Ultimate Delay / Echo machine

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Trying to decide between several delays:

• Eventide Timefactor
    • TC Nova
    • Lee Jackson Dreamweaver
    I want something that can do a good echoplex and mod/delay.

Any clips of any of this stuff? Lots of talk but no tones makes jaz an unhappy boy...

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

first time ive heard of the dreamweaver. cool name and look. clip isnt inspiring. anyone try one? how new is it?

3. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

4. jzucker

5. enocaster

enocaster Member

I had a Nova and it was good in theory, but it never put a smile on my face. IMO, that's the true test for a delay!
    I then got a Timefactor, and while it can be a little too "tweeky" it just has that something extra (musicality?) that makes it a keeper. The tape delay setting is quite good, especially with the improved filter on the v2 software and very subtle use of the wow and flutter. Hopefully Eventide will listen to popular demand and substitute the "hiss" parameter with tape saturation for v3. I actually liked the Mod Delay on the Nova a little better than the TF, but something with the overall "feel" of the delays never gelled with me. While the TF's mod is good, most settings (there are several mod waveforms) end up kind of flange-y and not as chorus-ey as the Nova.

I've never played the Dreamweaver, but it seems expensive for what it does, and I feel if it had something special going on, it would have more buzz in this community of delay freaks.

6. jzucker

Thanks for the feedback. (no pun intended) :)

I think the dreamweaver is pretty new and it's pricey too, plus it's not analog and doesn't have user programs, all of which may contribute to lack of buzz about it.

I guess I'll pass on the nova but I'm disappointed that the timefactor's mod/delay is flangy since that is such a gorgeous sound.

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

man (as my moniker suggests) I have tried dozens and dozens of them...here's my favorites in no order:

Maxon AD900
    T-Rex Replica (currently on my board because of tap function)
    Deluxe MemoryMan (vintage units only, these DEFINITELY change your tone but I NEVER turn the thing off when I have it on my board! the new 'true bypass' units sound sterile in comparison).

Just sold:

Fulltone TTE (big, bulky, super high maintenance for < AD900 tone)
    MP Deep Blue (decent but thin, no tap and clicks can be heard in sig path)

8. enocaster

enocaster Member

Keep in mind the TF has a ton of parameters and I haven't used the mod setting extensively. I don't doubt chorus sounds are in there, I just haven't coaxed 'em out yet. It is an Eventide, after all. The fact that it is updateable and has a looper built in makes it worth the dough, IMO.
    Many people really like the Nova, it just didn't click with me. The TF does seem to thicken the sound a little, and I think that jives well with my fender guitar/fender amp setup. You could order them both from sweetwater or MF and return the loser.

9. jzucker

Thanks Echos. Does the maxon have mod/delay?
    What's a fair price for one?

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

Jack,

I'm at work, but I've spent significant time with both - I'll pm you my # if you want to chat about it.

12. jzucker

Thanks Lou. That'd be great.

To Jaywalker - Isn't the MS discontinued? Not really interested in buying something that's no longer manufactured.

13. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I like my Nova, and I just got a time factor and enjoy that too. They both sound great.

15. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

It is but there's quite a few of em on ebay and in second hand shops for a great price, I've just got another one for about 40 dollars.
    I'm continuing to develop multiband delay and reverb patches for the unit via the yahoo user group in my sig.
    Prices seem to be going up as people are starting to realiose what a gem it is.

16. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Great sound = Tube Tape Echo.
    And don't be fooled that some pedals can substitute it.
    For pedals Eventide is the highest level manufacturer that employed its knowledge into budget product, so TF is really great offering.

17. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

18. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

I use separate pedals for delay/echo and modulation (chorus/flange). I'm using two Rocktron pedals that seem to sound very very good, and are also very wallet-friendly. They're the Short Timer delay and the Tsunami chorus. When not using the Tsunamis' chorus/flange effect, I leave it on, switched to its' "Ambient Delay" function. It really fattens up the sound.

The Short Timer is the best digital delay pedal I think I've ever heard, very analog-sounding and smooth.

I'm sure there are better sounding pedals, but nothing I've found approaches this quality at anywhere near their cost. If you've just absolutely got to have the very very best, then these probably aren't going to satisfy. However, if you're trying to get a good sound and and save some cash, then these pedals I'd highly recommend taking a listen to.

Cheers!
    Strat

19. alp

alp Member

I have a question for Eventide TimeFactor users; is it possible to tap fourth notes and get delays at dotted eight notes to get good old cascading effect? I had a quick survey through user manual but couldn't find any info about this issue. I used to own a Boss DD-20 and remember that was possible to get the delays on different rhytmic divisions by just tapping the tempo on forths. I am about to purchase a TimeFactor but i need to clarify this. Any comment will be highly appreciated... thanks.

20. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I don't think there is an ultimate delay machine. Notice how many guys (maybe gals) here use 2 or more delay pedals, each for its unique feature set.