Ultimate Attenuator, Plexi-switch with Bassman?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alivegy, Jun 16, 2008.

1. alivegy

alivegy Member

I have a blackface fender bassman that I am running into an openback 2/12 loaded with a g12h35 and vinatge 30. I play it mostly at home but hope to start playing out some soon. Basically I want an attenuator that lets me get the same tone at any volume and it sound like the ultimate attenuator (yes I know it is a solid state reamp) is my best option. Is there any point in getting the plexi switch if I plan on running the attenuator all of the time, so I can just up the treble on the amp to compensate for any treble loss?

Anyone use the plexi switch with a fender style amp? Love to hear peoples opinions. :munch

2. alivegy

alivegy Member

I thought everyone had an opinion on these things.

3. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

I'd never heard of the Ultimate Attenuator before, but now that I've looked it up, it does look to be a very good choice. I've built many attenuators myself, and I've come to the conclusion that active attenuation like what the Ultimate uses is really the best choice for any situation that requires a high level of attenuation. Yeah, if you plan to use it all the time, there really isn't any reason to have the Plexi switch. When playing at low volume, there is often a subjective loss of lows and highs (called the Fletcher-Munson effect, home stereos have those "Loud" switches to compensate for this...) but you could easily tweak the controls on the amp to compensate.

4. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I have one that i run with a Marshall 2555 and dont have the plexi swicth. Works fine for me, and Im thinking you would be ok as well. The UA is really a great unit, I love mine.

Hope that helps!

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Not gonna happen. That is the most sought after goal when people buy attenuators.

Some are better than others but when you make a statement like that be prepared for disappointment. I own and have owned different commercial attenuators and have built several of my own.

Most of the attenuators on the market sound good but the sound is not identical to running the amp full out. At least listen to one before you buy.

Plus, the UA is like 500 bucks. For that kind of money it better be delivered to my house by teenaged virgins wearing lingerie.

Dannyz likes this.
  6. alivegy

alivegy Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. From everything I've read this is what the UA achieves which is why I'm willing to spend $500 despite the disappointing lack of virgin accessories. I'm also looking into the Richter Control but it's harder to find info on that.

7. alivegy

alivegy Member

After thinking about what I said, I thought I should clarify. I don't expect it to be a 100% solid representation of my amp at volume, there are too many other factors besides just the amp that add up to create that sound. With everything that I've heard about the UA I do expect it to be as close as I can get to it. I also believe that the sound of a bassman at 6 attenuated by the UA will sound better and have more tonal options than the bassman at 1.8 where i have to play it now.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

That's cool, I want to apologize if I came across as a smart ass. It's just from my own experience and hearing the comments of others that have stated they wanted to retain their tone that it's difficult to do. No doubt the UA is a great attenuator but at those prices I would try to demo one, and others, before spending that kind of money to see if it achieved what I wanted to hear.

9. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I use one of these! https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass150.htm

10. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

I'll tell you from experience that my Ultimate Attenuator absolutely preserve's the tone at low volumes. It sounds great, no BS. This is with my 50 watt Metro plexi clone. I have clips of both, but my computer is out of commission right now.

-Joe

11. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Also, the price is totally justified for me considering that I plan on owning NMV Marshalls/Marshall style amps forever. Just my two cents.

-Joe

12. alivegy

alivegy Member

Yeah I've owned master volume amps and I'm just not a big fan. You didn't come off as a smart ass doctor, i should have just been more descriptive about what I was expecting. I haved messed with a few attenuators before and have experienced what you've described, and yes it is expensive. All the other attenuators on the market seem to really disappoint at low volumes and the UA and the richter are the only ones that I've found where people express great enthusiasm over the low volume abilites of the units and not utter frustration and disappointment. Rather than keep buying the cheaper ones and being disappointed I figured I would rather wait till I had the spare cash and just get what a large group of people have said really works for them in the situation that I plan to be using it in.

Theres another thread going in the amps section about this topic, and it sounds like for the way that I'll use it I won't need the plexiswitch, I think I'll just get the base model. I'll report back when I have it.