Ultra Plus 120

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Aug 16, 2008.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Just stumbled across this beast for 299$! Its in mint condition and as far as Im concerned you can beat that for the money! 120 watts ,beefy transformers,3 channels. I have the Ultra 112 60 watt combo so this will make a nice companion for it. These amps are built tough too.Thankfully the footswitch was included. Nice thing about the Ultra plus is the 1/2 power switch but whats even cooler is the lighted logo! ;) Oh yeah they cover clean to scream too. Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

3. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

great amps for the money and you got a great deal!

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Cool amps! Predecessor to the Triple XXX which sounds thinner and buzzier. Didn't care for the cleans, but the overdrive and distortion channels were great for Metal. Total sleeper.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Man, than was one of my first tube amps I bought!

Absolutely killer amps or the money.
    I think I paid 699.99 new for it and I got a lot of use out of it.
    I finally sold but it sure was a great amp.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I agree-its easier to get a warmer tone out of the Ultra's than the XXX. Im sure I could manage to warm up a XXX though. At less than 1/2 the price of a XXX why bother! The JJ 6L6's look fairly new and tested strong on my Eico tester too so thats a "plus" . GT JJ's in the pre amp all tested good too. Ive got a slew of 12AX7's but the way it sounds now Im not going to bother.

Sniper-V- I bought my Ultra 112 in 96? for around 650$ and still have it too. The only amp Ive kept that long.
    Bob

7. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Wow!, $299. for one in mint condition is an awesome price!:AOK
    I have one in mint condition but I paid $500. for it.:BITCH
    I personally think they're the best of the high gain amps Peavey ever made!!:dude

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Nice score!!! I missed the boat on one of these about 6 mos ago. A guy was selling locally on craigslist for $300. He sold it 2 days before I contacted him. He said he had it out there for sale for 3 months before he moved it!! Timing is everything!
    Any plans to post some audio clips of it?

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Bump for absolutely the best 299$ purchase Ive ever made! Really enjoying this one! :JAMBob

10. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Didn't the guitarist from Soundgarden play a Peavey Tube head for a while?

dk

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Dont know. Wouldnt surprised me though. This Ultra has plenty enough grunt to get those types of sounds-lots of low end muscle too. Ive think Ive read he might have used a VTM? Bob

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Update- Damn.this one one of Peaveys finest!-really! The cleans are a lot nicer than than I initially thought. With the bright switch engaged its got a lot more sparkle. The dirty channels continue to amaze me. With the added power and what ever tweaks they did (compared to my 60 watt Ultra 112) its just meaty as hell. This amp sounds as good as any I own at the moment-that includes my Supersonic and Rivera Chubster. Though a pair of G12K-100's its great for clean to scream. Actually my friend that plays "nu-metal" was impressed with its over the top high gain sound. I dig it for slightly tamer stuff- classic rock to 80's mental. Anyways this thing is a great amp for a lot of styles and a steal in todays market! Bob

13. EdgeOfDarkness

EdgeOfDarkness Member

I have been preaching that for years.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well Im right there with you now! Bob

15. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Have had my Ultra 112 combo for about 3 weeks now.................................love it! The 3 channels really can cover a lot of ground. Nice cleans to classic rock crunch, to full blown metal. Retubed it w/ JJ's pres and power tubes. I peg the gain and volume on the ultra channel so it's still a little noisy even w/ the new tubes, but that comes w/ the territory.

16. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Pegging the gain on the Ultra channel-with the extra gain button engaged? Thats a lot of gain! I rarely(if ever) turn mine up that much! If its only "a little noisy" your doing good! Ive had my Ultra 112 combo since new in 97. I just picked up the Ultra Plus a couple months ago. I like it a tad better-heck its a 'plus" right? lol! Both great amps. Bob

17. oldmanmetal

oldmanmetal Senior Member

Kim Thayil did not use this amp. They are okay for the money. The Butcher, and VTM-120 or 60 set up right I like even better.

18. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Kim Thayil I believe used a VTM. If the Ultra had been around he probably would have used it instead. The VTM is ok for the money. The Ultra and Ultra Plus I like much better though. Bob