Unchained

ToddK

I think it would help if you were more aware of how Eddie plays it, rather than getting too involved in effect and amp tweaking. I believe his sound came more from the way he touched the guitar, especially the right hand.

The way you're playing it, it seems like either you got it from a screwy tab, or maybe
lifted it by ear, without watching Eddie play it.
For instance,Eddie doesnt use the first position Dsus/D chord. It doesnt sound right in first position. And in the verse, he doesnt play the open D string after the C note . He plays it on
5th string 5th fret. You're playing the D string open, and you're not repeating the C note after the D. Doesnt sound right. The pre-chorus sounds odd too. You play it too literally, like you read it from a tab, but didnt actually listen to it.
I wont even comment on what you did to the solo. Yikes.

Overall, it wasnt too bad. Very decent tone. You look like you're having an awful lot of fun, and thats what its all about.
Rock on!
T

paulscape

Overall, it wasnt too bad. Very decent tone. You look like you're having an awful lot of fun, and thats what its all about.
Rock on!
T
Yes I dont really ever sit around and learn tabs too much...I prefer to do my own thing than be album perfect. I realise many parts are wrong and with a bit more time would not be hard to get right. In hindsight I should have improvised it a lot more to make it noticably my own - like ditched Ed's solo and done completely my own thing or played it with a totally different guitar tone to the original. In many ways its a constrictive song unless its played acurately and I only realised that fully after posting and re-listening to it and then re-listening to the original! In many ways that's a good way to learn it because you instantly realise the specific parts that are at fault and if I do it again I know exactly where to fix things up. Van Halen is a funny thing because Ive probably listened to unchained hundreds of times but when it comes to playing it Ive realised how much I DONT know the song. Cheers

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I'd love for you to re-visit the verse riff. Instead of playing the open D string, slide up to the 5th fret on A, that way you can get that little vibrato that EVH does there and chunk along with the open drop D. The next part, slide from C to D play the 3 and 4 strings, repeat the pattern sliding from D to E in the first part of the verse riff.

Trending Topics