Uh-Oh..A Les Paul craving...which one?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drolling, Jan 22, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

I weaned myself off humbuckers 30 years ago and said I'd never go back, but lately I've been playing w/more gain on a borrowed '70 Les Paul.

And loving it! That beautiful, controllable feedback that you can coax out of the tail of a note or chord.. I didn't realize how much I missed that.

Short scale's pretty cool, too. After all these years on a vintage radiused strat w/skinny frets, the LP's ridiculously easy to play.

So - what's the best *bang-for-buck* les paul on the current market? I'd consider Epis & clones, too, if the tone and feel are there..

Suggestions??

Thanks,
    david

2. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

used gibson custom shop historic years 2001 and newer 57 gt reissue about $1600. to $1800.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Aint that sweet? The note kind of blooms and swells...........[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]!!

Can I give you another option? Hollow body with humbuckers like a ES 335 or even a Tele Custom. The notes fill up that body and sound really sweet if your good with the Volume knob. [​IMG]

4. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

+1 on the R7 if it's in your budget. If you are looking for something a little less you can look at used Classics. They have a thinner neck that might be more comfortable for you to play coming from a strat. MF has the Epi Elites on sale for $799 right now but I would go with one of the Japanese clones before I would do that. Japanese clones like the Tokai, Orville, Burny and Greco come to mind. You can usually pick one up in the $500-$1000 range depending on make and model!

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

If you only have $800, the Epi Elites are well documented here as great values. Not to mention the Japanese import copies whose bargain repros are more than lauded in these parts. If you can swing a few hundy more, get a Studio--that was my first "real" Paul and I've had it for 18 years and still pick it up at least once a week. Try the Classics--I've never taken to them because of the smaller neck carve but if that's your thing...

I agree wholeheartedly with the above posters who suggested keeping your eye out for a Historic. Since the price drop on them it is silly to purchase a new Standard. But I would suggest against buying used unless you can play the instrument beforehand. You might find a used R8 or R7 for $2k (not too sure about those $1600 claims--I bird dog ebay every day) but it will be sight unseen. Guitar Center (I know, I know) will push a R8 out the door for $2100. And you can play it.

Of course you will play it right next to some skateboarder who has plugged an out of tune Ibanez into a mudflap girl Peavey amp and has lowered the midrange and cranked up the gain and is playing his special version of the latest Blink 123 song...:eek:

6. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

The $1600 R7 stories are true. I am proof. I bought this about 4 months ago for exactly $1600 and about a 1 hour drive to pick it up. It's a 1999 R7.
    [​IMG]

Prices may have come up a bit but good deals are still out there. Classics can be had for $1100-$1200. I know I sold my Classic to pay for the R7. I got about $1150 from a GP member.

7. jpage

Right on Bud. Beauty. I'm just saying that it's not a deal that comes across the desk every day. And I know that feeling when you decide you want something, you really don't feel like waiting for six months for that crazy deal to come along...;)

8. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Well I am not looking to fight with you...just pointing out the facts as I see them. Your view may be different. At the time I made the R7 purchase it was not out of the ordinary to see R7's going for under $1800. I had seen at least 5 on TGP sell for between $1600 and $1800 which prompted me to start looking to trade up. As I said prices may have gone up a bit but deals are still out there and you don't have to wait 6 months.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Im with HeeBGB on this one, they pop up frequently enough so wait.
    A used R7 is the best bang for the buck out there in all Lespauldom.

I would NEVER buy or sell a guitar without a (at least) 24 hour approval period, it's just good business.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+1 If a LP is what your after I agree. The Best Gibson is a used Gibson! [​IMG]

11. jpage

Fight me? Jeez...

I just picked up an R8 and I looked around but pretty halfheartedly I guess. I really stick by my "play before you buy" rule with guitars. Amps I buy and sell by the boatload online but guitars not so much.

I looked around here and at the time there was nothing available but apparently that was just bad luck on my part. Ebay completed auctions average between $2000-2300 for "as new" to "near mint" R7s and R8s--that's where I figured market was at. Guess I was wrong. Again, nice score on the guitar.

Let em know if you ever want to fight for it.:D

12. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

That was just to let you know I wasn't trying to be belligerent! If you go back and forth too many times with some people it can be percieved as such. Can you tell I'm a little shell shocked? :D

If you get a Heatley I'll put my LP GT up against it and we can thumb wrestle for both :D

13. jpage

Heatley or Warmoth olympic white strat with brazilian and a reverse CBS headstock? I could use the in house poly finish too (weren't the '69s finished in polt anyway?). Mahogany body, gibson scale neck with a double black Fralin humbucker in the bridge. Callaham hardware.

14. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

The norm might be for me to chime in on the Japanese clones and that may seem obvious for the money, However, there are still many deals to be had along the lines of a used Gibson Les Paul if you look hard. I picked up the paper the other day and saw an ad for a goldtop Les Paul about 250 miles north of me. So, wanting to get out of the house anyway, I took the drive and met the guy. He was selling a 1982 Gibson 30th Anniversary Les Paul Goldtop (basically a 57, before the reissue craze) with the original case and paperwork. He was the original owner, I paid him a grand, shook his hand, and drive home smiling. The 30th's seem to be overlooked these days, and they are a hell of a guitar! I have two now, seeing as how I bought the other new in 82.

15. ratkent

ratkent Member

This is really your best option if you can afford it and find a deal on one you like. If you don't want to budget that much, a really good Studio can be had for anywhere between $600 and $800. I have four Les Pauls now (a 96 Standard, a 92 Custom and two mid 90s Studios) but I have owned many more. The two Studios I currently own have as much of the Les Paul tone mojo as any I've ever owned including a 57 Historic. I am by no means saying that Studios are superior to Historics. I'm just suggesting that you not overlook finding a superior Studio which may still get you that great LP tone.

16. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

As of 2005 new R8s were the same price as R7s. This may already be affecting the market for plaintop used R8s so you may not have to settle for a goldtop if you decide to go after a historic LP. If you must have flame on a Gibson it will probably cost you.

Studios are also a great bang for the buck, although you should be prepared to swap out the pickups if what you are after is more of a classic rock sound. Most studios and classics will come equipped with pickups that most find better suited for metal than classic LP rock.

good luck

:)

17. jpage

The Studio's actually come with 490/498T humbuckers, whereas the Classic comes standard with the 498/500T set. I've always liked the former for just about any type of rock or blues, but the latter I will agree can be a tad aggressive.

18. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

if its on a budget, a heritage h150 will most probably suffice very nicely indeed.

19. rooster

rooster Member

Heritage H150CM from Jay Wolfe with the upgraded hardware and Seth Lover pickups. Should run you about $1300-1400 brand new shipped w/case. Not quite a clone, as it's better built than the current Gibbys. (preparing flameproof suit)

rooster.

20. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

SEE WHAT YOU HAVE STARTED !!!! RUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!
    [​IMG]