• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Uli John Roth

I was a mid-teen when i first caught wind of Uli Jon Roth. The Scorpions had dropped Fly to the Rainbow years earlier but it never found it's way into my hands nor did its songs find my ears. Then it did .. bo0m! .. Speedy's Coming .. Wow .. The Scorpions!

I liked what i heard and now that band was on my radar. Roth was with them for 5 albums; the last being the awesome Tokyo Tapes. He was on to something different: Electric Sun.

Electric Sun was a surprisingly full sounding 3 piece and their material on debut album Earthquake ('79ish) was impressive. The Fire Wind album followed about 2 years later-ish with more great stuff. Electric Sun dropped their 3rd and final album Beyond the Astral Skies in '85 .. Roth then dropped off my radar -not even so much as a single blip - until his 1st solo album .. And my jaw .. Dropped. Aquila Suite was .. Just .. Suuuuch a departure. From this point forward, Roth had my attention as well as that of a number of friends and colleagues.

Roth went from his Blues scale riffing with the Scorps to a more Classically influenced Bluesy style but as Roth moved forward Classical influences dominated his playing and eventually became inextricably infused into his Bluesiness .. Very cool stuff ..

Check out the Sails of Charon solo .. My fav because Roth dips into every tool available .. major pent .. minor pent, Blues scale ... harmonic minor .. diminished scales ... whole tone scale .. And various modes .. Mmm Mmmm .. Dig the Phrygian stuff

Scorpions
Sails of Charon (cool solo)

Electric Sun
Uli John Roth
(Sky of Avalon)

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
One of the best lead players in rock history. Those first two Electric Sun records are full of jaw dropping solos.

Tokyo Tapes is killer too

Between him and Michael Schenker, something magical must have happened in Germany when they were born.

A couple of my all time favorite songs:

Yes! .. I initially tried to copy the Catch Your Train URL .. But it didnt copy .. Then i abandoned the thread's creation .. When i returned, the thread took a slightly different tack .. And i went with my very first introduction to Uli - Speedy's Coming .. Damn, all that old stuff is timeless and bulletproof

I saw Roth with Electric Sun with none other than Clive Bunker (first drummer with Jethro Tull) on drums. Have seen him a few times much more recently. Once I noticed two girls about 16 or 17 near me at the front of the stage, wondering why they were there, considering that most of the audience were probably at least in their late fifties. They sang the words to every song.

Roth and Michael Schenker are both probably on most top-50 or even top-20 rock-guitar lists. But the rhythm guitar of Rudolf Schenker is also very, very good and very important to the sound of the scorpions, along with Meine's voice, which sounds exactly the same as 45 years ago.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
The earlier work proves the brilliance is not derived from the embedded amulet.

sergv

Roth and Michael Schenker are both probably on most top-50 or even top-20 rock-guitar lists. But the rhythm guitar of Rudolf Schenker is also very, very good and very important to the sound of the scorpions, along with Meine's voice, which sounds exactly the same as 45 years ago.
Indeed. Sails of Charon was ahead of its time and ultimately inspired and launched a fleet of shred ships. Both of the Schenker brothers were big early inspirations and influences on me. I don’t think anyone has got more songwriting mileage out of the Dm chord than Rudolph lol. Matthias Jabs is no slouch either, amazing amount of talent in that band over the years.

I saw him on the tour he did with Andy Timmons and Jennifer Batten in a very small room. He was loud. The band was great. The drummer and bassist for his band also did Andy Timmons set. It's always cool seeing such awesome musicians in smaller rooms.
I love big talent in small venu
Yes indeed it was. A young man named Yngwie Malmsteen was listening :)

This is a very timely thread - I was listening to Tokyo Tapes last night.
:oops: <<< me the 1st time that i heard Tokyo Tapes

Trending Topics