"Ultimate" Klon vs. Klones video shootout

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shikawkee, Jan 20, 2015.

1. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this so the mods may choose to move it but I thought with all the back and forth and craziness that occurs about Klons and Klones here that maybe this was the best place.

First off, everyone who participated gave of their time and talent freely and generously and should be commended, including the gentleman, Mike Green of Studio C Nashville, who lent us his studio and a/v equipment to do this (Mike was diagnosed with colon cancer right after shooting this so it was delayed two months but he's getting treatment and should be okay).

Second, the quotes around "ultimate" are because it would take more than the two days we shot this (and God knows how many editing) and the seven pedals we had to compare. However, we were lucky enough to get some forum members and a few pedal makers to lend us the most obvious suspects.

Third, we did the best we could to be transparent and unbiased. We know it ain't perfect. The blind part of the shootout was very difficult and the results were more obvious while we were shooting than it appears and sounds on video even though we tracked to Pro Tools which was time code synced to the video. Which proves video comparisons are a tricky thing. If you want my opinion Gary Goodlow's section which starts in the middle where he runs through each pedal in sequence and names them is the most useful but YMMV.

Forth, yeah I know I blink a lot. It's because I have a rare illness called porphyria which makes you very light sensitive but you'll notice I adjust after a bit so please forgive me.

Lastly, please remember what Oscar Wilde once said, "I am not young enough to know everything".

Your votes on the blind test are welcome and will be revealed in a coupla' weeks.

Rave on-

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Wow! Honestly, your summation at the end was by far the most helpful (I love a lot of low end, and I spend 90% of my time on the neck pup)--the chicken pickin' just blunts too many characteristics I need to evaluate and, while, your guitarist was probably closer to my style, I run a clean amp so no help there. :p All of this just goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time. -E

3. shikawkee

Thanks Eric, very kind of you to say. I play a Strat with a Tele pickup and sometimes P90's and use the neck pup a lot for my jazz stuff so that should apply. Cheers!

4. Evo5150

Evo5150 Senior Member

The real thing sounds great, it's just not $2000 great, compared to the others.

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I found them all to sound like $20 great

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I decided to run the amp hot because to me that's the best application of a Klon/Klone. I usually run the amp cleaner, but not totally clean. I'm really not a big fan of Klon type boosts into a totally clean amp, I would probably use it post-OD in that situation, but didn't want to get into stacking as that opens up a whole can of worms LOL.

7. Evo5150

Evo5150 Senior Member

I played a Klone this weekend that was pretty slick, in that it was a small form factor (like TC Electronics' mini pedals) Klone, into a PRS tube combo of some sort, mid gain. I was blown away, really. I have no idea how close it is (though it sounded pretty close, as far as I can tell) but it sounded absolutely amazing. So I'll definitely be getting a Klone of some sort.

8. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I've designed and built all types of pedals, but I'm a noob to the whole Klon thang. Not sure what the big deal is, as I didn't hear anything magical. Just some great players.

I'll look forward to the comments video so I can listen in on what these players are looking for.

Thanks for your efforts!

9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Oh, I totally get it, Gary; I know a lot of people think this is the "proper" use of a Klon, so I'm sure it helped a lot of people. I was really just commenting on how difficult it is to make a demo for all seasons, and using you as an example. :) -E

10. Garygtr

That it is Eric.

All right, this is far too civil of discussion for a thread such as this. ;-)

11. shikawkee

Thank God! Heh...that's okay, the psycho's just haven't woken up yet.:banana

BTW-Does anyone think I need to post a poll so y'all can vote on the blind test?

Thanks.

12. Garygtr

I'm thinking that those who care to try and guess the different pedals could just post their guesses. What do you think?

13. shikawkee

That would be my preference, absolutely.

14. scolfax

scolfax Member

LOL @ "Let the storm begin"!

Great video, thanks for taking the time.

15. shikawkee

Ha, thanks. You know I wanted to say #&+%storm. Heh.

16. jota

jota Member

It's flying under the radar!
    Nice work ;)

17. shikawkee

Well, we understand the video is loooooooooooooooong but it could have been longer and there's always fast forward <g>. BTW-two pedals we didn't have for the comparison but I've been able to try since are the Recovery Effects Electric OD (a steal at $129.) and the PTD Bettaboost, both of which match up VERY favorably to the original Klon.

18. ufo~

ufo~ Member

An hour and six minutes discussing THE most overrated pedal in history and it's... imitators? No thanks. Rather play my guitars.

19. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Cool story. Sorry you had to waste so much of your valuable time opening and posting in this thread.

20. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

[​IMG]