Ugh...cab/speaker choices. Mojo, Avatar, THD...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

This is more muck to wade through than I ever really thought. I'm just trying to find a good lightweight 2x12 for my Guytron. I've heard an open back Mojo with an Eminence speaker that's nice and big, but kind of fuzzy. I hear TONS of great things about the THD and Avatar cabs, but haven't plugged into one.
    Not sure if I need to stick to closed back cabs either....Also been researching speakers and sounds on Celestions site.

Anyone with advice and insight, I'd LOVE to hear from you.

:messedup :confused:

2. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

Has anyone mixed 2-12's and 2-10's in a 4 speaker cabinet?

Of course, I've seen the Tone Tubby guys mix 2 Alnico 10's and 2 Ceramic 10's in a 4 x 10 Cabinet.

Cheers,
    Thom

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Budda makes a "1210" cab

4. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Eminence Governors in a Trutone Cabinet.

The Gov's are well balanced, effecient speakers.

The Trutones are (imho) some great cabs that just keep flying under the radar. He uses solid pine boards (knots removed/replaced, so no bleed thru), tight construction, and for what you get, cheap. http://www.trutonecustom.com/

Plus, for 20-25 bucks, he'll make it a convertable; removable middle back slat so you can go either open or closed.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Cabs don't sound fuzzy, speakers and amps do!

Just get the cab configuration you want with the looks you like, then find the speakers that match your amp.

For me and my Soldano it's an Avatar Vintage 2x12 open with Hellatone 60L's. Zero fuzz.

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I had Bob Burt make me an antique pine, V-1012 cabinet, with exactly that - 2 x 10s + 2 x 12s.

I have it configured like this...

Upper left - 10" Fane AXA10 - alnico - 100W
    Upper right - 12" Fane AXA12 - alnico - 100W
    Lower left - 12" Scholz - ceramic - 100W
    Lower right - 10" Eminence Ragin Cajun - ceramic - 75W

Each speaker is 8 ohms and has a separate jack. I can use any one or two speakers in combination with my Kingsley Deluxe 32C, and the remaining two speakers are used for a stereo wet/wet signal. It's awesome!

With this setup I can get 10 different speaker setups, including each speaker by itself, 2 x 10s, 2 x 12s, and 4 different 10 + 12 combinations, with a variety of ceramic & alnico combinations. I have yet to find another cabinet more versatile than this one.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

You should have added a JBL D130...THEN you'd have something to cover the bases :)

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm going to try the new Celestion Alnico G12 Gold in place of the Fane AXA12, and a Heritage G12-65 in place of the Scholz, which I'll put in a new 1-12.

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I highly reccomend Mojo cabs. I recently got one and the construction is great and the prices arent bad either. As for 12s and 10s. One 12 and two 10s would probably be more successful because the 10s arent moving as much air per speaker. The one 12 would probably pull its weight along with the 2 tens. Here is my cab just for fun:
    [​IMG]

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

You'd be surprised how good a 12" + 10" sounds, especially when you mix a 12" alnico and 10" ceramic and vice versa. You can definitely hear the differences - subtle, but quite noticeable. The 10" tightens up the sound a bit over 2 x 12s.

11. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

How about the Ear Candy stuff? They seem to pride themselves on their engineering, build and sound quality moreso than others.
    Not that it really means anything I suppose...unless it can be backed up of course.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm planning to get one more 1-12, and have decided on an EarCandy Sovereign 1-12.

13. Phineas

Phineas Member

Aside from it's tone, the earcandy's add to the versatility equation due to the porting which will give you something like an open and closed back feel; a better spread w. tighter bottom end.

14. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Plenty of engineering, build, and sound quality behind the THD, including their super-riffic port design, handle placement, yummy tone, etc, etc.

15. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Brother, I feel your pain. I think speakers are the tough part.

I got a Guytron closed back cab for my Guytron FV and loaded it with scumbacks. It sounds pretty F-ing good.

16. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Interestingly enough, I've 'settled' for the time being on an oversized Mojotone 1x12 openback cab with an Eminence in it. I want to pick up a 2x12 soon and will more than likely go with the Guytron closed back. Though, it's just a Mojotone cab too....

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

ha!

nice grill logo... where'd you get it?