Uh... Umm...

slider

WOW
That's kind of awesome, in a horrific way. If I had the spare cash I'd buy it, just as a novelty item, for entertainment purposes only. The shape, the tuners, the pickup placement, just wow. I guess it'd be a lot more if it wasn't a refin.

Brad8008135

Cute face.

face.JPG

cam.man67

Yup, that's a Tonika. Not my favorite Soviet geetar, but highly important in their electric guitar development. The Tele of the USSR.;)

slider

Yup, that's a Tonika. Not my favorite Soviet geetar, but highly important in their electric guitar development. The Tele of the USSR.;)

So you know about these? Looks unplayable- pickups don't line up with the strings properly, and that bridge. Kind of a nightmare. The guitar equivalent of that Soviet car, the Lada.

cam.man67

So you know about these? Looks unplayable- pickups don't line up with the strings properly, and that bridge. Kind of a nightmare. The guitar equivalent of that Soviet car, the Lada.
Yeah, that's basically the truth. Soviet guitar builders were cursed (especially early on) with having no real luthiery experience and also no access to Western guitars with which to develop those skills. Combine that with typical Soviet lack of QC, brass frets (yup), and multiple factories producing the same guitar, you have a scenario in which that thing was sold to somebody looking like that. On the flip side, here's about the best Tonika I've ever seen:
v3bpoj5tvqvohbekx5fp.jpg

Friday vs Monday guitar? Different factory (note the bridge)? Who knows. The challenging thing I'm sure for Soviet kids in the 60s is that if they ordered a guitar, would a playable one show up, or a dog? No way to be sure.

PS- part of the "charm" about these Russian weirdos is that they were typically designed to serve both lap steel and fretted playing. In the USA, that would mean just changing the action....in the USSR, that meant that the neck profile was only rounded up to the 5th-7th fret, then became rectangular after that. Not exactly a shredder.;)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom