UK guys, where to find cool shops with ES339s?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TRW, Sep 6, 2008.

1. TRW

TRW Member

OK so the world is internet mad, but call me crazy, I'd like to actually look at, feel, try and fall in love with the next gutar I buy.

I want a ES339 and a great one at that.

There seem to be loads of cool guitar shops in the US but in the UK they seem rare. Mail order and large chain stores rule.

Could anyone help me find cool places here in the UK?

What is your best local store? I'm sick of internet searches turning up Dolphin music or GAK or DV247 etc...

Cheers Tom

2. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I am unaware of any distribution deals in Europe, but you would be hard pressed to find one in ANY store here in the States. I know some of you have seen them in a FEW Guitar Centers, but for the most part, you have to buy them sight unseen and string un-plucked and hope you get a good one. I did.

In fact, I got two good ones, both with big fat necks. Both most excellent in every way. I sent one back, reluctantly, because I couldn't justify the expense of both (although you have to know I tried. Oh, how I tried...).

Good luck!

HMTM

3. TRW

TRW Member

Yeah I have heard they are hard to find...

I guess they are very popular.

How fat is the fat neck? I'm either after a Fat Neck or a 30/60, but if I can't play them I'm really not sure.

Thanks!
    Tom

4. Crumblebum

Crumblebum Member

TRW
    I'm not too sure that the shop is cool but a friend tried a couple of 339's at Guitar Village, Farnham last week.

5. johngti

johngti Member

GAK (the actual shop rather than the internet store) had at least one in there recently - looked good but I didn't have a play that day. If you live anywhere near Brighton it's worth a visit.

6. TRW

TRW Member

Hi thanks guys, the guitar village seem pretty cool.

GAK is a little far from me as I'm in the midlands. Perhaps I'll take a road trip!

How is the fat neck compared to the 30/60?

Cheers T

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Well in Europe - there's Max guitars in Netherlands. They are like a premium dealer for Gibson guitars. They have loads of guitars - in fact over 150 pieces of ES339 there in all colours. Only 4 were on display. Played a few of them - very very sweet indeed.

8. TRW

TRW Member

OK cool, max guitars. They have 150 ES339s? Cripes that is a lot...

-T