Ugh. Computer Upgrades! I now appreciate dongles.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

After a few calls to Tech Support in a brief period when I started experiencing crashes, the MOTU people suggested I have the machine tested by Apple. "Sounds like a hardware problem," they said. And they were right. Somehow, one of the memory modules on my beloved iMac G5 became fried.

The iMac was under warranty, but while Apple was fixing it, I still needed a computer for the project I'm working on, so I picked up a more powerful dual processor G5 tower.

What was I waiting for (ok, I REALLY like the configuration of the iMac, it's so damn pretty)! But the bigger Macs are awesome.

The big G5 machines are wicked powerful. Then came the reinstallation and the reauthorizations of software...endless, endless...ya know, this whole copy protection thing is the BIGGEST pain in the derriere...

:crazyguy

I literally spent one entire night...I mean, ENTIRE...like til 4AM...dealing with the reinstallation of all my software, getting updates, and visiting websites for authorization codes (not the MOTU stuff, or iLok stuff, all the OTHER stuff I use). Well I have lots of software, but this was much worse than necessary. And what made it worse? The damned authorization processes. In one case, because I'd wiped my disk to reinstall system software on my other machine, I had to email them for a new code, because I'd gotten an installation code only a few days before, and they were concerned that I might be a "pirate." AS IF!!

Yes, everything works extremely well. I can do more with the machine. BUT WHAT A HUMAN COST! I was totally out of commission the next day, and this came right in the middle of my work on a project with a deadline.

The good thing about dongles like the iLok is that once you're authorized, that's it. You install the software and the updates, and you don't need to visit some website for permission to actually use what you've bought and paid for.

I always hated those dongle things, but now I think they make life a little easier.

I should point out that I always appreciated my own personal dongle. ;)

PS - My son gets the iMac for his recording rig. He's happy, it's only a few months old, and faster than his iBook.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I feel your pain, brother.

3. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Well some folks have had the pace software do a number on there system! There is no elegant solution to those pirates, and that constant "RRRRR" thing is most irritating to!:Spank

Really , F'ing w/ computers is a part of life in general now . is'nt it????

Glad you did'nt need to bring in the geek squad!!!!

4. joseph

joseph Member

In my case, it's more of a dingle.

When this happens, don't you think back fondly to the days when recording studio meant analog tape? ie, things go wrong, but much simpler to figure out.

I'm just a hobbyist and it still cold cocks me.....you're rocking along, marvelling at the sound/capabilities, then all of a sudden you're best song 'isn't there' anymore, or garbled beyond belief. As a hobbyist I only back up once a week or so, so it's gone. I know pros need to do it daily at least.

It's still amazing to me how many people have finances, family pics, great american novel, etc on their PC.........without a back-up.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>When this happens, don't you think back fondly to the days when recording studio meant analog tape? ie, things go wrong, but much simpler to figure out<<

YES!!! I still miss my big analog tape machine. WTF was I thinking when I sold it to get one of the early hard disk systems (which I lost 90% of my investment on)?

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

More importantly, if one little piece of tape gets damaged the rest is still good. If a few bytes of a digital file are corrupted, or a tiny section of a volume header block on a hard drive, forget it. You're done!

( JMO, but that ain't enough to make me nostalgic. :) )

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I hate laptops. All laptops. I don't care who makes them. They're good for basic functions, and some fun stuff at best, and you'd better make sure you backup often.

Which brings me to this old Mac G4 (500mhz, model 5884) Titanium 15 inch Powerbook I'm working on for one of my DV clients.

Talk about a finicky, willful POS of a computer this thing is. I just can't get the latest OS (10.4) on it. I got OS 9.22 on no problem. I got 10.3.X on it, no problem. Went to do the Tiger upgrade, and boom...nothing...won't install anything but OS 9.22 anymore without failing.

The client is going to be pissed, but I've already just stopped billing him for it after it went boom on the 10.4 upgrade, it's just not right to get so close to completion, then keep billing them when there's a hardware or installation issue.

Now, it's just a matter of "I want to know why?"...and at the end of the day, if the damned thing won't run OS X anymore, I'll probably get told "Just keep it, Jim!"

After that, it might get a lobotomy, but 500 mhz just ain't squat for processor speed anymore, so I doubt it.

But, I feel your pain, Les...I'm only working on this laptop cuz I've got ice on my knee from a slight injury I sustained on Saturday, so it's not like I would bust my nuts onsite for this machine. But I've learned my lesson on upgrading mid project, that's a definite no-no.

I'll bet you've learned this now, too...huh? ;)

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>I'll bet you've learned this now, too...huh? <<

I keep learning it. Over and over. ;)

9. Scumback Speakers

Sorry! Next time you'll probably pull a Nancy Reagan and "Just Say No!"...huh? Hang in there, the 10.4.7 upgrade kills your Entourage mail application, just found that out yesterday, too.

I dropped back down to 10.4.5 and got my emails back...if I lost all 26,000 and had to "import" them again from a backup, I'd be really pissed. So, yeah, I feel your pain! Immensely!

Have a good weekend, alright? :eek:

10. HammyD

HammyD Member

I upgraded 50 Mac's running Entoruage to 10.4.7 without a hitch. You might want to run the Disk Utility" and repair permissions.

