Ultimate Attenuator for direct recording / headphone use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Is anyone using the UA with line out for SILENT (or extremely low) direct recording to hard disk? If so, what else is required (some type of cab sim box, or can you add cab sim AFTER your through your sound card using something like Guitar Rig? I've heard some people use the Palmer DI's, but those can get expensive too, right?
    How are your results? Is this a viable option / config for getting great tube amp tones thru headphones?
    How do you guys like the bedroom switch? Is it realistic enough? I'm not really a non-MV guy (but might consider a non-MV amp if the UA is the answer). I actually like good MV amps, but even my MV amp would sound better if I could kick it up a few notches and let it breath and then reign it in with something like the UA.
    I have tried to be pretty specific in this post so no flaming / hating kicks in... I'm not interested in hearing why MV's are better than the UA, just from people with experience with the UA as listed above.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I would think you would need to get the Line Out option for this attenuator, and then to your DAW with cab sim option, or get a Palmer DI/O box or something similar that can take a speaker signal and convert it to line.

I like the Palmer PDI-09, since it takes the attenuated speaker signal from my Weber Mass, and it has a few nice speaker sims on it before shooting out a line signal to my Apogee Duet/Macbook. Does clean tones nicely.

3. ifindlay

ifindlay Member

This is my first post after a year of reading this forum,

I have a lot of experience with silent recording of guitar with a real tube amp. I have had a few Ho attenuators (the same as the Ultimates) - and have used both the line out from the attenuator box and straight into a Palmer unit (I currently use the Palmer PDI09) - straight into the Palmer sounds best. My current set up is 65amps London - Palmer PDI09 - Ho attenuator (to take the amp load and run the cabinet silent). I run the Palmer into an API strip which goes to an Apogee Ensemble running Logic Pro. In the effect loop of Logic pro I run a Lexicon PCM 90 reverb (connected digitally to the Ensemble) with a 'room' effect - I run the Palmer on the mellow speaker setting (the other settings are a little to bright). With this set up I get a really good amp sound that to my ears sounds the same as miking the 2 X 12 cabinet closely with an SM57

Hope this helps

4. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

I would really like to hear some clips of your use of the PDI-09 and Ho as a load. Would you care to put a link on this thread to some of your recordings using the above setup?

Thanks.

5. Gasp100

So, in this case (basically attenuating the tube amp signal down to NOTHING going to the speaker, ie. using it as a dummy load) is a UA really necessary? I mean, if I'm basically using an attenuator (in most cases) as a dummy load + line out could I consider looking at cheaper alternatives to the UA? (Weber Mass, etc...) Or, does the UA still add that special something (even on line out signal) that the others can't?
    Sorry, trying to be frugal. I still see a UA in my future even though it's almost half as much as some of the tube amps I'm looking at :huh

6. ifindlay

ifindlay Member

Yes - you could go the cheaper route for something just to take the load. If you are going to spend money on a unit anyway, spend a little more and get something that sounds amazing with your speakers - I have tried the Weber and hotplate, in my opinion they do not come close to the Ho unit. Take the Ho route - it is cheaper than the Ultimate and is basically the same unit.

7. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

Where can one get the HO unit? What does HO stand for?

8. ifindlay

ifindlay Member

Do yourself a favour and search this forum, the Ho attenuator has been covered extensively - do an internet search for Ho's Electronics in Vancouver Canada

9. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I'd like to hear some clips, too - got my Ho a couple weeks ago and am now in the market for a cab sim - wondering if I should got with the Palmer PDI-09 or save up for a Motherload.

10. Gasp100

Sooooo... if I did stretch a bit and get the Ultimate, but the one I wanted did not have a direct out, could I still take the speaker out of the Ultimate and run it into a regular old (cheap) DI box and into my recording rig?
    Or does it still need a physical connection to a speaker, even after offering up a dummy load. Basically, there are two Ultimates on ebay right now, neither with DI. Thanks!

11. ifindlay

ifindlay Member

Sorry guys,

I just packed my London up to go back for the reductive voltage master mod - 4 to 6 weeks. I have audio from this setup but it is part of a new unreleased recording where the songs are not licensed (yet) - so I am not going to post my tracks.

When I get my amp back I can record some demo clips and post them.

Regarding the routing - I run the speaker out of the amp into the Palmer then into the Ultimate - you do not need a speaker connected as the Ultimate accepts the load. You will need a DI box that can accept a speaker in level - just go with the Palmer - you will be happy! Remember, it will sound like a closely miked cabinet so you need to add a room type reverb to make it more realistic.

12. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I picked up a PDI-09 - got delivered today and I am jamming with it now (running an AD30 into it, then into a Ho for the load). I am impressed so far - definitely a 100x better sounding than my AxeTrak iso-cab! It does a good job of emulating a close-miced cab - good enough for my purposes, anyway (home recording, mainly). I think it's going to give me a very solid platform to build on during mixdown.

13. jams

jams Member

ad30 is that a vox modeling amp.if it is would you not get the same results from a desktop valvetronix-palmer.would not need a load then