(Un)Official Melancon Guitars Thread - Come on in...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Scott Peterson, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

The Melancon Forum is no more. Sigh. So it struck me as a good idea to start an (Un)Official Melancon Guitars thread here on TGP.

Gerard is a one man shop; he's building guitars in Thibodaux, Louisiana with some of the best quality tone-woods and craftsmanship on Earth.

My Melancon Guitars story has been told on these pages many times; but in short, I had a lot of guitars at one time and wanted a back up to my Anderson Drop Top I was playing at the time. Having met Gerard and seeing his guitars at a NAMM show, I pursued having him make one for me and at the time, it was to be a back up guitar.

Well, that guitar showed up in early summer 2004 and it was like a bolt out of the blue. It was one of those watershed moments in your life where you just all the sudden know everything has changed.

Since that day, I whittled my guitar harems down from well over 30+ prime instruments to well into the single digits and that one guitar, a Melancon Custom Artist "S" shape has never let me down. It's been my #1 from the day it hit here. I loved it SO much that in fall 2004 I commissioned a second Melancon based on my first but in a Tele shape, that guitar is #1-a here.

The tones, playability, resonant necks, top notch finishing, pristine workmanship in crafting these guitars has stood the test of time for me. My main guitar has had 2 partial refrets and I wore the finish off the back the "T" from simply playing them so much. Everything from hard rock, country, funk, pop, classic rock, R&B and Motown has been no problem for these two guitars.

On top of all this is the man himself. Humble, honest, straightforward; Gerard would give you the shirt off his back. He's a helluva player himself too - the man has guitars in his blood. His shop has been through hurricanes and floods; and he's survived these disasters and economic times by going back to his roots and just building guitars that he can take pride in having his name on.

I just had him refinish the back of my Custom Artist T's neck; he turned that thing around inside of a week for me. The guitar's like new again; and with that sort of customer service on top of everything else... this man deserves a thread here in the Small Company Luthier's section on TGP.

Share your pictures, your thoughts, your stories, your experiences and your questions here - and I'll do what I can to make Gerard aware of this thread and if he can't answer directly; I'll see if I can get answers from him if you post them.

His guitars can hang with ANY of the big boys, the high end boutique guys or anyone else. They are world class and deserve to be talked about.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Hey and what the heck is a Melancon Guitars thread without pictures from me of my two Melancons? ;)

My 2004 Melancon Custom Artist "S": Koa top over chambered Swamp Ash, +.40 oversize neck carve, Koa dot fretboard inlays, Koa humbucker ring; WCR Goodwood/SR/SR (H/S/S) pickups, Stellartone electronics, Tremol-No on the Melancon trem bridge; 6 lbs. 8oz..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 2005 Melancon Custom Artist "T": Koa top over chambered Swamp Ash, +.20 oversize neck carve, Koa dot fretboard inlays, Koa humbucker ring; WCR Goodwood/SR/SR (H/S/S) pickups, Stellartone electronics, Melancon hard-tail bridge; 6 lbs. 5oz.. Has the FIRST Melancon Koa overlaid peg head with Paua Melancon logo. Back of the headstock is signed by Gerard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My ugly mug playing live:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artjr and Fishyfishfish like this.
  3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

4. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

This recently-received Melancon is the finest HSH Superstrat I've played:
    [​IMG]

It's a recent (2008) guitar with ss frets (yummy) and Melancon's custom pickups, which I assume are wound by Dimarzio (given that they're double cream) and would love to know more about specs-wise.

-Austin

Artjr likes this.
  5. Millul

Millul Member

I like it!!!

6. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    [​IMG]

Not much to add here, but HOLY CRAP! Awesome instruments.

7. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Very cool guitars.

8. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

The cream plastics on that superstrat are a great touch. They look awesome.

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Had one for a bit. Great axe, neck was too skinny for me...

10. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I think he has changed that recently. My guitar is listed as having a Standard neck carve and it feels close to the Vintage C Medium neck on my Suhr; definitely not tiny. I get the impression that the standard neck carve used to be more like Suhr's even C slim carve.

-Austin

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Everyone knows how I go through guitars here like I change my underwear. I have a stressful Job sometimes and it helps me relax. Anyhow as a result I rarely have anything in my stable over 1-2 years. 1 guitar I still have and I don't ever see myself getting Rid of is my Melacon Custom Artist T. Just the besk neck I've ever played and it plays and sounds amazing. I never took any Pics because I usually only take Pics of guitars I want to sell. :huh

I'll take a few of her and post them tonight......she is also one of my most beautiful guitars. [​IMG]

12. john b

john b Member

Hey Scott - thanks for beginning this thread. Gerard deserves major props and it was sad to see the Mel forum go under. My jaw always drops open when you post pics of your two koa axes. Your description of Gerard and his work is right on.

I'll have pics this weekend of a Mel that's being delivered on Friday. Working with Gerard on this has been a great experience. He says that this is the first of this particular set up that he's made. I can't wait to get my hands on it and I'm sure some folks around here will freak when the pics go up!

13. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

This is my number 1 as it has been for years now. It's a dream guitar that gets better with age. It was my honor to meet Gerard and call him friend (as he is to all who meet him) and order this from him personally. This guitar is used exclusively for praise & worship music with a very dynamic worship team. It is beautiful to the eye, to the touch, and to the ears (most of the time anyway...). Scott, thanks for posting this! I miss the old forum terribly and just yesterday finally deleted the links from my favorites, hoping that the power of denial would prevail!

Greg[​IMG]

14. terrapin

terrapin Member

I LOVE Gerard's work. Here is a pic of mine which is my favorite guitar I have ever played!!!!

[​IMG]

15. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

16. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Damn. I am now strongly considering pulling my Koa Custom Artist out of the Emporium. Great guitars!

Peace.

17. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

BEKAY...........your guitar is the one I was searching for to match my baby:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think a secret to these guitars is the way the neck bolts to the body without a Plate:

[​IMG]

It just rings and sustains like the best set necks I've played. Fantasic Fret work, my alltime favorite neck size (+.30) and that little magic toggle that fattens up the P90's or leans them out......Its my desert Island guitar. And for those of you that know me , that is saying ALOT.

BEKAY......you let me know if you ever want to sell that baby alright? A Humbucker Twin would be cool..........[​IMG]

19. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I traded a Gadow for my Melancon Pro Artist a few months ago. Gadow was a great guitar but I didn't play it much and was looking for a "perfect S type."

Well, the Mel fits the bill. Nothing flashy. Sounds great. Plays easy. Has a great vintage tone. What more can you ask for? I'm pretty sure I'll own another Mel before too long.
    [​IMG]

20. terrapin

terrapin Member

Put a hardtail on this guitar and it is the perfect Melancon dream IMO!!!!! What are the PU's and switching???