Ultimate Steak Grilling Primer

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AZChilicat, Jan 3, 2018.

1. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

2. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Remember when I thanked you for the sous-vide Christmas gift idea? Well NYE we soo-wee'd a couple Wagyu grade tenderloins. Ho-Lee-SchiBe. Yummy!!!

[​IMG]

That's St Agur blue melted on top of the steak, a VERY heavily anchovey'd ceasar and some snap peas on the side. Out of frame is some Cab Sauv and San Pellegrino (bottle cap is in frame tho-lol)

EDIT: Sorry for the left turn but grilling weather is months away here. And I owed you another tip o the cap.

3. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Would eat.

Looks fantastic!

rambleon, derekd and RhytmEarl like this.
  4. s2y

s2y Member

That looks tasty. Can't wait until grillin' season starts.

[​IMG]

Speaking of meat, I had the opportunity to try a wagyu beef that was cured/smoked like a ham. The pic isn't mine. The stuff I tried reminded me a lot of a really nice corned beef.

5. Bozak

Bozak Member

That's a lot of words for something very simple, it's really not that hard to make a great steak.

But they kind of lost me proclaiming that you can make a better steak at home than a great steakhouse, because they have time constraints and you don't, wrong.

There is nothing you can do at home to overcome the shortcoming of not having the top quality beef found at the best restaurants, your butcher/Costco ain't got it - they do, and it's very hard to create the high temperatures at home that a commercial broiler can reach, between those two things I would surrender to making great steaks at home, but not Peter Luger great.

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

I'm going to start doing that.... buy a big chunk of meat at a discount and slice it thick the way I like it. :drool

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Teh Smith likes this.
  7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I feel like I've been here long enough to admit that my wife does all the grilling at our house.

There are reasons for this. The main reason is that I suck at it and she rules at it.

Jim Holloway, mdrake34, Tony and 6 others like this.
  8. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

The thing is the set of "the best restaurants" is far smaller than "steakhouse." I'll put my sous vide steaks against all but the very elite places like a Luger's.

9. sanrico

sanrico Member

I have questions. I've always done a grilling method that worked well, but might be too much activity:
    • Acclimate at room temp for about an hour. Optional: marinade in Worcestershire sauce (optional) and/or steak seasoning (optional)
    • Place steaks on grill at 500 F and close hood for three minutes
    • Turn steaks and close hood for three minutes
    • Leave one burner on high, turn others to low and place steaks over low burner, close hood for three minutes
    • Turn and close hood for three minutes
    The steaks were good with this method, but then I watched a video on pan-frying and tried that. It's easy and comes out GREAT, but really makes a good mess to clean up.
    • Acclimate steak to room temperature. Rub lightly with olive oil and course salt/pepper
    • Get iron skillet very hot, lightly add oil and place steaks right before smoke point
    • Three minute sear on first side
    • Turn and three minute sear
    • Add butter to pan and stand steak on side to melt fat. Spoon butter over steak for 2-3 minutes
    • Add minute on side one if you want it cooked more or if it's exceptionally thick
    • Let rest for 5 minutes and serve
    I like this second technique a lot, and the taste is great with the butter , but hate the cleanup/splatter. I've started doing a hybrid on my grill, but the side burner doesn't get hot enough to get the pan smoking like I want.

Any tips?

10. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Maybe an inexpensive induction burner? We have one that I think cost us about $40 and it will get a pan absolutely smoking.

Crowder and sanrico like this.
  11. sanrico

sanrico Member

Oh hell yes! I didn't know about these! This would be perfect. I love the pan method, and doing it outside would be great. As much as I love the smell of grilling steaks, I hate filling the entire house with it. Personal peeve.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

eeeeew

needs a nerf sized baked tater with 1/4 lb bacon chops, chives and butter chunks, rolls and butter, a small dinner salad.

That's how steak is done... not blue cheese aflredo chovey ceasar nero'd jack peas or whatever lol

snook6 likes this.
  13. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

You forgot a PBR to wash it down with.

14. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Nothin but Jack with a lil Coke maybe... wine? meh

PBR is too W Va for me

15. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Local upscale eatery has very high quality wet or dry aged Prime Steer that they sell from their butcher shop on premise. So, look for local high end steak/butchers. My friend turned me on to this place: he buys 60 day dry aged Prime, which I have had at his place, and is incredible! NOT CHEAP.

16. sanrico

sanrico Member

I have more questions now after watching some videos.

1. What do you think of this inexpensive unit on amazon?:
    2. My cast iron should work fine, no?

17. Lance

Lance Member

Cast iron is fine. I like to use coconut oil to grease the skillet with.

18. markdub

markdub Supporting Member

I'm with you, but unfortunately my Costco blade tenderizes even their Prime steaks. Just weird and unnecessary IMO.
    Non sous vide practitioners should be wary of that treatment given it takes about 37 minutes (I think I recall?) at 135 F to kill stuff off that could make it inside given the blades treatment. i.e., not possible to do on a grill without much of the steak being way overdone.

AZChilicat likes this.
  19. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

I am a certified grillmaster.

Lost my patio and grill in the divorce, need to learn how do the cast iron stovetop/broiler thing so I can bring the meat into my bachelor pad...

AZChilicat and ToneGrail like this.
  20. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

get a little cast iron dutch oven and forego the stovetop stage. heat the dutch oven to 500, pop the steak in and cover immediately. 3 minutes later, flip it over and cover again. i usually throw some crushed garlic on top at the flipping stage. a squirt of olive oil and some oregano. much less mess and house stinking.