Uli Jon Roth in concert, Wow!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Siri, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Siri

Siri Member

Hi, I saw Uli play earlier this week here in Portland at a small club. Maybe 100-150 people. Anyway, what a great show, 2 hours. The first time I have seen him play. He was amazing. I was most impressed with how effortless and relaxed he was, his hands moved so gracefully. The music just flowed through him. Mostly played classic Scorpions era tunes. Some Electric Sun era music and more Hendrix covers would have been nice, but not that show.

He played his Sky guitars, a 6 and a 7 string. 2 Blackstar halfstacks. Lots of effects on the floor including a plain old Crybaby wah. All effects on the floor, no rack gear. A very bright Straty tone, cut through the band well.

Final song of encore was All Along the Watchtower. He put his own stamp on it. Amazing.

2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

VERY COOL.
    I'll have to check his site to see if he's coming near me.

EDIT: DAMN, I just checked his site. He did a couple of shows near me just a few weeks ago.

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I saw him Wednesday in Seattle. A totally amazing show. I started another thread here Thursday. I shot a bunch of videos from right at the front of the stage and they came out decent. For our encore, he did Little Wing and then All Along the Watchtower. I got to meet him afterwards too. What a great, humble artist.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1034808

4. Siri

Siri Member

The Gear Page helped me learn about Uli. Another great artist out there playing from the heart. Check him out!

PS I missed out on the Sky academy earlier the day of the show, I spent 3 hours with the dentist instead.

5. 50MkII

50MkII Member

Uli is THE MASTER. I was asked who he was recently by someone. "A modern day Jimi Hendrix!" Interesting note, I read the Wikipedia article on him this morning where his romantically involved with JH's girlfriend after he died. He can do anything. Saw him last night, late last night. A couple of the solos he pulled off so effortlessly made the tendon in my fingers and fingers cry. Played a few, old, great Scorpions tunes! Incredible guitarist. A legend. Went to the meet and greet with him after the show.
    I will share some. Blackstar 100wt Artisan and Series One 200wt heads through (2) Blackstar 4x12's.
    [​IMG]

His pedalboard from last night.
    [​IMG]