11. HammyD

HammyD Member

Unless you have a specific program only for system 9/Classic, do a clean install of OSX only and you should have no problems. I manage 50 Mac's and everyone that I have cleaned and installed OSX only purrs like a kitten.

BTY OSX likes RAM, lottsa RAM. All the new Mac's I have order have a least a Gig and on my new Black MacBook I order 2 gigs of RAM.

12. elambo

elambo Member

That really sucks! But try losing a dongle or having one go corrupt or faulty in some way. That would take days to remedy by the time you get another. I've had a few hard drive crashes in the past year and have had to start over from scratch with all the authorizations and registrations, etc. It's HORRIBLE to think about, but I have to admit, now that I'm done (I just went through it a few weeks ago), it wasn't bad and my machine is snappity quick again.

I have a program called Pastor that tracks all of my authorizations and serial numbers and current versions and related websites, etc. It's appropriately named because it's "saved" my ass a few times, or at least saved time.

Now, since I've been through this so many times, I keep a folder on my audio drive that contains ALL software installs and upgrades so that they're easy to get to if I ever need them again. There's another copy of this folder on another ftp server away from home. I also schedule Retrospect to do a complete backup once a week so I can get back quickly. I know this doesn't help authorizations that are based on System IDs, but I've found software companies to be very forgiving of authorizations lost to hardware failure as long as you explain to them what happened.

It hurt me just to read your thread. I hate that initial feeling know that you have to start over again.

(I'm still avoiding iLok whenever possible)

13. Scumback Speakers

Well aware of the DU and running/verifying disk permissions. I do that a couple of times a week anyway. Let me know where you got the 10.4.7 then, OK? The one on Apple's site to me downloaded with a "digital signature" error the first time, and wasn't installed but put in the trash.

Then I downloaded the "standalone" 10.4.7 combo update for PPC (I have a 1.25 ghz G4 with 1.5gb of ram), and that's when it went bonkers. I'm not a complete sap, I actually do this for a living (www.lamacguru.com, not that you would know that), too.

I'm pretty sure the 10.4.7 download was the culprit, but if you downloaded it on Wednesday or Thursday, maybe I was just unlucky...gotta mirror site or somewhere else to get it?

There's also an Entourage update dated 6/13/06 you have to do as well. Or did you already have that one installed?

14. HammyD

HammyD Member

I just ran the normal software updates via the system preferences but have not updated Entourage.

And was not implying you were a SAP! And did not know your background. Just when I took over at the college my predacessor was having all sorts of problems and after I performed clean installs and removed OS9, all our problems went away....

I do not have Entourage on my home system, but will check versions and record of updates when I go back to work on Monday and e-mail you. Maybe its the Entourage update?

Also a thought....our Network Admin ran some MS updates and patches and we experienced problems with dial up Mac users tring to reach their e-mail accounts off of campus. He found some patches and corrected the problem. Could it be the server from your IP? Maybe nothing you did at all!

15. Orren

Orren Member

That's why Apple developed their Mail application and iCal... ;)

Orren

16. elambo

elambo Member

Yeah, I switched to Apple Mail, reluctantly at first, but it's been great. Not quite as slick at Entourage, but certainly faster. In general I think I'm happier with Mail.

Entourage and 10.4.7 is working fine for some coworkers who use it. I'm sure they're up-to-date with the current version of Entourage though. If you haven't done that already, I'd suggest running the Microsoft updater and getting all the Office updates.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Any further info on this issue? I just now updated Office before reading this thread, but have not yet run the OS update.

18. elambo

elambo Member

I just upgraded my laptop to 10.4.7 and Entourage works fine and I haven't even run the Microsoft updater in over two months.

19. HammyD

HammyD Member

I think I know the problem Southbay had...

"I dropped back down to 10.4.5 and got my emails back...if I lost all 26,000 and had to "import" them again from a backup, I'd be really pissed. So, yeah, I feel your pain! Immensely!"

I encountered the same problem with a user that had of 2 Gig's of e-mail! Entourage (and Outlook as far as I can) has a 2 gig limit on the file that handles the e-mail. Go over the limit and the blue screen hits the fan.

And since Southbay had problems wht his original download I would think it has more to do with that than anything else.

I am back at the office (college) on Monday morning and will update the few remaining Mac's including the new Intel Imac G5's and report back as soon as I know something.

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

First of all, I ran the OS update last night and Entourage is working fine.

Thanks for the info about the limit. It may be (though I don't know for sure) that certain folders in the database have their own limits. My wife's Entourage database was close to 500 megs when it fried. She had thousands of emails in her Inbox, some of it dating back 3 years or more, attachments and all. Scrolling about 1/3 of the way down we'd hit a grey box. I rebuilt the database but it didn't fix the problem. I deleted as many as I felt I could get away with, created categorized sub-folders for most of the rest till she was left with less than 100 in the Inbox. Then I rebuilt and it worked fine.

I restored her last "good" database from a backup and zipped it down, just in case I deleted something critical.

Rebuilding is sometimes dicey. I've done it twice in the last few years and the last time my links got obliterated. Not a great loss, but they were handy.