(Un)Official Melancon Guitars Thread - Come on in...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Scott Peterson, Nov 3, 2009.

1. halfdriven

halfdriven Member

I own #802 amazing guitar. Prayers for the Melancon family

2. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I saw Steely Dan last night and Jon Herington played a Melancon Custom T style. Thought it worth posting a lovely quote.

"MY MELANCON GUITAR

THE NEWEST AXE IN THE SHED DOES SO MANY JOBS SO WELL IT’S CAUSING A FEW OF THE OTHERS TO COLLECT SOME DUST LATELY. IT WAS MADE FOR ME BY GERARD MELANCON IN HIS SHOP IN THIBODAUX, LA. I TOLD HIM EVERYTHING I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IN A GUITAR, AND HE MANAGED TO GET EVERYTHING EXACTLY HOW I LIKE IT, AND SOMEHOW INCLUDED AN “X” FACTOR, TOO, WHICH MAKES THIS GUITAR HARD TO PUT DOWN.
    IT’S ESSENTIALLY A TELE SHAPE, BUT IT HAS A “TUMMY CUT” WHICH MAKES IT MORE COMFORTABLE THAN A STANDARD TELE. IT (OBVIOUSLY!) HAS BEAUTIFUL WOODS, AND THE NECK HAS A 12 INCH RADIUS, BIG STAINLESS STEEL FRETS, AND A SUBTLE FINISH WHICH FEELS SMOOTH AND BROKEN-IN. BUT THE MOST EXCITING THING ABOUT THE NECK FOR ME IS THE SHORTER (GIBSON RATHER THAN FENDER) SCALE, WHICH IS MORE COMFORTABLE AND ALLOWS ME TO SWITCH FROM GIBSON GUITARS WITHOUT HAVING TO ADJUST.
    THE BRIDGE PICKUP IS A LINDY FRALIN UNBUCKER, THE MIDDLE PICKUP IS A HOT STRAT-STYLE SINGLE COIL ALSO BY FRALIN, AND THE NECK PICKUP IS A LOLLAR MINI HUMBUCKER. THE NECK AND BRIDGE PICKUPS CAN BE SWITCHED TO SINGLE COIL MODE WITH A PUSH/PUSH POT ON THE TONE CONTROL. THERE’S ALSO A 5 POSITION PICKUP SELECTOR SO I CAN GET THE STRAT-STYLE COMBINATION SOUNDS.
    THE GUITAR GIVES ME PRETTY MUCH EVERY TYPE OF SOUND I NEED - IT’S ABSOLUTELY THE MOST VERSATILE GUITAR I’VE OWNED, AND ALL THE TONES ARE BEAUTIFUL, THANKS TO THE WOODS AND THE WORKMANSHIP.
    MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO GERARD FOR HIS DEEP UNDERSTANDING AND EXPERTISE, AND ONE FANTASTIC GUITAR!"

http://www.jonherington.com/gear.html

Lucidology and westex like this.
  3. tommc

tommc Member

I looked up the specs for this Mel on Reverb and it list the neck as "soft V overcarve". Does anyone know what the true measurement might be? https://reverb.com/item/30710152-melancon-pro-artist-olympic-white

Sad to hear that Gerard has passed. I bought my first Mel in '03. I never met him, only exchanged a few emails. Had he been ill?

4. RSRD

RSRD Member

What!!! I knew Gerard. I brought a master artist down to him for a tune up and spent a day with him. Such a nice guy. I had no idea. This is horrible. Would appreciate any more info.

5. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Yeah passed from cancer recently. fantastic builder and super nice guy. Sad for his family.

I’ll miss seeing his smiling face at namm this year, always a highlight for me on my infrequent namm treks

Lucidology likes this.
  6. scott

scott Supporting Member

Wow. I didn’t know. Another one moves on. Rest In Peace brother.

7. tommc

tommc Member

Looks like the Melancon website has been taken down, which is understandable. I went to look up a used Mel in the registry and got nothing, "database error, can't connect". I smile every time I pick up one of my 2 Mels, but his passing is sad.

8. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Member

I checked and it’s still there?
    I do know Gerard handed the business over before his passing to a guy that worked for him, I don’t have any details but from what I gather he is a builder that worked for Gerard, I’m guessing it’s from when he had a small group of guys years ago

9. tommc

tommc Member

You are correct, sites is still there. Must have been user error on my part.

tonecontrol likes this.
  10. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

I’m coming back into the fold with a custom artist en route just couldn’t resist.

11. tommc

tommc Member

derekd likes this.
  12. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I recently bought #1812. An instrument of great refinement indeed.

13. tommc

tommc Member

Well, lets see it while we're all sitting around the computer.....

If I had to guess, I'd say....
    Serial Number: 1812
    Completed: 2015-09-08
    Body Wood: Alder
    Body Color: Olympic White
    Chambers: N
    Top Wood: NA
    Bridge: Tremolo
    Neck Wood: Maple
    Neck Finish: Satin with Vintage Tint
    Neck Carve: Soft Vee
    Overcarve: NA
    Nutsize: 1.65″
    Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
    Fretboard Radius: 12″
    Pickups Bridge: Melancon PAFB
    Pickups Middle: Melancon Blues SC
    Pickups Neck: Melancon Blues SC
    Hardware Color: Chrome
    Additional Features: Push/Pull 2nd tone to split bridge pickup.
    Headstock Color: Natural
    Fretwire Size: Stainless Steel Medium
    Pickguard: Mint

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    pickslide likes this.
  14. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Have #669 from Namn... Was my #1 go to for many years. Absolute rates as one of the best guitars I've ever had.

Unfortunately the neck busted ... Gerald said the body neck slot is interchangable with other Tele style bolt ons.
    However, I've decided to sell the chambered body to someone who aleady has a Melancon Tele and wants to experiment ...

The body is a simply stunning Swamp Ass Orange ...
    Have many a YouTube where you can be see me playing it if curious ...

16. imissmj

imissmj Member

Can anyone direct me to a replacement trem arm for the trem on my pro artist? The trem looks very similar/identical to the trems on my Custom Artists except for the large Push In bushing.

I recently parted ways with 3 of my Mels. Happy they are going to get played and I still have my two faves.

17. tommc

tommc Member

While we're setting around the house, lets see who has the oldest Mel. I have P-90 Artist, #1041 which I ordered in 3/04. I also have #1277 which I believe is from 2009.

18. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

1114 here. 2004 I believe. There are much older obviously.

19. imissmj

imissmj Member

I have 507 and 1200

ETA 2004 would make sense. I ordered 1384 and got it right at the end of 07/beginning of 08 I believe.