UHM, Have You Heard Of The Fratellis? The Chicago BLackHawks Goal Celebration Song!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by skronker, Apr 26, 2015.

1. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I always wondered who wrote the Chicago Blackhawks goal celebration song.

Uh, duh! I have the internet at my disposal.

I go to Utubez and search for Chicago Blackhawks goal song and low and behold the song is composed and performed by a band called "The Fratellis"

So I look up the original song and am FRIGGIN BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the complete original song and begin looking up some of their other music and I rarely say this about new or newish bands but these guys are phenomenal. Really great.
    Lyrical wit, musically familiar chord progressions but with some very nice embellishments.
    As I hear it these guys sound like a cross between The Replacements and XTC.

There probably is a band that sounds like these guys but I haven't heard it in a while, of course I haven't heard everything. :p

So in honor of the Chicago Blackhawks moving on in the playoffs here is "Chelesea Dagger" or The Chicago Blackhawks Goal song, and a few others.
    man these guys are great.

this is a great one too, woo hoo..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

All three are the same, I think maybe your copy paste wasn't working?

I'll check them out though, your enthusiasm has me curious.

3. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Love singing along with CD. Feels real.

Go Hawks!

4. skronker

yeah sorry. I'm watching the Wild beat the Blues... Congrats Wild!
    I copied and pasted too fast and didn't see i was copying the same tag.
    Fixed it.

I'm not up on a lot of pop music but these guys really catch my ear which is a rare thing these days.

Of course i could be dead wrong about them being great but I would dig seeing them live.

5. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Letterman used to play Chelsea Dagger cranked over the PA system to fire up the crowd before the comedian guy came out and warmed up the audience. Great crowd song.

6. skronker

That's too cool!

I always thought Letterman had good taste in music.

He really enjoys having a wide variety of musical guests on the show.

7. ohiomatt33

ohiomatt33 Member

So I used to listen to this song back in...Freshman year in high school, and was a casual fratelli's fan. Me and a friend listened to them for awhile, then never heard from them again. THEN last spring my band is playing a show in downtown Chicago, and the venue is just slammed with people watching the Blackhawks game. I'm loading in and not watching, but every time the PA plays "Chelsea Dagger" the people go BANANAS. And it's like every 8-10 minutes, and im thinking "1. Ok these people really love them some Fratelli's. 2. I don't know how much they're gonna like country music, if that's what they're into..."

About 3 plays of the song later, I made the connection. Me and the boys became the biggest Blackhawks fans that night, because we feared a loss would have driven the folks away to sulk.

I've been considering throwing this song in our sets for when we play chicago.

8. skronker

I haven't researched how long The Fratellis have been around but I am fan for sure.
    Not only because "Chelsea Dagger" is the celebration song for a goal scored but I think a lot of their songs are good.
    Something I could listen to over and over again.

yeah, you know if you played "Chelsea Dagger" it'd go over good in Chi-town.

9. dbintegrity

dbintegrity Member

I first caught them on a TV special with Jools Holland on New Years Eve a few years back ... Robert Plant was the headliner... The Fratelli's played " A Heady Tale" and totally blew me away... They were awesome... Plant sucked should've retired when Bonham passed on... He is going to ruin his legacy if he keeps on trying to make a come back... but back to the Fratellis.... great band out of Australia... Their tunes are Beatle esque with a little Zappa and their own twist... " Vince the loveable stoner" is hysterical !! Theyre just an outstanding fresh talent... I think they may have broke up but don't quote me on that...
    Dan

10. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

John Paul Lawler [aka Jon Fratelli] can pen a great lyric & hook. Check out Coedine Velvet Club, a bit different from his Fratelli gig, yet the velvet horns are a cool twist.

11. jape

jape Member

I have friends that are hardcore hockey fans of Detroit, Minnesota, etc & they HATE that song just because it the goal song for the Blackhawks. Don't play this song if you have a gig in Minnesota this week!! :)

Funny.

It's amazing - this one song has given the Fratteliis some big exposure. I know I looked them up & listened to more of their songs because I heard the song at the hockey rink & wondered who they were.

12. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

First Fratelli's album was killer. Second one, so-so. Third one, almost unlistenable.

13. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

An Amstel Light commercial featured Chelsea Dagger as well. That was the first time I heard it.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

They're from Scotland.

15. dbintegrity

dbintegrity Member

Scotland ? Ooops... I thought I had read specifically that they were from Australia..... Either way I really loved their stuff!

16. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

They play this song at Carolina Hurricane's games when they score a goal. Needless to say, it rarely gets played

http://youtu.be/cBVeNQ-mtcY