Ultimate Delay Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duaneallen, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

My Line 6 DL-4 just died on my gig tonight. What do you guys recommend that does the same thing as the Line 6? I want to try something different. I would like a choice of many different types of delays, with looping capabilities.
    Eventide?, TC Electronic?, ??? Looping is really important for me, so, should I go for a cool delay pedal, and then a dedicated looping pedal? If so, what are your recommendations? Thanks for all help.

2. loiking

loiking Member

The ones you tend to hear a lot of praise for are the TC Electronice Nova, The Eventide Time Factor, and the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, and every now and again the Boss Giga Delay and Space Echo.

If you want looping, which not all of the above offer, then maybe buy a simple boss looper pedal or something like that, which if its that important to you will be more versatile than a loop function on a delay pedal.

3. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

There's the Akai headrush or the empress superdelay, both of which do different delays and looping.
    Or if $$ are less important how about the EHX 2880 looper and a separate delay...?
    Anyone want to chime in on the new digitech jamman as a dedicated looper?

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'd look into the Eventide Timefactor, Boss DD-7, Akai Headrush, and the Electro Harmonix 16 Second Digital Delay. You can also look into Maneco loopers/delays, if you want... I'd probably go the 'dedicated delay/dedicated looper' route...

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I actually JUST passed by PGS's demo of the Carl Martin Echotone. My GOODNESS that is one of the best digital delay mimics of an old tape echoplex I have ever heard. If you have the funds to drop on one of these, i'd look into this pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XksbaoKtYE

6. fish01

fish01 Member

I like the T-Rex replica. I also have a T.C. Nova delay on my board also.

7. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Features: Timefactor
    Tone: Deluxe Memory Man, Memory Lane, Echobox
    Bang for the Buck: Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
    Small enclosure : DD7

There are many delays now. The Line 6 echo park actually has good modulation and "analogue" simulation. The Empress Superdelay looks amazing. The Carbon Copy seems like a great, affordable analogue choice. The Disaster Transport also looks killer.

Now, if looping really is that important:

Features: Timefactor
    Bang for the buck: SMMH

I had a DL4, and while the features were great (3 preset buttons was SO nice to have) the tone was a bit lifeless. Still though, if it worked for you, go for it. It's probably on more pro boards than anything besides the DD5.

I currently have the SMMH, and while I love it, if I was doing it again I'd get the Timefactor, just for the amount of flexibility it offers (you can actually update the software as they improve algorithms, etc – unreal). Plus, having it be MIDI controllable will be nice when I finally get a Musicomlab switcher...

Anyway, food for thought.

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

trex reptile, replica, awaiting a redesigned goudie delay too. Eventide is nice as well

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Never tried one:

[​IMG]

Features
    - Killer Sound Quality - The Signal to Noise ratio is around 105dB.

- 2.8 Seconds of Delay Time - For your extra long delays.

- 8 modes - normal, tap, autoset (delay time is set by tempo played),
    reverse, rhythm mode (multitap), tape mode, misc (dynamic, gate), and 12 second looper.

- Expression Pedal Input - allows you to control either mix or feedback with your foot.
    - High Pass/Low Pass Filter - high pass is good for electronic music, low pass is sweet for darker analog delay type sounds.

- Fast/Slow Modulation - slow adds extra texture, fast is a little crazy.

- 8 Presets - Settings can be saved to 8 presets. With three stompswitches, accessing the presets is easy.

- Tap Tempo with Ratios - many of the modes use tap tempo, and the ratio selection makes fast in-time delay times easy.

- True Bypass - The Empress Superdelay employs true bypass, so you can be sure that it's not affecting the signal when disengaged.

- Small Size - The enclosure measures approximately 5.7" by 3.75" by 1.75", which is delightfully small when considering all the features packed into this unit.

To order ; http://www.boutiquetone.com/index.ph...tegory_id=1036

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

Try out a Damage Control Timeline. It might be the closest thing to your DL4, but has two tubes inside. It should be able to do just about everything as your DL4, and do somethings better. It has great sound and flexibility to shape your sound.

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have a Timefactor and recommend it highly. It's expensive, $350-$400. The Boss DD-20 is very highly regarded by a lot of people around here, and there's a sweet deal on one in the Emporium right now, if you decide that it suits your needs.

12. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

LOVE my EMPRESS SUPERDELAY. Building a new board around it. Haven't had it long, but so far it does EVERYTHING great and the looping is just one of the killer things its does. Tape emulation and reverse are other favorites and with 8 presets available to program/save, the EMPRESS is rocking my world. And it a relatively small package too!

13. trucks

trucks Member

I have a superdelay and it is amazing. Plenty of cool, very powerful and musical. The only possible considerations for you are a maximum 12 second loop and the looper does not allow you to use delayed signals; although, you can use filters and modulation. If you need a longer loop or delayed signal in the loop then I would get the a dedicated looper and still get this gem of a delay pedal.

14. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I you want looping at delay in one I would look at the DD-20 and Time Factor

15. pbone

pbone Member

Eventide Timefactor. It does what the DL4 does, and more, and does it basically 80x better. At least. And I've measured.

16. willymod

willymod Member

My cousin's died a little while back too. He popped it open, removed the chip inside, and put it back in, and it worked again. It's worth a shot for you, if you're willing to try! This way you MIGHT not be stuck with a broken dl4. You can still get a new pedal, but you'll definately get a couple bucks more for this one if it works!

17. Yossi

Yossi Member

18. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

Based on the original poster's comments...Empress Superdelay

19. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Page not found

The page you are looking for might have been removed,
    had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.:confused:

20. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Hands down, go for the TimeFactor. You can find a used one in the $300-$350 range. It sounds amazing, has more features than any other delay pedal out there, and the looper works great.