Ultimate 2 Channel Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by EelEye, Mar 2, 2008.

1. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking to pick up a combo that does both killer cleans and great high gain hard rock distortion. Versatility is really important as I'd like to be able to do country-ish stuff on a tele with it through the clean channel and very heavy stuff on a Les Paul through the gain channel (so it needs to have good low end...). PRICE IS NOT IMPORTANT.

I'm not looking for Robben Ford Dumble-ish flatus, so I don't think a Two Rock is in the cards... It absolutely must be a combo (1x12") as I have serious space limitations. It also must have an effects loop. Any advice on what would work best here would be appreciated. Thanks--

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Shiva
    Egnater Mod 50

3. gtrdoc

gtrdoc Member

Rivera makes a couple of combos that fall into that general category. Just my 2 cents.

4. highgeer

highgeer Member

Rivera Venus 6 fits the bill very well.

Mike

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Nothing specific, but I have a Brunetti Centouno preamp and if their combo does what this does, then the cleans are great, nice crunch channel and it goes right into heavy territory on the lead channel.
    Maybe check one of their combos out..

6. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

The Elmwood Bonneville is a serious unit, especially with the new Alnico Gold Speaker.

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

BadCat HotCat 15. . .Sparkling cleans on the clean channel and extra heavy on the gain channel.

Hold everything. . .it doesn't have an effects loop. . .just serious tone. If that's a deal breaker, then sorry. If not, it's a whale of an amp in a 1 X 12 combo!

8. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

Star gainstar 30. Everyone should try one.

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I always like to have a Marshall amp, my DSL401 is my favorite, it does not do everything, but it keeps me playing guitar.

10. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Any others? How well will the Shiva fit the bill?

11. mild

mild Member

You could always look at a Matchless DC-30. Sounds pretty appropriate for what you are looking to do.

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

Hughes & Kettner Duotone 50w 1x12 combo - More modern sounding take on a classic rock amp, lots of gain available (rock not metal), lots of clean headroom (it's in EL34 amp ... which you might assume favours gainy sounds, but the clean is spectacular) . Packed with features (=versatility) like parallel effects loop with adjustable level and mix, separate eq per channel, 2 footswitchable global master volumes, boost on OD channel, excellent reverb.

Hughes & Kettner Statesman Quad 40w EL84 1x12 combo - More vintage oriented sound, does classic rock gain up to Gary Moore solo levels. Clean breaks up at a little over half volume ... full volume with humbuckers gives crunchy chords and singing single notes. Less features than Duotone, but still sounds fantastic on both channels. Has reverb with channel mix, serial effects loop, boost on OD channel. Cheaper than the Duotone. I'm biased on this one (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=357984).

From your opening post, if money is really no object, between these two amps it would probably come down to whether you want a more vintage or more modern sound, and whether you need a clean channel that stays clean at higher volumes.

Orange Rockerverb 50w combo - would fit the bill also, with the exception that, whilst the cabinet is fairly compact, it's a 2x12 ... and it weighs an astronomical 84lbs/38kgs.

13. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

Another vote for the Shiva.

I'm in a classic/modern rock cover band and it's my go-to amp for any gig. Fantastic sound from both channels. For super heavy stuff you may need a pedal but the amp itself will cover most anything for you.
    I've got an EL34 combo with reverb. I'd love to try a 6L6 version sometime.
    The only downside is that it's a heavy sucker to lug around.

14. Hellfire999

Hellfire999 Member

Peavey JSX?
    Peavey Valveking? (as long as you replace the tubes and speakers)

15. JZG

JZG Member

16. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Rivera...
    M60 - These can be had for great $.
    Don't know if the Fandango comes in a 1-12 but I heard a 2-12 the other night that sounded fantastic. Anyway well worth looking at any of their amps.
    Fender Supersonic comes to mind as well.
    Mike

17. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

18. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

You're going to get a ton of answers here...

but I'd take a serious look at the Bogner Shivas!

They are fantastic 2-channelers

19. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Orange Rocker 30 is a monster 2 channel,1x12 combo...and an fx loop can be installed fairly easily as a mod.

20. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

My new Mesa/Boogie 5:50 combo would fit the bill. It's not outrageously priced either.