Uncirculated 1960 Burst discovered in the UK

hogy

I do not, for the life of me, understand how people who are supposedly into vintage guitars can rag on Joe Bonamassa. He has done more than anybody alive to keep the value of your guitars up. He genuinely loves this stuff, uses it, keeps it visible and relevant. He's also a really nice guy, actually. Whether or not you are into his music, the guy can play and understands vintage tone. Wanna know what a real burst through a '59 Twin sounds like? Read about it on the internet, or go see a Joe B. gig.

Sheesh, I know hating on Joe has become a TGP meme, but talk about shooting yourself in the foot out of jealousy...

I hope Joe sells a million Epiphone copies of his guitars and keeps throwing the proceeds back into real guitars. He works harder for them than I could, or would.

riscado

It was bought second hand by the owner, who played it well into the 90s. The owner of ATB has confirmed on another forum, he made a mistake in the video, it was actually gigged up into the 90s, not 70s as initially mentioned.

So does this still count and "uncirculated", it seems to me like it saw plenty circulation.

Anyway cool to see another pop up and hope Joe enjoys it.

sws1

It was bought second hand by the owner, who played it well into the 90s. The owner of ATB has confirmed on another forum, he made a mistake in the video, it was actually gigged up into the 90s, not 70s as initially mentioned.

So does this still count and "uncirculated", it seems to me like it saw plenty circulation.

Anyway cool to see another pop up and hope Joe enjoys it.

Gigging it is not the same as circulating it (which is buying and selling it).

HuggyWuggy

Of the approximately 1700 ‘bursts built, only around 5000 still exist.

B271CBCE-33BD-438E-B798-0DFAC0CF59DD.gif

riscado

Gigging it is not the same as circulating it (which is buying and selling it).

Yeah but seems like there was a fair share of that as well, with at least two previous owners that we know of, potentially more.

Uncirculated to whom?

Porschefender

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think there has been any real concern for the value of vintage guitars going down at least in the last thirty years and coveting someones possessions is envy not jealousy.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah but seems like there was a fair share of that as well, with at least two previous owners that we know of, potentially more.

Uncirculated to whom?

The definition of Uncirculated to a guitar dealer means that it hasn’t been passed around the guitar collector community yet. As it’s unknown to the burst collecting folks.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
It's funny that he gets flack for buying guitars, and he gets flack for selling guitars. How many folks honestly are in the market to buy these guitars? I'm assuming most on forums don't have anywhere near the $$$, so really, no matter what, 99.999% of forumites aren't likely to acquire any of these when they come up.

But if he doesn't keep them forever, and eventually sells them, then guys have another chance to buy it from him. Heck guys could just reach out to him and make an offer if they seriously wanted the guitar.
If you ask me, Joe is the smart one.
He jumps on these guitars as the first person to buy them when they appear from hibernation.
Joe is the guy that is going to make money on these guitars. If he has the money and is into vintage guitars AND can be the first to buy when they come up for sale after years and years, then why not?
Its the guy buying from Joe that probably wont make any money

ukulelelab

If Bonamassa has some cash left a clean 1960 has re-surfaced in Paris (serial 0 2***).
Owner was a tailor who bought it to learn to play (he played it through a hifi amp), gave up in 1968 and put it away.
His family rediscovered the guitar whilst going through his belongings.

Last edited:

Parksie

A clean 1960 has re-surfaced in Paris (serial 02***).
Owner was a tailor who bought it to learn to play (he played it through a hifi amp), gave up in 1968 and put it away.

Please move to crazy pricing thread :p

sws1

If Bonamassa has some cash left a clean 1960 has re-surfaced in Paris (serial 0 2***).

Let's see how this plays out.

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member

That is spectacular. Early 1960 would be the sweet spot for me (not just Bursts, but most Gibsons), in terms of specs and color. The factory hadn't switched to the tomato soup red yet, and this one is such a great example of the original unfaded color.

Love the reaction they have after taking the pickguard off and there is virtually no fade. Bursts aged into a multitude of different shades, but I do love the rich red color they usually had from the factory.

If the guitar is all original, it's an incredible example.

sws1

That is spectacular. Early 1960 would be the sweet spot for me (not just Bursts, but most Gibsons), in terms of specs and color. The factory hadn't switched to the tomato soup red yet, and this one is such a great example of the original unfaded color.

Love the reaction they have after taking the pickguard off and there is virtually no fade. Bursts aged into a multitude of different shades, but I do love the rich red color they usually had from the factory.

If the guitar is all original, it's an incredible example.

This one is mid-60 (maybe not calendar-wise, but in terms of production). After the necks started to get a bit smaller (around 0 1800 or so), but before they tomato soup / blade neck. Still comfy, but noticeably smaller.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom