Uh oh..just sealed the deal on a new Fuchs TDS100....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I guess I'm going to find out first hand sometime next week whether the monster TDS100 is going to be too much for me. If she's as awesome as I hope she is I may have a gorgeous, like new ODS30SLX up for grabs.:eek: At this point I've got mixed emotions about it. I hope it blows me away. But at the same time I am so enamored of the tone from the cathode biased 6V6 circuit in my ODS30SLX that it's hard to imagine something sounding better in that arena, atleast to my ears any way. I hope I'm very pleasantly surprised needless to say. If I'm not, I may have a gorgeous TDS100 for sale.:jo I am really looking forward to having 3 channels and a SIX botton footswitch to mix and switch my tones while I'm jamming.:dude OK....the butterflies are starting to flutter.:BOUNCE

OK fellow Fuchs owners.....build me up and help take away my big purchase anxiety. Or tell me I'm an idiot if the shoe fits....:NUTS :jo

Steve

2. scottl

scottl Member

Give me a shout.....

I sent my #

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Congrats! Looking forward to your impressions.

I'm curious though, what made you go with the 100W instead of the Custom 50 (quad 6V6)? From what you were saying, it seemed like that would be closer to your ideal (but unavailable) TDS30.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I simply came across a deal too good not to at least give the TDS100 at try. I have no intention of letting go of my ODS30SLX until I have thoroughly been blown away by the TDS. As a matter of fact I'm not sure, even if the TDS does work great for me, that I will be able to let go of the 30 watter simply because I can't imagine any thing being able to replace the magic that's coming from those 4 cathode biased 6V6's in the 30. I will definately fill you guys in when she hits my music room. Thanks for the congrats!:BEER

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Hey Scott! Will do. I've been meaning to talk to you anyway. Thanks for the head's up!

6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

fretty,

you certainly have a bevy of stunning amps, and i can tell you that with a peacemaker and either an opal or a tds, the deal would be sealed for me!

one clean tone, one blues tone, and one bolt of plexi thunder:dude

7. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I got my news SLX30 yesterday, and man is it killer! Besides one fuchs isn't enough... ;)

8. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks my Mo Bro! I'm definitely diggin some serious tones these days. Now if I just had some of those tasty chops of your's.......;)

9. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Big congrats on the new Fuchs!!

My SLX30 is still a few weeks off. All of the praise you've had for your 30 watter has kept me on the edge of my seat waiting for mine! Sometimes I think it's funny that we never seem to have enough when it comes to gear... Anyway, congrats again on the new TDS. Incidently, I saw a TDS50 w/212 cab on eBay that was nearly new and had a starting bid that was less than my ODS30 cost... oh well, timing is everything.

Ted

10. WordMan

WordMan Member

My other guitarist in my band has a Fuchs 2-channel SuperOverdrive 50 combo and just got the TripleDrive 50 as a head.

There is no comparison - the TripleDrive (or whatever the exact name is - sorry) has brighter, creamier cleans and wonderfully crunchy gain, with a tighter bottom end when played through the same speakers...

I think he should just sell the Super honestly - the Triple beats it hands down and points out the flaws of the first one...

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Congrats to you on the new ODS30!! If it's any consellation I like the ODS30 a good bit more than the 50. There's just something about 4 bottles that can not be produced with only 2. I also feel being cathode biased adds a little something extra to the tone as well. I think you're going to be extremely happy with your new amp with no regrets.:D

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I don't know that I would call the ODS flawed.....the TDS has basically the same two channels as the ODS and adds a completely separate clean channel. This clean channel is the main difference AFAIK. I wouldn't expect much of a difference at all in the OD channel, but I've not compared the two like you have, so maybe they are completely different.....Fretmaster will soon be able to give us yet another opinion.

This is what Andy says about it:

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Personally I would just get the supreme overdrive 50 and not the triple. that is just me though. our needs might be different. I was thinking of getting a Deliverance untill they went up 350 bucks. Now I'm considering saving for a Fuchs. Are they worth it?

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Interesting that you already decided you would pick the ODS over a TDS and yet you've appearently not had any experience with either. As for your question; "are they worth it?", if you're asking me the answer is a resounding hell yes!! As for why I am giving the TDS a whirl when I already own and absolutely LOVE an ODS30SLX (and why I think you should at least play one before you decide which you would rather have) is the adition of a fully independant clean channel. I am truly very happy with my ODS but having a dedicated clean channel that I can set completely independently without affecting my OD channels sounds like something that could be of huge benefit. In regards to the VHT Deliverance; I think that's a very nice amp and in the right hands makes some incredible music. But it is completely different from the Fuchs vibe. You may want to do a little more research into these two amps and decide which direction you are leaning more towards before you give up either one for the other regardless of price. They really are fairly different sounding and feeling amps.

15. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I am anxious to hear what you have to say about the TDS Fret.

I bought an ODS30slx from another TGP member, thanks in part to your review as well as some cool clips by scottl and tag, and I love it.

I am having so much fun with it I haven't even tried it with the 6v6 quad that you like so much. I am still beating on the pair of 6l6's that it came with.

I think I would like an independent clean ch though:cool:

16. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks for sharing that experience. It's always nice to see a positive result from information gained from this forum. It's been a wonderful resource for me over the last few years. I would feel lost without it. :BEER

17. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

yup, me too, this place has cost me some money alright... what a tone ride!:BluesBros

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Just checked the tracking and she should be here Wednesday. Nothing like the exitement and anticipation of knowing a new killer piece of gear is in route. It's no wonder this can get addicting! :eek: :)

19. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Keith -

For me, a VHT Deliverance and a Fuchs are as different as a monster truck and a Maserati.

They're both great amps, but they're really different.

I played both of 'em at NAMM. The Deliverance is a monster low end growling beast. You play 7 string VERY HARD ROCK? Great amp for that. You need a voice to "speak out" over a drummer that uses a 24" kick drum? The Deliverance will deliver you.

The Fuchs is a Maserati. It's smooth, it's more refined, more polite, more flexible. Handles better. More nimble. WAYYY more touch sensitive. Way more everything, actually, except HUGE: the VHT is more HUGE.

Fretmaster, you're gonna LOVE your Fuchs amp.

And YES, both amps are 'worth it'! Very different creatures.

Dana

20. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Alright. Play nice and stay on topic please.

Thanks,
    Mike