1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Single Coil Challenge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ben_allison, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Ok. Here it is:

The Background

I have Dr Z Z28. I have a Diamond J-Drive and a Keeley modded Metal Zone.

I have a Les Paul and a Tele.

When I play the Tele through the J-Drive, it sounds amazing. No qualms.

When I play the Tele throught the MT2, it sounds like bees in a jar. This is not so with the Les Paul (as would be expcted).

The Question

Any ideas on a compressor, eq, or combination, that will help to tame the highs and give a little be more chunk, before hitting the MT2? I like the voicing of the MT2, so changing it is not an option. Using different guitars isn't an option because often I need the different tones in the same song. I want the cleans of the Tele, and am trying to find a way to sculpt the Heavy Gain tones coming from it.

I'd rather not drop a SC in the Les Paul or a HB in the Tele.

I'm thinking that if I put the MT2 into a separate loop, with an EQ/comp to tame the highs and just thicken it up a bit, I'll be good to go. A multiband compressor would be ideal.

Note: yes, running into a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab would help. I'm trying to get as much out of this combo as possible live.

2. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

63 views, not one reply!

:confused:

Someone must have ideas...

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ok, I'll bite - try a RC Booster in front.

As I've never tried your complete set up I'm guessing......

Best, Pete.

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

What pick up position are you in on the Tele?

6. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Member

A simple graphic EQ might help you dial out the offending frequencies. I use one with a Fulltone OCD (early model) that is sometimes too bright into my Fender Vibrolux. It's simple and it doesn't add any appreciable amount of noise.

7. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Well if the tele is stock....the bridge pickup through a metal zone is most defientely going to give you an ice-pick tone....just not a good combo. You could try some sort of mini humbucking tele pickup with a coil tap for single coil....that might work.

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

For high-gain rhythm tones, i really don't ever like to use anything but the bridge pick up, regardless of the guitar. Anything else sounds too woofy to me. There is a sharper attack at the bridge (but of course, more hi frequencies.

:jo lol!

Something simple like the tone knob might work! Wow I'm idiot. I don't ever usually like the way it sounds to roll back on the tone knob. I find more leaves than just high-end. But that mightbe just the ticket!

I think some compression/eq will give more options for tone sculpting. but I'll play with that more, and see what turns up.

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

One other thought would be to be in mid position but play around with the pick up heights to get a favorable blend.

10. WordMan

WordMan Member

HarryJ is right - folks not used to using the controls on their guitars often forget they are even there. With my P-90 LP Custom, playing with both tone and volume controls on the guitar opens up whole new vistas. Try playing with both - sometimes the tone control backs things off nicely, sometimes keeping the tone up to 10 but backing off the volume to about 8.5 takes some ice-picky/harshness out while keeping the highs present. I do both depending on the song...

11. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

It's funny because I'm another one guilty of not using the tone control (until recently). I generally hate the way the roll-off for clean sounds... but going into a dirt box or a heavily distorted amp is a totally different thing. That little control can take an annoying, crashy, ice-picky sound and transform it into warm sustain like nobody's business. It also cuts out quite a bit of noise. I'm even considering changing the tone control in one of my guitars out for a resistor and capacitor on a switch.

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm guilty of not using the tone control on my tele as well. But since the previous owner of my tele drilled a hole for a toggle switch, I rewired the switch to select different capacitors to roll off some treble. It took some trial and error to get the values but it does work great. It's quick and repeatable. There's the added side effect of a slightly out of phase sound that works with heavier overdrives. It's a byproduct of having the capacitor in the signal and depends the capacitor selected.

13. WordMan

WordMan Member

The better the single coil, the more important the wood. If you have a guitar that has a wood-driven tone and the single-coils deliver it - meaning it is responsive and dark and changes to the guitar's volume and tone points are dynamic and broad, then you need to make sure you have the best pots and caps you can have. Bumblebees, Hovlands and good pots at the right rating change EVERYTHING - but only if the wood is right and the pickup delivers the wood's tone...

14. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

try throwin a Z Vex Super hard on in the line. That will definetly open up your sound and overdrive your pre amp section if you want.

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Wow! Pete!

That I was gonna say...

That exactly what I am doing.

RC booster in front ... is really powerful.

And you can put a BJF comp in after...

Tomo

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

Tomo, I really like the RC Booster infront of any BF Fender amp - it's like adding another dimension to the sound. Doesn't do so much with Marshall type amp imo, though.
    Best, Pete.

17. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

That is a great tip for most cases. The thing with the Metal Zone is that it is not an overdrive, or particularly "tube" like. It is very much a "distortion" effect, and simulates modern gain beasts like Diezel, Bogner etc. It doesn't respond all that well to being driven.

Wordman, great advice. When the controls are wide open, the thing sounds gorgeous. When volume or tone get rolled off, a lot goes missing.

Something to look into.

The fixed capacitor thing is a great idea. Much more "user-friendly." Just flip a switch and you have a predictable result...

So many things to try. Hoorah for experiements! Thanks all. Keep the ideas coming.

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Pete,

We have similar taste. Your wife is Italian?

Hao's Sole Pressure is great too. More tweed-ish tone.
    Johnny loves it as well as RC booster. Johnny is using
    more pedals for his od tone.

Tomo

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Tomo,
    Yes to Wife - "Italian gregarious" suits my "uptight Englishness" - we alternate between Pasta and Roast Beef on Sundays..............

I've never tried the Hao "Sole Pressure" because as you know I'm really not a pedal person..........what impressed me originally about seeing you with the CJOD was the lovely sound with the Pro Reverb on 3, i.e. very low level (for a Pro Reverb).

I really missed seeing you in Chicago.

Best, Pete.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Interesting thread...