Uh, don't try this with your vintage Bassman... but I did

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Foolish, I know.. but all this talk of how EVH got his 1st album tone, with some folks claiming he "slaved" a Fender Showman into a Marshall, effectively turning the Fender into a big overdrive... it all got me thinking...

so I thought "screw it" and plugged the ext. speaker out into a cab, just to see what that would sound like.. this is dangerous, you are supposed to use the main out first and only plug in the ext. jack if the main out is seeing a cab...

Well, it's very quiet and it sounds AWESOME. IMHO.

Here's a clip, click on Bassman ext. out:

http://music.mp3lizard.com/peterthorn/

I could easily hear how this, in front of a Marshall plexi, would sound just awwesome- I tried it into my badger for a minute and it sounded really great... so now I'm like, great the Bassman makes the best OD box in the world but I'll probably blow it up if I keep this up!

2. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

awesome! Load and dangerous = total rock n roll

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

Yeah, you don't really want to do that. The Bassman has a resistor between the jack and ground, shorting most of the signal. The intent is to protect the amp in case you accidentally turn it on without a speaker attached, or in case the speaker cable gets pulled out while the amp is on. But it's not intended to be played that way full time. If you want to do this you'll want to run the amp into a load box that will put a 4 ohm load onto the output transformer, with an integrated line out that you can pad down to instrument level before going into the front of your Marshall.

Sounded great though! Like you always do. :cool:

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

hmm, so i could take an amp, jack the main speaker out to an attenuator that has a line out, and jack that line out to another amp's input? then crank the first amp to get its natural amp OD, to feed the second amp, where i have the option to OD further by cranking THAT amp up...

oh yeah.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

What's funny is how quiet it actually is- I had to CRANK my mic pre to get adequate signal

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

But- will it sound the same if I put a 4 ohm load on the amp? Will that sound I'm getting be altered by plugging in the main speaker out? It doesn't sound like any Bassman I've ever heard!!

7. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Damn that sounds great!

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Get an attenuator with a line out, do this right. A weber mass or 4ohm THD hotplate will do the trick....

9. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy Senior Member

Umm not sure what u meant but this is how it reads to me:

"I plugged the secondary speaker out into a speaker cab"

What is different or unusual about that?

10. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

My Mesa SOB has the regular 8-ohm speaker out and two 4-Ohm extension speakers outs

I unplug the regular speaker and plug one of the 4-Ohm jacks into a 4-0hm cab.

Is this 'dangerous' for the amp?

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

There's only one way to find out. ;)

It may not, the load put on the OT may be causing it to sound a bit different. How close to that sound does the Bassman sound if you plug into the main speaker jack and crank it up just as much?

He did not have anything plugged nto the main speaker jack. On a ender amp the main jack is grounded thru a large value resistor. If you don't plug something into it the signal is gerounded thru that resistor. The intent is to save the amp, as a large resistance is better than an open load. In order to use the ext speaker jack on a Fender amp you must first have a speaker load plugged into the main jack, then you can use the ext. speaker.

I'm not really familiar with the MB amp, but I don't think this is dangerous. It sounds to me like this is how it's supposed to be used. But I'll defer to someone who knows Boogie amps.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Your clip sounds great. I use my blonde Bassman head as a "preamp" too... into a Hot Plate with the Line Out to a DL4/Nova Reverb/Flexi 50.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

nope, that's exactly how you're supposed to do it.

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

well, I have attenuators, unfortunately not a 4 ohm one though... but I don't think my bassman sounds like what you hear on that clip when I just plug it into a cab or load it down using the main out. I think something's going on with the amp when you do it the "wrong" way, using the external speaker out....

15. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Wow. What a shock. That sounds great Peter!

16. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Sounds great Pete -- nothing like any Bassman I've ever heard!

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

pretty cool, huh?

A fellow on the Metro forum posted this with regards to the sound I'm getting:

What I think it means is the output tubes are pretty much only seeing the resistance of the primary winding - typically only a couple hundred ohms (versus a few thousand for a normal load with speaker) - and probably multiplied only by the very low resistance of the secondary winding itself (usually less than 1 ohm). This would have the tubes operating in an extremely inefficient and non-linear part of their response curves, hence would yield very little output and lots of distortion - maybe just barely enough to produce a weak signal through the speaker. The power tubes themselves are most likely being overdriven well beyond what you get simply diming the amp the normal way, because they're not seeing anything even close to a normal load.

For what it's worth, I did this nearly thirty years ago with a silver face Deluxe, pretty much the same result. Very low output to the speaker, very heavy overdrive tone, very good sound though

19. Crikey

Crikey Member

That's an old Bassman? Wow!

Crikey

20. Curly

Curly Member

I agree ... great clip, lots of sustain.