unbucker tele neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by el duderino, Feb 10, 2008.

1. el duderino

el duderino Member

it's tax time and i am getting new pickups for the tele!! pretty set on the blues special in the bridge... does anybody have an unbucker in the neck? is it fat in humbucker mode? what does the split sound like? clips? thanks for the help

2. Jon K.

Jon K. Member

Sorry I can't help answer the question, but I'd be interested in hearing clips, too!

3. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing

I currently have one with a Duncan 59 in the neck
    and a nocaster bridge, the Duncan 59 is about 7k
    or 3.5k split

I am suprised how usable the 3.5k setting is
    I thought it would be way to thin.

I'm about to pick up a stock unbucker, and start
    from there, I already have the Blues Special bridge
    pup, but it doesn't play well with the Fender nocaster
    bridge. They are wound incompatible, the bridge/neck
    setting doesn't mix

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have a Koll Tele with an Unbucker in the neck and a Blues Special bridge. A wonderful combination - I absolutely love it.

5. el duderino

el duderino Member

KRosser - What does the unbucker sound like? Does it sound like a full on humbucker or is it thinner than normal?

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

The Lindy Fralin Unbucker is awesome in the neck position of a tele. As a humbucker it sounds like a PAF Burstbucker (same idea, mismatched coil windings give a little more edge compared to the usual creamy PAF sound) but is not too bright. Paired (in parallel) with the Blues Special Tele Bridge pickup, the Unbucker is very chimey (Brown Sugar, for sure).

Now here's where it gets interesting. With an 8K Unbucker, you have one 5K coil and one 3K coil. Order it in 'coil prep' three-conductor wiring and you can shunt the extra wire to ground, turning off the weaker coil. Now you have a nice strong 5K coil that pairs very well with the single coil in the bridge for more traditional Tele style sounds. Wire up a series option for yourself and you won't regret it.

My tele partscaster has the following choices:
    1. bridge pickup alone
    2. bridge + coil-shunted neck pickup in parallel (very close to a regular Fender tele sound, very quacky and bright)
    3. bridge + coil-shunted neck pickup in series (sounds like the fourth position on a modded Tele, hotter output, more midrange)
    4. bridge single coil and neck full-blown humbucker together (in parallel)
    5. neck humbucker alone

The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the pure sound of the coil-shunted unbucker standing alone, so it's not one of the choices. Then again, like a lot of people I'd probably be unhappy with the sound of most single coils in the neck position of a Tele.

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

It's brighter and 'airier' than many humbuckers I hear, still with plenty of warmth - this may have to do with the very high quality ash-bodied Koll guitar mine is in, but - I like it a lot. Nothing I would call 'thin', at all.

8. el duderino

el duderino Member

Thanks for all the info!!! Especially Bob, that was exactly for! If you have an 8k unbucker what is the blues special, 9k, 10k? Thanks again, i'm real stoked for these pickups