off-line computer?
    I'm trying to use a PC without internet access if possible. thanks

15. Scott Peterson

:confused: I think so.

You need to run the little app that comes with the UAD software; with it you have to authorize the plugs you use. You could download the software onto a CDROM; and then manually enter - I *think* - the codes. But I do NOT know for sure. At all.