• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Unconventional Use of Effects

jrockbridge

This is a long story. So, I’ll bold the most important parts, including punchline, for the TLDR crowd and you can scroll down to what’s in bold. Hopefully, the longer version is entertaining enough for those who bother to read the full thing.

The pedal is a Zoom MS50G. The full chain is...
Sennheiser e906 Mic > Hosa Imp > Zoom MS50G > Kustom powered PA speaker.

A few years back, my wife insisted on getting a Mynah bird.
I tried to talk her out of it. I knew she would lose interest and I’d end up taking care of the bird.

The bird is very loud, especially when I’m not in the room. He whistles, calling out for me which is normal. Birds are social creatures who call out for their flock when they are alone.

My son and I have become attached to the bird. He’s quirky, entertaining and can say a lot of phrases.

It’s interesting how quickly a Mynah can learn some words and phrases, yet never learn, nor repeat, others. For example, we say, “Alexa,” multiple times a day. Yet, the bird never learned that word. Maybe it’s too hard for him to say.

The Mynah can say, “Hi. Hello. Oh yeah. I mean. Good morning. I love you. What are you doing? My name is ___, what’s yours? Get up and shower. Go take a shower. I can talk, can you fly?” Etc. He laughs, which sounds maniacal.

He learned to curse from me, one day when I got frustrated putting together a drum shield. Those plastic hinges are tight making it nearly impossible to get the shield into them. I figured out a trick using window cleaner as a lubricant and pounding them with a rubber mallet. Anyway, the Mynah started saying, “F@&k! J#%*s C$@#$t! G@d D@##&t! the very next morning. It was garbled. That’s the way it always starts, as if he’s got a clear recording in his brain but it takes him awhile to work out the pronunciation. I tried to switch him to, “Fudge! Cheese and Rice! and Dagnabbit!” He was really starting to get Dagnabbit but dropped it, seemingly, because he prefers the actual curse words.

We are going to move the bird downstairs to my son’s room, so that my wife stops yelling at the bird when he’s being loud. My son and I have showed her information online that says you are not supposed to yell at birds. Apparently, she can’t help herself. The bird being loud does not seem to bother my son, nor I.

Today, I tried an experiment, using the microphone, Imp, Zoom MultiStomp and powered speaker. The Zoom MS virtual chain of fx = Booster > Z Clean amp > Graphic EQ > Noise Gate > Delay. I tried a virtual compressor out front of the virtual chain but it kept causing feedback loops with the microphone, so I dropped that effect.

It took some tweaking to get the settings and levels just right. I have the virtual delay set on 4 seconds. Now, when the Mynah squawks, whistles or talks, the speaker repeats it back 4 seconds later. The idea is that the bird feels less alone when I’m not there.

I read this story about a rare breed of bird that conservationists wanted to entice to a certain island to help start a colony there. They created concrete decoys of the breed and painted them. The first bird to show up was a male. He fell in love with one of the concrete decoys. Even when real female birds finally showed up to the island, he had no interest. He only wanted to stay with his concrete mate. Sadly, he recently died. But, that story gave me an idea.

I found Starling decoys online. Mynah birds are part of the Starling family. I plan to get model paint to paint the decoys once they get here. My hope is that the decoys and the sound system will create the feeling of a virtual flock for the Mynah.

The bird is really happy when I’m sitting there, talking to him. He seems to get stressed when I’m not there and becomes noisy. Again, he’s calling out to the flock (me).

The sound system seemed to make the bird excited and happy today. Hopefully, the decoys will help as well when they arrive.

Do you have any stories about unconventional use of gear and effects?

Last edited:

jrockbridge

To scare the cat? :dunno

lol, I hope SelfDefence doesn't get brought up
I’m allergic to cats. And, when my son got three Robo hamsters, I found out I’m even more allergic to those rodents. I had to start using an asthma inhaler. I don’t have asthma. Fortunately, Robo’s have a short life span. They are long dead and gone now. My inhaler is gone as well, no longer needed.

I have three female chihuahuas. They wanted to eat the Mynah when we first got him. They are over him now.

The Mynah lives in a very large cage. He jumps from perch to perch. Sometimes, he does a spin move while he flaps his wings, jumping from one side to the other. Rarely, he gets startled and flaps wildly, landing on the bottom or side of the cage. The chihuahuas will sometimes lift their heads to see what the commotion is about. Or, if the bird flings some of his food pellets out of the cage, the dogs will go and eat them off the floor. The pellets are made from fruit, harmless to dogs.

Science is starting to discover that birds are much more intelligent than previously thought. Crows have shown higher levels of thought. Research shows that crows and other corvids known what they know and can ponder the content of their own minds.

Mynah birds are intelligent birds. They tend to get bored in captivity. So, ours has lots of toys in his cage and he often plays with them.

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, if he can play with toys, he can play! Get him something small like an MS-20 Mini and he can be the keyboard player in the band! Well, maybe start with a cheap Casio until he gets the idea... Does he dance?

jrockbridge

Hey, if he can play with toys, he can play! Get him something small like an MS-20 Mini and he can be the keyboard player in the band! Well, maybe start with a cheap Casio until he gets the idea... Does he dance?
He does not dance. He hops.

I’m at work and my son is home. My son says that the bird has figured out that if he screeches loud, right into the microphone, it feeds back and he gets a bunch of repeats. The delay is set to zero feedback, or no repeats. But, of course, when you have a mic with a delay, the microphone pics up the original sound and the echo. My son says the Mynah loves the microphone feedback the best and he’s going crazy with the sound system. He absolutely loves playing with the setup.

Seems the Mynah is a bit of a diva on that microphone. The bird seems to be developing LSD, lead singer’s disease.

Riffa

That's very cool. I remember having fun with my dog (back when she was just a puppy) while playing delayed notes (AD-80) through the amp. She would sniff around the amp looking really puzzled like "where are those weird noises coming from?".

FokenBusker

I'm really enjoying experimenting with stereo-to-mono chains. If I put a BOSS PS-6 at the front of the chain, use it to split the signal from mono to stereo, use different flavours of dirt in each channel, and then sum-to-mono with the BOSS RC-3 (I love that this pedal does this), I can get all kinds of interesting sounding tones. Using the Shigeharu on the main channel and using a Ram's Head on the second channel (which also has an octave-down going on from the PS-6), sounds fantastic. I prefer with a dry signal so I can hear more of the Shig's octave fuzz sizzle.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Rook
Flock of Seagulls
... just a few of the possible derails.

More fun tho, would be to give the bird a self-oscillation button.

This is a long story. So, I’ll bold the most important parts, including punchline, for the TLDR crowd and you can scroll down to what’s in bold. Hopefully, the longer version is entertaining enough for those who bother to read the full thing.

The pedal is a Zoom MS50G. The full chain is...
Sennheiser e906 Mic > Hosa Imp > Zoom MS50G > Kustom powered PA speaker.

A few years back, my wife insisted on getting a Mynah bird.
I tried to talk her out of it. I knew she would lose interest and I’d end up taking care of the bird.

The bird is very loud, especially when I’m not in the room. He whistles, calling out for me which is normal. Birds are social creatures who call out for their flock when they are alone.

My son and I have become attached to the bird. He’s quirky, entertaining and can say a lot of phrases.

It’s interesting how quickly a Mynah can learn some words and phrases, yet never learn, nor repeat, others. For example, we say, “Alexa,” multiple times a day. Yet, the bird never learned that word. Maybe it’s too hard for him to say.

The Mynah can say, “Hi. Hello. Oh yeah. I mean. Good morning. I love you. What are you doing? My name is ___, what’s yours? Get up and shower. Go take a shower. I can talk, can you fly?” Etc. He laughs, which sounds maniacal.

He learned to curse from me, one day when I got frustrated putting together a drum shield. Those plastic hinges are tight making it nearly impossible to get the shield into them. I figured out a trick using window cleaner as a lubricant and pounding them with a rubber mallet. Anyway, the Mynah started saying, “F@&k! J#%*s C$@#$t! G@d D@##&t! the very next morning. It was garbled. That’s the way it always starts, as if he’s got a clear recording in his brain but it takes him awhile to work out the pronunciation. I tried to switch him to, “Fudge! Cheese and Rice! and Dagnabbit!” He was really starting to get Dagnabbit but dropped it, seemingly, because he prefers the actual curse words.

We are going to move the bird downstairs to my son’s room, so that my wife stops yelling at the bird when he’s being loud. My son and I have showed her information online that says you are not supposed to yell at birds. Apparently, she can’t help herself. The bird being loud does not seem to bother my son, nor I.

Today, I tried an experiment, using the microphone, Imp, Zoom MultiStomp and powered speaker. The Zoom MS virtual chain of fx = Booster > Z Clean amp > Graphic EQ > Noise Gate > Delay. I tried a virtual compressor out front of the virtual chain but it kept causing feedback loops with the microphone, so I dropped that effect.

It took some tweaking to get the settings and levels just right. I have the virtual delay set on 4 seconds. Now, when the Mynah squawks, whistles or talks, the speaker repeats it back 4 seconds later. The idea is that the bird feels less alone when I’m not there.

I read this story about a rare breed of bird that conservationists wanted to entice to a certain island to help start a colony there. They created concrete decoys of the breed and painted them. The first bird to show up was a male. He fell in love with one of the concrete decoys. Even when real female birds finally showed up to the island, he had no interest. He only wanted to stay with his concrete mate. Sadly, he recently died. But, that story gave me an idea.

I found Starling decoys online. Mynah birds are part of the Starling family. I plan to get model paint to paint the decoys once they get here. My hope is that the decoys and the sound system will create the feeling of a virtual flock for the Mynah.

The bird is really happy when I’m sitting there, talking to him. He seems to get stressed when I’m not there and becomes noisy. Again, he’s calling out to the flock (me).

The sound system seemed to have a calming effect on the bird today. Hopefully, the decoys will help as well when they arrive.

Do you have any stories about unconventional use of gear and effects?
I think this might be my favorite post ever.

Seriously.

@jrockbridge, You are the man.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
My son says the dogs have now joined in on the fun. They bark at the feedback made by the bird. Then, they bark at the echoes of their barking. Lol!
I made some recordings of my guinea pigs and when they heard the playback, they were completely baffled!

p.j.

I use my Hotone Krush bit crusher as a stand-alone vibrato sometimes and do the same with my Old Blood Dweller. Both pedals are capable of much whackier sounds but sometimes it is fun to just be chill secure in the knowledge that you can blast off into outer space if you need to. ;)

Trending Topics