Ultimate Attenuator Cave In

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by humbucking, Feb 17, 2009.

1. humbucking

humbucking Member

Well I did it & bought an UA. I was holding out, thinking the Hotplates were good enough(they are good!) I tried a UA over at Marks Guitar Loft & caved in! in the past I would use the hotplate & only knock the dBs down a few, but now with an infant in the house, I wanted something I could play at home & not color the sound too much. I really understand the hype I have been reading here for the past few years! Great product!

2. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I was just playing my Straub Cantus through my new UA. Love it. Sounds fantastic.

3. BostonGuitar

BostonGuitar Member

I was planning on going to Mark's to do the same thing. I play a Bogner Shiva into a hotplate and into a 4x12 with greenbacks. Much like yourself, I have a new baby in the house at 8 months old, and was curious if the UA really does the job better than the HotPlate. Care to lend any more details? Did you get any of the options, and if so, which ones and how do you like them?

4. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I got all the options. I bought it right from Mark at the NAMM show last month. The bedroom is a must if you want to play with a baby in the house. The plexi switch doesn't do much for me, I like it disengaged. I wouldn't buy it without the plexi switch though. If you ever have to re-sell it, I think it's something a lot of people want. I haven't used the 100 volt tap yet, or the line out.
    I used it with a non master volume amp. I own a shiva as well and haven't felt a need to use it with that.
    For non master volume amps I think the UA is one of those products that lives up to the hype.

5. humbucking

humbucking Member

Agree 100%! I got all the options & I dont really care for the plexi switch. I havent tried it with all my amps yet, only a couple of my plexis. J45 over on the Les paul Forum, swears by the UA & an AC30! I need to try my Voxes with it next! Nothing beats the sound & FEEL of playing through a decked amp. The UA keeps the sound as close to the real deal, but its strange doing it quietly!?!?!? I will get used to it! My son is only 3 months old, so I cant be cranking the amps with him home yet! Soon though! I have pics of me sitting on top of my dad's Leslie 147 with him cranking through it with a B3 & me only being a year old or so! I hope to god, my son catches the same bug we all have!

6. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

The Ultimate Attenuator "name" tends to give the misconception that it is something similar to a Hot plate, Weber Mass, Airbrake, etc. It is a very differant animal altogether as it is a re-amping device more so than a typical attenuator. Because of this it has the HUGE advantage of bringing the volume down to true "bedroom" levels without the mushy mids and fizzy highs that you get with attenuators, master volumes and power scaling. A standard attenuator is wonderful for taking enough volume off to make an amp more managable on stage but just can't compete with the Ultimate Attenuator at super low volumes. When used in this application it is far better than a Hot Plate.

7. b2sc

b2sc Member

Question on the UA. Does the UA scale it's volume back linearly from full, unattenuated volume to attenuated?

Or in other words, can you knock off like 2 or 3 db off a fully cranked amp or is there an initial volume drop when the UA is engaged.

I recently bought a Richter and it sounds simply amazing at all volume levels although the initial volume drop engaging the unit cuts 6-8db which IMO may be a little too much cut in some circumstances.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

^^^

You can just take off a little...or none of the volume.

J

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

AH! The 1st person other than myself who has mentioned that.. I have a CLONE of the Richter .. . IT starts at I'd guess -6db... That's a huge drop for me with some amps.. With others it's perfect. . Then it goes down to bedroom/bathroom levels ;) It's absolutely phenomenal sounding all the way down , as in just about perfect. . But the 1st -6db is a bit too much and I was really stunned it was designed that way.. it's not too much for most guys on this forum that's for sure, but for me I'd prefer a 3 db drop a lot. .

Eric

10. plexistack

plexistack Member

I thought all kids had GAS all the time?

11. humbucking

humbucking Member

He's pretty gassy!:)

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

This is wild...I was just over at Marks' Guitar Loft today talking about the Ultimate Attenuator,, and yes, speaking of old Marshall's, The Bishop-Welles Band is getting back together again.....

13. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The BEST option is the 2 volumes which doesn't seem to be available anymore.

[​IMG]

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

So, now I'm really confused.
    So much slagging of MV amps, yet you are all in love with a solid state re-amping device ?? Not saying it does not work or sound good, just confused by the logic at work here.

15. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Solid state is wonderful for true sound reproduction. Since it's taking a signal that's been created by a tube amp running at full tilt and not messing with it, just pumping it out, you are getting basic tube tone.

If you go see a big live show, you're hearing a vintage tube amp miked and pumped out of a solid state PA system. Still sounds like a tube amp.

16. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Get one already!

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Well... (we talked about this before, soldano16) ...at Kingsleypalooza (which you both missed, Mike and Rod, too bad for you all) we found out that running through the UA at near-to-full volume (not bypass) it does mess with the tone. Mainly because instead of driving a nice old 412 with 50W of EL-34 juice and a great OT, it's being driven with a 100W SS amp. Not the same thing at all. The tone was thinner and glassier, with more gain but not in a good way. Mike, you heard it the day I brought the CD in to Mark's. It's hard enough to share the stage with Mark or Steve Canty or Billy Loosigian; it's even harder when my lovely '67 plexi doesn't sound right. :(

Rod: Cool on the B/W Band. Guess Mark's got the itch again? That's a good thing. He's way too good to not be playing out. :dude If we do a summertime Kingsleypalooza at Red Hook, hope you guys will be on the bill!

18. humbucking

humbucking Member

Kingsley, there is a coloration of tone. I just found that its not as much as any of the other products out there. Nothing is going to beat a wide open amp!:AOK I just tried the UA with my AC30 this evening! Marshall was sleeping in the next room! sounded great! when you roll back the volume on the guitar, it keeps some of the chime you get when you run the amp straight. My hotplates never did that.

I am all about hitting up a Kingsleypalooza this summer!:dude outside at Red Hook!

19. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi Kingsley...We'd love to do it...sorry again for missing your birthday...the whole original band wants to put it back together

20. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Yeah, I know all that, but still, here is some irony here, don't you think ??