UK/USA amp prices - just for fun !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Oct 20, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

Was a bit bored this afternoon and thought I'd check out some comparative prices between some different amps here in the UK, and over in the USA. Interesting stuff !!

- All prices are in US $$$$

First is the UK price (in $), then the USA price (in $)

Marshall vintage Modern 2266 head; UK - 889, USA - 1499

Marshall JVM410H; UK - 1225, USA - 2199

Orange Rockerverb 50 head; UK - 1712, USA - 1959

VHT Deliverance 120 head; UK - 2569, USA - 1652

Fender Hotrod Deluxe Combo; UK - 940, USA - 699

Two Rock Jet head; UK - 4283, USA - 3000

/13 RSA31 combo; UK - 3762, USA - 2800

What shocks me is that some people still buy Marshalls in the USA. At those prices you would seem to have so many other, better built options.

As I said - just for fun !

2. JPF

JPF Member

I'd imagine people buy Marshalls in the U.S. for the same reason folks buy Fenders in the U.K. - it's classic gear with a classic sound, and oftentimes "that" badge on the front is a critical component. ;)

Besides, the U.S.$ is a bit weak right now in terms of PS and € rates. I though that was going to change, but then the TARP came along.:messedup

You know what else is fun - comparing gear costs today to those from the glory days of '50s and '60s. We've actually got it better these days, regardless of currency!

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

US prices don't have any taxes included so for the Uk brands you should deduct around 18% VAT from the UK prices. For US brands you'd probably want to deduct import duties as well as Vat so say a minus 23 -25% on your ok prices.

Considerably reduces the UK prices dun it?

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Go and do that on a Mesa RoadKing Head
    Hears the UK £3,295 Whats the US?
    Also Triaxis UK £1,995.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

I don't understand what you are trying to say. the prices I quoted are best street prices available to the consumer in each country. There are no extra taxes to pay for the consumer on top of the prices I quote.

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hey Eagle, I spent ages trying to find an online price for a brand new Mesa amp in the USA, but couldn't get one anywhere. I suspect the manufacturers have banned the advertising of online pricing over there.

Can someone let us know the real USA $ price for the above amps.

BTW, the lowest UK price I can find on the Road King is £2959 ($5067).

Lowest on the triaxis is £1895 ($3245)

7. Rampage

Rampage Member

According to Pronet pricing:

Roadking II head - $2749
    TriAxis - $1999

8. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

All prices shown on US web sites are free of sales tax. Residents of the state in which the store is located have to pay whatever the rate of sales tax is in that state. those outside of the state don't have to pay that (so that price is correct for them if it the store doesn't charge transport) and neither to buyers located outside of the US. However when you bring an amp or guitar into europe from the states. You have to pay VAT and customs duties on the amp. So if you in Europe want to but an amp from the US it will cost you the store price + transport + VAT + customs. That is the fairest price to compare to the local price in your country. t

9. hamfist

hamfist Member

That sounds like a strange system.

The way you explain it, people buying from different states always get things cheaper than those buying from the same state a store is in. Or do people buying from a different state get charged their own state's rate of sales tax ?

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

If the state where the store is located has tax - than those who buy it there has to pay tax. If the amp is shipped to people in other states without taxes - then they don't have to pay taxes. However the reverse is also true. If the state where the shop is located has no tax, then those buying within the state will not get taxed. If those from other states (who have tax) buys the amp - they will have to pay their own state's tax. So basically it will depend on where the amp ends up and wether those states have taxes. Each state is like a country in itself with it's own taxation structure.

I never thought a Marshall can be that cheap in UK compared to US. Time to look into Marshalls when I visit London again :)

Hamfist,
    BTW - what are good place to buy guitar stuff in London or around London (within 1.5 hours journey)? The stores must subscribe to the VAT exemption so that I can claim it on my way out at Heathrow.

11. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

So does this mean that if you buy an amp from an "out of state" dealer and have it delivered you have to pay the delivery guy the sales tax?In any case most of the sales tax I have paid in the states has always been less than 10% which is like half of what it is anywhere in Europe. Typically sales tax in France is 19.6%.

12. Old Fuzzface

Old Fuzzface Member

This has always been an issue. Mesa pricing in UK/Europe is like Marshall pricing in the US - makes you wonder why anyone buys them in the non-domestic market. (Rhetorical question BTW ).

What I find most interesting is how this differential influences opinions on the relative value of amps. What I mean is that UK posters will look on Marshalls as everyday cooking plonk and Mesa as a fine imported wine but for US posters the perception is completely the reverse.

Lots of people (perhaps unconsciously) equate a higher price with a "better" product.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm afraid that I don't really shop in London (hate the place), but Andertons (in Guildford - not far from London) is an excellent place to shop, with good prices. Although I'm not sure about VAT exemption, you'd have to contact them.
    Maybe someone else could recommend places in London itself.

14. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm sure you are right.

15. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Hey Crosse79If you are in London you should go to Denmark Street near Tottenham Court Road Underground Station. Tons of guitar shops there with interesting gear. I try and go through there every time I get over to London.

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

No bargains on Denmark st.

17. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

18. JPF

JPF Member

or Europe, unless you're buying European gear - and even then...

19. nomadh

nomadh Member

My general perception is prices are much higher in Europe and Australia. Everyone I've met from there goes on a buying spree when in the states. A girl from Aus. bought a dozen jeans. She expected to pay for her plane ticket with them.
    For instance can people cash in on the crate V series blowout going on? Maybe I should I have my kid bring a $200 V50 with him to Europe and sell it for $500.
    Do other countries have their own sort of house brands? I remember seeing a Valve Jr advertised under another name .

20. Melj

Melj Member

The problem with amps is that lots of the US models don't have a changeable voltage function, so you're into either using a stepdown or changing the PT.

Many EU amps will have 115/230 switchable.

Having said that, i've found that a number of US boutique amps can be changed just by having a small wiring change made in the PT.