Unbalanced hanging Gretsch guitar - question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6789, Jul 5, 2008.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I just bought my first Gretsch and the headstock slides south when I wear a strap. I'm using a strap that's rough on the backside - it's not a slippery strap.

I'm guessing the solution is to install a strap pin in a different location. where do you suggest I put it? or do you have another solution?

here's a photo with two possible locations that I can think of. I'm not sure which would be best.

thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

I would go for "B" I had an SG that did the same and I moved the front strap button to a similar spot but I also moved the rear button about three inches towards the bass side. this fixed the problem for me.

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful Guitar!

Reminds me of Billy Zoom's.

4. 6789

6789 Member

5. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

I wouldn't do either - "A" will get in the way of your right hand, and "B" won't change the balance my much (if any), and may also make the guitar lean forward like an SG. Any new holes you drill will ruin the resale value. If you want to keep the guitar, I suggest either and acoustic strap tied to the headstock, or add some fishing weights inside the control cavity to weight the body side down.