UK Guys: Where to get professional valuations of Amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TRGuy, Apr 4, 2015.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Afternoon all,

For my insurance, they want a professional valuation of one of my amps. Everywhere I've asked so far refuse to value amps, including Vintage and Rare etc. Anyone know where I could get a proper written valuation of an amplifier?

Cheers.

2. nickcoumbe

nickcoumbe Member

You could try PJ's Guitar Centre in Southsea. They are the best bunch of guys imaginable: 023 92826466 www.guitaruk.com

Otherwise, Guitar Village in Farnham or Andertons in Guildford.

3. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

The vintage question is key: can you say what it is/what year etc ? Are you prepared to leave it with a shop for a thorough appraisal ?

Plenty of places will do it, but some have more clue than others when it comes to oddball/vintage, naturally enough.

4. nickcoumbe

nickcoumbe Member

Ahh Coda are good too. I think I've bought an amp and a guitar from them.

5. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Coda did a valuation for me but just emailed it, which the insurance company didn't accept, and they were a bit hesitant to write it on headed paper for me.

Andertons, Gak, Peach and all the other big shops haven't been able to help. I'll ask Mansons and the other suggestions this week, cheers!

6. Faded

Faded Member

Does it have to be done in the UK? George Gruhn of Gruhn Guitars in Nashville has a remote appraisal service that is pretty much the standard for this sort of thing.

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I had thought of emailing him. It would have to be done in £ for the UK/European market though.

8. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

No it does not.

UK Pound is convertible into U$ back and forth using an official exchange rate, which they can get in writing from their Bank, if they wish so.

Yes, it's not a fixed forever value, it varies slightly along the year, usually less than 1% , no deal breaker.

But the problem seems to be another.

You don't say what your amp is (you should, or your question is unanswerable) but if you agree on a $$$ value, Insurance Companies calculate a monthly prime based on that and if anything happens, they pay the agreed amount, period.

What I suspect is that you are valuing your amp, for whatever reason (as in: it's the one Jim Morrison was playing in his hotel room 1 hour before dying or some other subjective/sentimental value) which they simply do not accept, finding it outrageous.

The fact that some shops refuse to put it in writing, ink on paper, and backing it, makes me suspect so.

So: what amp is it and how much do you think it's worth?

And why?

I think this is a fair question you must answer.