• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ugh... Is Phillip McKnight right about string shelf life?..

Short Tooth

It was part of a recent longer podcast - can't find to link(edit:added link below). But he spent a fair amount of time talking about string shelf life. I have a nice stash of Ernie's and D'Addario's. According to him, Ernie's sealed last 6 months in the package, and D'Addario's vacuum sealed packs last a year. Is this a wild exaggeration? I have strings on guitars longer than that, and they operate and sound fine. Also, had a bump defect recently and just wrapped a high grit sand paper around defect and buffed it out. String still sound great. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? :drown

Last edited:

RG7X

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder where those numbers come from? An actual study? Storage conditions (temp, humidity, etc.) being a major factor of course... At the end of the day, I can't see it being a huge deal unless you think there will be an upcoming ban on guitar strings.

RC Mike

Don’t doubt your own experience. The thing to understand about YT personas is that they’re selling something. Every. Single. Thing. They. Publish. Is. About. Selling. Something.

Youtube has become useless as a source of reviews. There’s no credibility. That extends to everything that a person who makes their living off of YT touches.

Short Tooth

Don’t doubt your own experience. The thing to understand about YT personas is that they’re selling something. Every. Single. Thing. They. Publish. Is. About. Selling. Something.

Youtube has become useless as a source of reviews. There’s no credibility. That extends to everything that a person who makes their living off of YT touches.
I'm a boiled frog brutha...

Cheddar Kung Pao

Platinum Supporting Member
It was part of a recent longer podcast - can't find to link. But he spent a fair amount of time talking about string shelf life. I have a nice stash of Ernie's and D'Addario's. According to him, Ernie's sealed last 6 months in the package, and D'Addario's vacuum sealed packs last a year. Is this a wild exaggeration? I have strings on guitars longer than that, and they operate and sound fine. Also, had a bump defect recently and just wrapped a high grit sand paper around defect and buffed it out. String still sound great. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? :drown
i mean if you think super old strings feel and sound fine then you do you. They do not sound or feel like new strings, though.

diogoguitar

I kind of doubt he would say something this way and put his credibility on the line.

edit: Thanks for the updated link. Basically he's saying "my friend's uncle's sister in law said [...]" and didn't quote a specific number that HE thinks. Idk, he quoted a random number on a live recording without thinking too much about it.

^^ that means your sealed string bags went bad and you should send them my way

Last edited:

CapnRex

Just pee on your strings; the acidity removes all the corrosion. Better if you drink orange juice first. You can put them in a container of urine or you can just pee carefully with the guitar neck turned sideways.

(This is now also information that you have read on the internet.)

Twoinch

i mean if you think super old strings feel and sound fine then you do you. They do not sound or feel like new strings, though.
Steel.... Sealed in plastic? Umm..

They aren't perishable goods.

I've used strings sealed in plastic over a decade.. There is literally zero effect on the strings.. They are STEEL. It doesn't age or spoil... Unless humidity gets to it.

Period.

The 6 month for this brand.. A year for this brand... Is all malarkey. 100% bull.

The wire that the strings are made of very likely sat for long periods of time before even being made into strings... And before that, likely sat even longer before being drawn into the raw wire...

Last edited:

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
Assuming the strings were packaged and sealed in a dry environment they should last forever. A few months ago I found a pack of Slinky’s in the old clear plastic packaging. There’s no telling how many years ago I bought them and they still looked like new.
That said I have opened some new packs that had oxidation on them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom