UAD Plugin Advice :)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Craig Walker, Dec 2, 2017.

1. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Another vote for the EMT140 here. I've been switching out many of my 88RS instances to the new SSL E Ch Strip. I found it more musical than other plugin companies versions which I have. It just sounds great! API Ch Vision hasn't gotten a lot of use for me. Ocean Way is great too especially if you use amp modeling or VIs. Another one I dig a lot is the 610A (the 610B is really good too). Tons of character, usually track bass with this one. There's a lot of great ones but you'll want to demo them and see what works best for your scenario.

As someone mentioned check the DSP that each uses. I run 2 Octo's basically, since I don't want to run out of horsepower doing larger mixes for a client. I do use a lot of non UAD plugs too and find when I don't want to max out my UAD instances I'll pull in a comparison non UAD. It's not uncommon for me to use 4-5 different UAD reverbs in a mix, but some in mono so I do save a bit of DSP usage.

2. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Explain to me in 'dummy' terms what the OCTO is please :)

So like I bought the Apollo Twin DUO, and it expands the processing power of how many UAD plugins you can run?

3. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Duo, Quad and Octo are UADs terms for how many DSP chips in the unit. I have two Duo cards in my Mac, the equivalency of a Quad. An Octo has twice the DSP horsepower of that.

4. Craig Walker

Thanks.......So you pair it with the Twin to expand processing power? (run more plugins at once)

5. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Yep, you can do that.

Craig Walker likes this.
  6. Craig Walker

7. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I run a Satelite Thunderbolt Octo box, and nice hardware pres so I don’t have, or miss any preamp emulations. That said I can do most mixes with a small collection of my favorites, being the newer UAD 1176 comps, the UAD API EQs, and the UAD 140 reverb. For guitar the UAD echoplex (whatever they call it) is awesome to have also. I’ll typically use Melodyne Editor for any tuning needed, and I almost always use the UAD precision limiter for mastering. I have some other UAD plugins, but the essential 4-5 cover most of what I ever need. I’ll also mention I usually simply mic amps for guitar, but my Suhr RL and Two Notes CAB come in handy for silent recording. I like the fact that the CAB runs internally at 96k, giving very little latency. Then I’m free to run my DAW toned down to even 44.1k without any impact on my monitoring latency.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Craig Walker likes this.
  8. Major Dude

Major Dude Supporting Member

I have the Apollo Twin and bought the Ocean Way plugin off the back of many rave reviews but have rarely used it, so far at least.

In no particular order my fave go-to plugs are the Studer, Fairchild 660/670 and Neve 1073

I would like the EMT

Craig Walker likes this.
  9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got the Apollo Twin Duo, and a Mac Pro (trash can) and Pro Tools HDX. I use the Apollo for the amp simulations... Got the Fender 55', the two Friedman amps and the Chandler. If I could get a really great blackface twin, I'd be set......I'm probably going to add the Octo card to my Sonnet box.

Craig Walker likes this.
  10. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I forgot I also have the UAD Lexicon 224 reverb. I probably use that more than the 140 actually.

GravityJim likes this.
  11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

For me the 4th would be either the Manley Variable MU
    or the Fairchild Tube Collection.

Craig Walker likes this.
  12. Craig Walker

Ended up going:

Ocean Ways Studios - word of mouth (although I know some don't like) and demos sound awesome
    Ampex ATR-102 - liked what I heard in demos
    API strip
    EMT 140

Was trying to pick "bang for the buck" choices, since it was $399 for 4. Picking 4 at $99 didn't make much sense.

Also added the 59 Plexi for $25 and Ampeg SVT for $19 after coupons :beer

I'll still keep my eyes on all suggestions as a learn/progress in future. Thanks everyone.

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Craig, did you demo any of the amp simulations?

14. Craig Walker

You mean preamps or the Marshall, Fender, Friedman stuff?

I bought the Marshall '59 and the Amp SVT in the virtual amps. Mainly for quiet practice :)

15. sws1

sws1 Member

The Marshall Plexi classic was released free in the latest firmware update. At least for Apollo users. Sounds great.