uh, your "clean tone" is dirty, bro.

smitty.west

what's up with this? seems like a good 70% of demos i've seen feature a dude saying "here's my clean tone", strums the first chord and BAM, his "clean tone" is actually dirty. it's actually quite frustrating when trying to gauge a pedals sound over a true clean tone (read: with no distortion/overdrive audible whatsoever). worst is when dude's playing a high output les paul into like a 5-10 watt amp.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't say it's that high of a percentage, but this is semi common, and it's frustrating to hear. With the exception of showing how an OD can push an amp, demos should be done one a truly clean platform.

Elvis Fury

what's up with this? seems like a good 70% of demos i've seen feature a dude saying "here's my clean tone", strums the first chord and BAM, his "clean tone" is actually dirty. it's actually quite frustrating when trying to gauge a pedals sound over a true clean tone (read: with no distortion/overdrive audible whatsoever). worst is when dude's playing a high output les paul into like a 5-10 watt amp.
I totally agree with you! It pisses me off to know no end because I use my pedals through a CLEAN Blues,Jr, not "sorta clean". It screws up the whole demo of prospective pedals. Great post man!

topo morto

Another thought - if you're using a drive pedal as a boost, you want to know how the amp is set to get an idea of how much more the pedal is pushing it. If the amp's totally clean, you don't know how much headroom it has left. If it's on the edge of breakup - that's kind of a more easily understandable 'point' in the amp's clipping curve.... or something. Not quite sure if that makes sense, but generally I do keep my amp just on the point of breaking up and then let the pedals do the rest...

smitty.west

Of course in the case of overdrives and boosts its totally fine- and actually preferable-, but I was referring more to other effects where hearing them over a completely clean signal is important. Guess I should of added that tidbit in my OP. Glad to see some folks agree though!

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
Somehow, "clean tone" has become interchangeable with "unaffected signal" in some folks' minds. In other words "Here's my sound with the pedal off, and here it is with the pedal on." I've noticed this too... Sometimes the "clean" sound is downright dirty.

On the other hand, my preference is to run an amp right at the edge of breaking up... So I like to see demos of dirt pedals that don't just have a Twin Reverb with the volume set on .025 being slammed by the Blues Hammer 9000 Bro-Tron Distorter set to maximum shred. It might be a good example of how the pedal sounds in a vacuum, but it's not how I run my amps.

So to each their own I guess! :beer I'm really glad that we have so many means by which to share our thoughts & sounds on gear. (Youtube, etc)

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
Frustrates me too. I happen to play "clean", with no clipping or gain, about half the time, so hearing a pedal through an amp breaking up is often not useful for me. When I hear a demo, especially a gain pedal, I want to hear how the pedal sounds, not how the combo of a pedal and an amp breaking up sound together.

smitty.west

Then don't watch their vids. Watch Pete Thorn's. ;)
Unfortunately, unlike you I lack the gift of foresight, ergo can't know if their "clean tone" will be clean before viewing. Pete's demos rock; they've cost me far too much dough over the years so I tend to stay away these days :D

ELmiguel

I no longer finish watching guitar demos when they are playing the guitar through a distorted amp or pedal. What's the point?

dk_ace

Different strokes, it's an exceedingly rare occasion that I'm playing anything squeaky clean there is almost always some grit for me.

I appreciate demo videos regardless of how they're recorded. The more demos the better as far as I'm concerned and the players should demo the gear as they would use it. If that means a clean tone that isn't completely clean so be it.

D

Dunzie

It's one of the big reasons I'm a fan of demos by Brett Kingman, and also Mike Hermans. In fact, Brett typically gives repeated reference tones from his clean signal. As someone who plays generally through a truly clean single-channel tube amp, using pedals for dirt, I appreciate that.

Trending Topics