UAD Plugin Advice :)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Craig Walker, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Newb to UAD. Just bought the Apollo Twin MkII. (also newb to DAW recording for the most part)

With their promos/freebies, here's what I have 'authorized' so far:

Marshall Plexi, Oxide Tape Recorder, Raw Distortion, Neve 1073 Preamp and EQ, UA 610B Preamp and EQ, Fairchild Tube Limiter, Neve 1073 Leg EQ, Softube Bass Room, Teletronix LA2A Leg Level, UA1176 Leg Limiter LN & SE, Pultec Pro Legacy EQ, Fairchild 670 Leg Limiter, RealVerb Room Modeler, and Helix 69 EQ.

I did their promo buy of 4 plugins for $399. What should I get?

I'm considering:
    Ocean Ways Studios
    EMT 140 Plate
    Neve 88RS

Undecided on 4th. Maybe Ampeg bass amp, as I don't have a bass amp currently :dunno

Questions:
    Is the 'Legacy' 1176 LN and SE a lite version, or is that 2 of the 3 in the 1176 collection?
    Someone here mentioned they loved the Studor A800. Worth using the 4th slot?

Any 'must haves' I need to look at? Thanks!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I like the 1073 Neve preamp

Craig Walker likes this.
  3. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

what are you mainly recording? guitar stuff?

4. Craig Walker

Guitar: Micing electric, and some acoustic. Wife plays bass and keys. Wife singing. She has some pipes :)

5. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

Almost all the stuff is pretty good. What do you actually "need" though?

The 140 plate is a must have IMO. Really like the Space Echo too.

The A800 is subtle at best... or at least, when its being used as intended and you already have the oxide.

Ocean Way is basically just another reverb. Meh.

Keep in mind you can demo all these before purchasing...

Craig Walker likes this.
  6. btg

btg Member

Look at the Ampex tape machine before the Studer IMO

the tourist and Craig Walker like this.
  7. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

One of the tape machines is really laggy if you use it while tracking. I don’t remember which though.

I love the ocean way plugin. Love the EMT plate.

Craig Walker likes this.
  8. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

Since the new Twin has Unison Pre tech, I'd do Townsend Sphere for the wifey voice.
    Dump the 88r. Go Api Vision or SSL to add another channel flavor to the Neve stuff.
    Grab a stereo Bus comp. the Vertigo is an SSL knockoff, Manley vari-mu or the 33609.
    EMT 140 or 250.. Pick your flavor.

Then you have to dust off your wallet for the Ampeg of your choice.

The Ln and Se aren't light versions. Just different Black Face flavors.

Craig Walker likes this.
  9. Occam

Occam Member

I find myself rarely using the Ocean Wave studio....maybe I'm just not using it right but I just haven't really bonded with it. One plugin that's a little off the beaten path but is one I use all the time on mixes, individual instruments, mix busses and on masters is the VSM-3. It's a saturation plugin (also does cool M/S processing)...basically just consider it the secret sauce that makes everything sound better.

One thing I'd recommend against is getting too many of the preamps. I now nearly have all of them and I really just use the API and Neve channel strips 99.999% of the time. Always wait for sales and coupon codes (you'll get nearly 1 a month or so), avoid paying full price for the plugins.

Of the 3 you listed I'd go with the EMT...great sounding reverb and I use mine all of the time.

GaryMcT and Craig Walker like this.
  10. Craig Walker

I wondered that. Thanks.

I have 45 days to pick the 4. So that should give me demo time. Great tip, thanks. Not being an audio engineer, I'm fearful I may not "get" some of the plugins. I have a basic understanding of running a board, but I'm no expert. :)

Awesome. Thanks.

I was just going off several people here saying it was their single favorite plugin.

11. Craig Walker

Am I understanding correctly that this needs the Sphere mic? May be a 'shortly down the road' purchase, as the plugin comes with the mic purchase. Thanks! Cool how you can change stuff after recorded.

12. sws1

sws1 Member

Consider getting the newer versions of the “legacy” plugins you have. 1176, 1073, pultec.

I added the API channel strip to have an alternative to Neve. (Already have SSL channel strip from Waves, otherwise I would have done that)

Craig Walker likes this.
  13. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

And as a plug to commit the performance straight away. Obviously, the Sphere mic and plug are hand and glove.
    But the plug can be used on any old mic with varying and unusual results.

Craig Walker likes this.
  14. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the sentiment not to get too many amp plugins. I have a bunch and they don’t really compare to either micing an amp or using a Suhr reactive load and a torpedo cab into the interface. Mic pres are more valuable to me.

GravityJim and Craig Walker like this.
  15. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Maybe you guys aren't recording or using the VI's that get the greatest benefit from Ocean Wave, which is one of my faves that I use all the time. Absolutely awesome on LA Scoring Strings, the Cinesamples orchestral stuff, or any sampled drum kit. Ocean Way kind of "glues" the strings together in a very realistic way.

Also, the EMT is killer. I've ended up with about 20 or more 'verbs, and the five I use all the time includes the EMT.

I have the Studer A800 and like it, but I'd probably go for the Ampeg Bass Amp first. I use mine constantly.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Craig Walker likes this.
  16. Craig Walker

Scored the Ampeg for $19 after promo discounts :D Win :)

jmoose likes this.
  17. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Good choice. I love the B15. You should hear it with my Hofner violin bass. Big, fat, woofy Beatle-y sounds.

Craig Walker likes this.
  18. clcwarlock

clcwarlock Member

Remember to keep a eye on the processing chart and how many of which plugin you can run simultaneously. I use ampex tape on the mix buss. Neve 1073 mix pre the most.

chillybilly, jmoose and Craig Walker like this.
  19. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

I don't do any VI stuff. Not even 2% of my workload... its zero. Pretty much all live miking all the time.

Likewise I don't use any amp modeling. Not from UAD or anyone else. No opinions on any of it.

One of the shops I sometimes work out of has most of the UAD plugs, they've been invested for over a decade so I've had a chance to use quite a few of them. I know what I would pick for my own workflow and aesthetic but I doubt my choices would work well for everyone. Its easy to collect plugins... much harder to pick stuff that actually works in context.

There's a good point there about the processing chart and running out of juice. Some of these are really power hungry and eat DSP faster then you might think! I've certainly maxed out quad cards without realizing it... sometimes with less then a dozen things running so then you need to pick and choose, maybe run a native version of something like an EQ to retain UAD headroom.

I know that if ever made the move to mixing entirely ITB and ran UAD I'd absolutely need the octo card. At the same time I can't help but feel like a UAD v3 is coming sooner or later... those SHARC dsp's are getting long in the tooth.

20. Occam

Occam Member

An Apollo Twin is tough because it’s just a tease. For me it was a lot of printing or freezing plugins but to free up cpu but I decided to get a pair of 8p’s for tracking my band at the studio and I waited till there were 20% off deals plus free quad processors for both. I got an Octo before that as a present from my wife and now I’ve got processing for days. Everything digital is half obsolete the minute it comes out. I’m slowly building my mic’s but I think I’ll stick with ITB. I’ll never afford the amount and variety of analog gear to compare. I’ve had my band record on tape and it’s great but the hardware world just doesn’t have a strong enough pull to get me to invest fully in it.