• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Uh, my nut just fell off?

FiremanMike

PRS SE Paul's Guitar, I've had it about a year.

I was changing strings and cleaning and the nut just fell off. Doesn't look like there's much in the way of glue marks.. and there's definitely no friction that keeps it on there.

So how do I fix this?

Killed_by_Death

I put a small dab of Elmer's on both ends & then wrap a rubber-band around to hold it in place, put the strings back on it tomorrow.

Alpione

Silver Supporting Member
I've had this happen on occasion when the guitar gets dried out and the glue loses it's strength. Not usually on a guitar just a year old, but it's an easy fix and no big deal.

RRfireblade

As long as it didn't fall off in public, you'll be fine.

To be honest, it doesn't even really need to be glued on, the strings hold it in place just fine. The glue is really just to keep it there so it doesn't fall off while you're changing strings. So if you put any on, just a dab.

mike_m

I’ve got this problem with an epiphone acoustic. It only falls off when the air dries out in the fall. It hasn’t bothered me enough to fix it, I just make sure to keep it centered as I bring the strings up to pitch. Idk why I never thought to just put a dab of glue on, maybe I’ll do this next time I change strings!

bigben55

Well, never thought of that. The nut on my Alvarez Yairi DY50N fell off like 20 years ago. I super glued it back on, never had another issue. BUT, it probably is due for a refret, and I know my tech always puts a new nut on when he does that. I'll have to warn him......

The thing is, you want it to come off easily, for repair work. That’s why a little drop of Elmer’s is all you need. One of the most frustrating tasks in guitar repair is trying to remove a nut someone superglued on without damaging anything... :FM

dewey decibel

Well, never thought of that. The nut on my Alvarez Yairi DY50N fell off like 20 years ago. I super glued it back on, never had another issue. BUT, it probably is due for a refret, and I know my tech always puts a new nut on when he does that. I'll have to warn him......
Yeah, it’s a common mistake! First thing I learned; there’s no reason to use superglue on a guitar, ever. I mean, if you have knob or plastic part that’s broken/cracked and you’re trying to repair it that’s different. But yeah, it’s no fun when someone has superglued all the knobs to the pots and you need to remove them, especially when the guitar has a nice flamed top...

SpaceCat

Yeah, it’s a common mistake! First thing I learned; there’s no reason to use superglue on a guitar, ever. I mean, if you have knob or plastic part that’s broken/cracked and you’re trying to repair it that’s different. But yeah, it’s no fun when someone has superglued all the knobs to the pots and you need to remove them, especially when the guitar has a nice flamed top...
I see big time pro luthiers using superglue all the time for repairs on YouTube. Drop fills, mixing with baking soda to use as a hardener, etc. All kinds of superglue tricks.

Obsessive Tinkerer

Silver Supporting Member
Your nut fell off? I’d go to the emergency room and see the on call urologist rather than looking for advice on a music forum!! Oh wait… string nut…. never mind. I light touch of superglue is the answer. Not to much, just enough to hold it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom