Uberschall, anyway to tighten it up a little?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tri7/5, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

I've been in a love/hate relationship with this amp for a while now. I love the leads for rock and metal stuff, smooth/liquidy/and warm with plenty of gain clarity. Seriously though if there was ever a thing as an amp sounding just too huge and loose this is it for rhythm playing. Is there any way to just get this thing under control a little bit more? I'm not meaning ENGL or VHT tight but just a little more under control. I'm not a pedal guy and running an OD in front of an amp like this just seems like heresy.

2. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

An OD pedal or some type of clean boost is your answer... Back off the gain on the amp itself, then use a pedal into the front to bring it up to the levels you need. There's no doubt it will be tighter.

You said you don't like the idea of using a pedal, but that's the answer. I don't know of any other way to tigthen it up. Oh wait, what speakers and cab are you using?

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I have used graphic eq's in the efx loops to tighten up flubby amps. Like Sarge said, boost upfront works too..

4. vchizzle

vchizzle Member

about the only thing I could think for you to try is JJ KT-77's in the power section. They probably rank close to the top in terms of tight bottom. I don't think the difference would be noticeable enough to solve your problem though.

I'm not sure what you could do outside of running pedal(I'm not a fan of it either too much) or having it modded. Modding will void your warranty I'm sure(unless Bogner does it).

I hate to say, but maybe its time to look for a new amp if you're that unhappy with the rhythm tone/tightness.

FWIW, most metal players are boosting their amp for one reason or another. Seems like they all have some pedal out there. Maybe give it a shot if you haven't already tried just to see.

5. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

When I run my SLO through my two greenbacks it's actually very loose compared to when I run it through my 412 with G12H30s...speakers and cabinets make a massive difference to how tight an amp sounds, much more so than tubes would ever do. I'm pretty sure the Uberschall is meant to be one of the tightest amps out there so I'd tinker round with trying different speaker/cabinet combinations.

Plus make sure you're not playing a vintage telecaster through it :D

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

What are your settings?

The "tightest" tones from the Uber come with the lead channel presence at 2:00 or above and the treble at 1:00 or above IMHO.

The UberKab helps a bit, but it will never feel/play like a VHT UL. :D

7. Troser

Troser Member

I've had this issue with an Uberschall before. The problem is mostly in your power tubes; this amp was designed for high-gain, modern preamp tubes, but it will still benefit from a good USA or British NOS 12ax7, ECC83, or CV4004 tube in the first position.

That said, perhaps more important on the Uberschall is the power tube selection. I had one that was tubed with Mullard XF2's and it was devastating. After I wore those out (they were used to begin with), I put a hot quartet of JJ e34l's in it, and it just plain sucked in comparison. Either buy a really good vintage reissue tube, good NOS tubes (very expensive), or try KT-66's with a bias adjustment... they gave me the tightness and crunch of 6l6's on the bottom, and the singing lead of an el34 on the top, when used in my early Dual Recto. Prior to that, it was muddy on the bottom; the KT-66's "fixed" it in one fell swoop.

Power tubes, almost for sure.

Also, this head is meant to be played through a tight speaker; if you're using Greenbacks or similar, it will be muddy. The "minimum" speaker for the Uberschall is a Vintage 30, and if I recall correctly the factory Uberschall cab used a pair of V30's and a pair of Classic Lead 80's; it benefits from a tighter speaker.

8. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't

Which cab are you using?

The Uber is voiced for the Uberkab and is very tight as a combination.

Matt

9. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what the cab was loaded with that I was playing through. It was a Marshall 4x12 of some sort. I don't actually own this amp but I always play them when possible and would love to love this amp. The lead tones keep me awake at night, I just find myself continually trying to dial a rhythm tone.

What was the Cameron mod someone did to this? Made the cleans incredible, very Shiva-ish, but not sure what it does to the crunch channel?