Ultimate Octave question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

What fuzz circuit is in this pedal? How does it sound when using it as just a fuzz, or more accurately, which type of fuzz does it sound like? Thanks.

2. RickB

RickB Member

Foxx Tone Machine. As just a fuzz, it is a big, thick sound but has the ability to cut depending on the tone knob setting. There is no cutting of the mids which is cool. I would say it sounds sort of like a tone-bender type fuzz crossed with a higher gain fuzz face. I have had an UO for years now and it is always a fun pedal to pull out and use. The tracking of the octave is great and with the toggle and tone knob, there are a bunch of cool sounds in there. Works great at any gain setting really and it is also cool to stack it into another fuzz or drive pedal. Definitely worth checking out IMO as they can be had relatively inexpensive.

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

+1000

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. I think it is a highly underrated as a fuzz on it's own. If that is the kind of fuzz you like, thick and juicy. And the Ocatavia setting is very cool and fun.

5. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

+1 my personal fav...

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I agree with everything said above, I love my UO...high gain and nasty, very thick but not wooly and with the mid toggle and ton control can get a load of different timbers...the octave is just icing on the cake!

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Very cool, versatile pedal. I picked one up for about $75 (!) back in 2000, but I think it has since become a casualty of TGP.

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

great sounds indeed, but IMHO a little digital sounding.... not even the octave setting, just in general. now granted i was used to my sunlion, which is a whole different beast, but the UO seemed to just be harsh. definitly has attitude and can cut and beat out a bunch of different pedals, but it didn't stay on my board very long.