• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

ultimate delay shootout! superdelay, timefactor, or echolution??

Nork

the ND wasn't complicated at all to me. just me tho. the thing i really didn't like about the timeline is that it requires midi to control.

slippyknees

Silver Supporting Member
I always think it's interesting that folks find the Superdelay so hard to use. If you've logged any time w/the Line 6 delay, it will be second nature for you. It looks really complicated, but in reality, it's quite simple to use.

Depends on what you want - 3 knobs (which is also great) or more control.

I have a Superdelay and an Echolution (and a Retro Sonic delay) so I've got all the food groups covered.

I love them all for different reasons but think the Echolution is amazing. It just sounds awesome, period. Quirks? Sure. It's got them (tap tempo mainly). That said, it works fine and is a great, great pedal.

The Superdelay is very hi-fi sounding but it sounds amazing as well. A little more on the digital side of things - very clear sounding (which is not bad). It has quirks too, I think, but what piece of gear doesn't?

Very curious about the Red Witch delay - just looks cool!

sheatone

I have experience with both the super delay and echolution. The SD is more functional with presets and what not. But the echolution sounds better. If you want a beautiful, lush sounding delay go with the echo. If you need the added features, the SD is the way to go.

I always think it's interesting that folks find the Superdelay so hard to use.
If you've logged any time w/the Line 6 delay, it will be second nature for you.
It looks really complicated, but in reality, it's quite simple to use.
I've had my SD for two weeks now and agree-
for the features packed into it, it's extremely intuitive.

Having said that, during rehearsals with the band,
I find that I'm CONSTANTLY hitting the 'Preset' and 'Engage' switches.
What an irritant! If you're singing and playing (which I am),
the proximity of the switches is a real hassle.

Ugh. Does the delay search never end?!

Reckedtrek

I always think it's interesting that folks find the Superdelay so hard to use.
I feel the same way about the TimeFactor. All this talk of "sub menus" etc... (not just in this thread, BTW) mentioning things like that makes the unit sound so intimidating. Are there menus inside? Yes. You typically set them once when you first get the unit (things like if you want the unit to be TB or buffered) and then you rarely need to go there again. If you do, it's not during a performance, and if/when you need to acess menus, it's easy to do anyway!

Other than that, there are knobs to turn on the unit for every parameter- (no scrolling through 1987 QuadraVerb menu chains) just like any other analog or other "simple" delay. How is it hard to turn a knob until it hits 450ms? If anything, the display makes it easier than getting a specific delay time on something like a DMM, which is generally an estimate at best. Do you get confused by which wave shape to use for modulation on the delays? The display shows you a graphical image of what the wave shape is- and again, you choose it by TURNING A KNOB.

"I hate displays, I just want to turn a knob until it sounds good" So do it that way. Use your ears to determine how much high end roll off you want or how many repeats you want. Then use the tap tempo to set the delay time.

This is not aimed at any one particular person, just the general response to people who find turning knobs on a digital delay too difficult, but easy to do on an analog delay. :messedup :facepalm :jo :dunno :huh

Maybe it's the complex act of pressing a single button twice to save a preset? I guess that is difficult to master. Sorry for the sarcasm. I guess I just don't get where the TimeFactor is so difficult to understand for some people.

*Rant mode off*

Ugh. Does the delay search never end?!
Mine ended with the Timefactor. Now I can obsess over other more important things like the search for the right dirt pedal(s)!
Here's to hoping your search comes to an end soon :beer

gururyan

This one is going to put some serious pressure on my Super Delay. I don't dislike my Empress at all, but I have yet to find a delay that makes me go, "Oh yes, this is the one for me." My old AD-900 came the closest years ago. I struggle with what I want vs. what I need in a delay, and what I want actually makes me dislike a delay because it becomes way too complicated...and I like it simple.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
If you sing and play the SD is not your horse.
T Factors are much more on the fly friendly.

I found the same thing with the TC Delay, the switching system live was a drag, having to hit 2 buttons just to scroll and being given a limited time to do so just did'nt work for me.
Try that while your singing and playing.

I stll think DD-20s are easy, verstile, and a great value.

Peeb

This one is going to put some serious pressure on my Super Delay. I don't dislike my Empress at all, but I have yet to find a delay that makes me go, "Oh yes, this is the one for me." My old AD-900 came the closest years ago. I struggle with what I want vs. what I need in a delay, and what I want actually makes me dislike a delay because it becomes way too complicated...and I like it simple.
Wow!

R_S_G_7

Heres my run down on the Timefactor vs. Superdelay.

Ease of use:
Timefactor definitely has a learning curve, but as you use it you kind of just all of a sudden know whats going on and this issue disappears completely. The Superdelay had zero learning curve for me as long as i had the "mode chart" in front of me.

options:
Timefactor is pretty much tweakable to the point where you might never find all the sounds in it, especially considering the software updates. Superdelay has sounds in it that come with tweaking but its more a face value pedal than the Timefactor.

Interface:
Digital dials and display vs. knobs and switches. You decide. I like the knobs and switches.

presets:
This is where the timefactor fails for me... you can only scroll one way through the presets unless you add a peripheral, fail fail fail, if you have heaps of presets this would be epically annoying, what good is 100 presets if this is how you have to access them. Superdelay does do the same thing but its limited amount of presets makes this issue relatively null for me. Both could be improved in this point.

Sound quality:
I think the timefactor sounds better. YMMV. My superdelay sounds great but it doesn't have much Character, but thats why i also own a DMM... I think the timefactor's tweakability allows you to dial in things better.

In the end, i can't do "tweaky" pedals as i am constantly messing with things and never play music... i never stop. This and the preset scrolling was enough to make me Sell the timefactor.

For live use i think the Dl4 and the DD-20 still rule.

That brigadier does look bloody sweet and might put pressure on my superdelay as well. NEED demos...

jdolll

i have a superdelay, and play with a guy that has a timefactor. i havn't played or heard an echolution in person. it completely depends on what you want out of a delay. the timefactor is probably more versatile by comparison if you're looking for something that does both analog and digital sounds. the superdelay is much more fun to me. i find myself lost in the endless menus and crap of the timefactor. if you had the aux tap like this1ismyne makes it would be much more useful i think. but still tons of menus. i agree with the comment before about knobs and switches vs menus. to me the superdelay feels more like a pedal vs a little mini processor. they both sound fantastic. and both do things the other won't do. my suggestion. buy both. and the strymon... that thing looks awesome

Stormbringer

presets:
This is where the timefactor fails for me... you can only scroll one way through the presets unless you add a peripheral, fail fail fail, if you have heaps of presets this would be epically annoying, what good is 100 presets if this is how you have to access them.

That is inaccurate. With the latest SW Update, you can scroll forwards and backwards and you can limit the number of active presets, up to 100.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said.

R_S_G_7

That is inaccurate. With the latest SW Update, you can scroll forwards and backwards and you can limit the number of active presets, up to 100.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said.
oops. I was unaware that they had corrected that flaw (sold mine almost a year ago). Thats great that they did because in my mind that was the biggest down fall of the pedal. hmmm i almost want one again now...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom