Uncompressed Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gas Hed, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I've owned 2 fuzz pedals that really compressed my tone. When I check out reviews online for fuzz pedals, they all seem to do the same. Is this just the nature of the beast or are there fuzz pedals out there like the Timmy that do their thing but are transparent?

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If you want clear and open then you don't want fuzz. Transparent and uncompressed is just not what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

I'd check out an Analogman Sunface BC108..... least compressed of the AM Sunfaces
    I have experienced. It's more open and not all choked, zippery, and stuffy like many
    fuzzes can be.... and which all of the other Sunfaces are to one degree or another.

Oh... and the PTD Fuzz (Bone Machine, MiniBone, Rotobone) all have more open
    tones while still being somewhat "fuzzy." Amazingly versatile fuzzes whose demos
    online tend to highlight the more compressed tones and not the opens ones. They
    are there, though, in spades. :)

4. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

There are some fuzzes with a clean blend, too. Just
    don't ask me which ones. It is late. It is Saturday.
    Need I say more? :drink

:D

5. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

keeley fuzzhead may be an option.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Fuzz is the epitome of drive. The nature of making the overdriven sound is in going above available headroom. When you reach the max headroom available, then compression limits the sound resulting in overdrive. So where many pedals create that done without actually reaching the headroom limit of a given amp, that is the root of the effect.
    Asking for a fuzz that doesn't compress is almost like asking for a tone control that doesn't roll of highs.

The perception of an uncompressed fuzz would probably result in a brighter tone or with a blend like hinted above.

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

> Uncompressed
    > Fuzz

Choose one.

8. tashiattack

tashiattack Member

Black Arts Pharaoh is the closest I've ever come to using a fuzz that retains the character of your amp.

9. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

Blakemore Effects "Deus Ex Machina" has blend and mids boost. Still a fuzz though

10. Bibs

Bibs Member

The Earthquaker Dream Crusher fuzz is open and raw sounding.

11. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I'd say Analogman Astrotone could better fit OP's expectations. Astrotone is often referred as a fuss for those who don't like fuzz pedals. Other variations of the same circuit are Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx and Mojo Hand Zephyr.
    Other options are Keeley Fuzz Head (or Son of Fuzz Head) and Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver. IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of these pedals.

12. br91

br91 Member

Iron Horse has an open mode.

13. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Excellent reply, and one I wanted to include here as well! Overdriven signals, whether in the form of OD, distortion or fuzz, include compression by definition. However, some fuzz circuits are less compressed and more dynamic than others, for example a fuzz face will be much more dynamic than a modern Big Muff. My own choice for gritty fuzz that remains very open and responsive in a very amp-like way is the Jetter Gain Stage Blue (which weirdly enough it has almost always flown under the TGP radar).

14. Billy Idle

Billy Idle Member

A Scarab Deluxe can do this distortion-like character with a fuzzy grain.
    But compression is part of any fuzz. Fuzz is tone-destruction in many cases.

15. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Played through a SolidGoldFx Rosie yesterday, was impressed at how transparent it was, i.e. how much guitar SC bridge character is preserved...

16. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

It includes a few tones that are less aggressive than other fuzzes, but I've never really heard anyone classify it in the "transparent" category, and rightfully so. There are others with a far better sweet spot for low gain & transparency duties, some of them mentioned here and others - like the Skreddy Screwdriver and the Fairfield Barbershop - elsewhere (just search TGP for "fuzzy overdrives").

17. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

Analogman AstroTone maybe?

18. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I agree... in relative terms within the universe of muff, the Pharaoh may be more transparent than the average (which I do like allot for those characteristics), but for open/transparent, the universe of muff is probably not where to look....

19. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

Basic Audio Spooky Tooth can be set to be extremely dynamic, especially when I back off the guitar volume by just a tiny hair.

20. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for backing me up. I was concerned my point didn't translate into words well.
    When you mention dynamics, it makes me wonder if a ToneBender style drive might be a good strategy.