Uli Jon (Ulrich) Roth Last Night in Seattle

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by chucke99, Feb 16, 2012.

1. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Feb. 15, 2012 at el Corazon. I was right up at the stage.

2. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Some friends of mine up that way were going to the show. Was it good?

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Fantastic. I've waited 36 years to see him and he did not disappoint. He played Enola Gay from his Electric Sun LP, a bunch of Scorpions tunes, including Fly to the Rainbow, and closed the show with a couple Hendrix tunes.

[​IMG]

4. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I thought the show was OK but I was expecting more.

The sound was really, really bad (not the band's fault). I think one of the mains in the club was blown as it was crackling on and off all night. Just a really muddy mix overall too.

I don't know why he needed to pad his guitar playing with 2 more guitar players on stage but I think that was adding a lot of mud too. Granted, they were utilized for a lot of harmonies, but overall I think they just detracted from the vibe.

The singer had extremely comical hair but he was fantastic and covered a range of styles. He might have been my favorite part, besides Uli (obviously).

5. chucke99

chucke99 Member

A lot of Ulrich's playing with the Scorpions was overdubbed with two or three harmonies. The kid on the left side of the stage was mainly playing those parts. The other kid seemed to handle rhythm parts while Ulrich was playing lead. I was standing right in front of them, by the pole that's on the stage. I really couldn't hear vocals at all, and the instrument sounds I was hearing were straight from the amps. The lead singer's role was to channel Klaus Meine and he did a pretty good job of that.

Someone said that the two guitarists won a contest to be part of Ulrich's tour. They are both German, and when I call them kids, that's literally what they are. They are each very talented guitarists, though:

[​IMG]

6. Siri

Siri Member

Hi, I caught the Portland show. Uli was amazing. The overall mix and sound quality was muddy and frustrating. Way too loud with the bass farting out through the PA. Or the PA was farting out, whatever. Uli was amazing, so relaxed and the music just flowed through him. What a treat to see that kind of talent live.

I didn't stay for the meet and greet, I have heard he is very humble. Thanks for the video. Congrats on catching the tour.

7. brain21

brain21 Member

Perhaps one of these days his tour bookers will get up on their N. America geography and realize that there is a South, and come here. They just realized this tour that NYC isn't the only place in the US west of the Rockies I think... At least get as closwe as Memphis. I'd drive the 6 hours there to see him (since I have good friends I can stay with). Nah, nothing musically important ever really came out of the South anyway.... :D

8. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

chucke99, thanks for the report and the vids.

I gotta see Uli before I die!

9. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member