Ultra DS-1 Mod - worth $$ ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woland, Dec 18, 2009.

1. woland

woland Member

Like probably everybody else here I haave Boss DS-1 collecting dust in the corner - so I thought about sending it for Ultra mod. But I listened to clips on web and you may call me tone deaf but I am not sure I hear $75 worth of improvement there. So I presume difference must be rather subtle?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

You aren't tone deaf, I never cared for the SEM/UM. I think the best DS-1 mod going is the $20 Allums mod.

3. mdclark58

mdclark58 Member

Somewhere between salvation and redemption.
    I've never tried the allums mod, but I had a Keeley. I a/b'd it with a stock ds1 and there was no comparison. I don't know that I'd pay 75 more to have it modded, but I'd pay 75 for it on eBay. IMHO it's better than the crunch box and many other distortion boxes. Ymmv...

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've had a V3 CB, Allums DS-1 and Ultra DS-1 side by side in a shootout, and while the CB wins, the Allums kills the Ultra.

It probably depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a great lead pedal, than I can see why a person might prefer the Ultra.

5. humfree

humfree Member

I really like the JCM high gain mod posted on the Vintage Guitar Magazine website. For high gain lead guitar it sounds better than my Keeley Phat. More bass, and smoother distortion (Tone knob between 9-10 o'clock) but there is noticeable give and good picking dynamics for a high gain pedal. And they are cheap to mod!

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Feb/Boss_DS_1_Mods.aspx

6. woland

woland Member

Thanks! This is great info - I was not aware of Allums existence - but looking at his website those are pretty nice deals (if you can solder). Rat mods look good - I wonder if current YDRs are still US made.

7. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Senior Member

you can find much cheaper keeley mods than 75 on ebay, if you go that route.

8. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

The keeley mod does low gain very well. I was always trying to get some high gainer out of it and never really liked it. Monte is probably the way to go if you can solder.

9. modernage

modernage Member

When it comes to DS1 mods, I really like the Indyguitarist's...

10. dmc777

dmc777 Member

I JUST sold my Keeley Ultra seeing eye 2 days ago. I kept that pedal around longer than any other pedal I've owned. I though it was amazing what he did to the pedal. It really is great at low and high volumes imo. Great bedroom pedal for that Marshall sound and can cover alot of ground. I didn't want to sell it but I really needed the money.....plus, I can do my own mods now and took snapshots of keeleys work and I can always order Monte's kit which is about 5 miles down the road from me. He's a great guy to work with and very affordable. I highly recommend his kits. So, If I were you and you already have a DS1 go the Monte route and save yourself 50 bucks....