?uestion about restoring/prolonging plastic eyeglass frames

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by micycle, May 15, 2015.

1. micycle

micycle Member

I have a favorite pair of glasses, big dark plastic clunky frames, that were starting to turn white in areas after 4 years of being worn all day on my sweaty melon. Regardless of how much I clean and take care of any plastic frames I own this eventually happens - it's just how my skin is (plus, it's plastic). I took them in to the place I bought them at to get buffed out - they said they could do it but warned that taking a layer of plastic off might weaken them in areas. I said fine, do it.

Got them back yesterday, they look like new now, however the tech pointed out the areas of the temples that rest on my ear are starting to crack and that I'll need new glasses soon (true, as you can see in the pic, but I'm sure they're also trying to sell me glasses). Here's what both look like:

[​IMG]

Is there anything like a brush-on plastic or a dip I could put on these areas to get a few more miles out of the frames? The cracks don't go all the way around, just about halfway around the bottom where the frames contact my skin.. and I'm sure will last a while yet but I'd like to slow down the deterioration if I can. I got them at a boutique place and they were pretty spendy (thank you, Groupon), I can't find another pair of this make/model anywhere, I love them, but more importantly I don't have $ to blow on new frames right now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. grill

grill Member

3. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

4. micycle

micycle Member

Thanks, I was eyeballing the clear version of that on Amazon! Worth trying and at least testing on a crappy pair of sunglasses just to see how/if it would work. I would think there would be some sort of thing like that that becomes a super rock hard, tough plastic but that's the closest thing I've been able to find so far.

Mr. Kite likes this.