Under $200USD Stompbox Reverb...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops

...that doesn't suck :)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? So far I've liked the EH Holy Grail but I refuse to buy something that noisy and I've read one too many horror stories about a horrible whining sound from this unit as well as a hiss.

I want to create really ambient soundscapes similar to dredg/godspeed you ! black emperor, sparta, etc. Anyone make one that doesn't sound sterile or 'too digital' ?

2. Curt

Curt Member

I've tried most of them. The "Verbzilla" has my vote.

3. Platypus

How does this stand up quality wise? I've tried most of the tone core pedals and while they were great, they all had terrible quality issues from what I could tell. Every time I would go to try one at a shop it would always be broken.

Can it nail that wall of sound ambience like those bands mentioned above?

thanks!

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Try out a Yamaha Magicstomp. It has some nice 'verbs IMO.

5. Curt

Curt Member

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Verbzilla. It replaced my tc G Major reverbs. No issues re noise or quality. Same for the Echo Park - no noise issues - I power both with a PP2+. These appear to be very high quality pedals - very solid (heavy too). Lots of options on the Verbzilla and very fast and easy to tweak on the fly. Check out the sound samples - they are accurate. It sounds super in stereo, especially with the Echo Park.

7. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I have a Verbzilla as well... It is a really nice sounding pedal. I get a little hiss when using a Godlyke PS, but other than that, it's great. Be warned, it is a battery hog, hence the PS.....

FWIW, based on my positive experience with the VZ, I am probably going to pick up an Echo Park too.

8. Platypus

Wow pretty across the board there. Thanks for the input, I'll go check it out.

Anyone have a differing opinion?

9. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I went through this search not long ago And here is what I decided After trying multiple pedals.
    Digiverb= Some nice settings but has a hint of digital fakeness if you listen closely.
    Holy Grail-Has some noise and is not totally transparent; however, it has some nice settings.
    Verbazilla-More tweakable settings than the digiverb but still suffers from some digital fakeness.
    Holier Grail-This is the best pedal reverb available! It sounds analog! It has more variety of sounds than the first offering and does not suffer from extra noise. Mine is totally silent! It sounds so warm and analog its hard to believe its digital! I have been seeing these in some pro's rigs lately such as Brad Paisley and others.

10. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I recently got a Clark Beaufort and have been considering having the ability to add reverb. I have been looking at the Verbzilla after reading all the reviews here in the past couple of months. Everyone seems to like it. I haven't read a bad review yet.
    I have a couple of questions for any Verbzilla owners. I am right that it is not true bypass? I have also read some people say there is no coloration or tone suck. Is that everyone's consensus? If not TB, does it have a buffer similar to Boss pedals? I couldn't find any info on the Line 6 site about that.

11. Curt

Curt Member

It's not true bypass. But, a reverb pedal usually sits at the end of the chain so it doesn't matter much anyway. FWIW, I can't hear any difference in tone with it in, or out of the chain. It just sounds good. Real good.

12. Platypus

How is the build quality on the Holier Grail?

13. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Very good, no problems at all. I really don't think you can find a better reverb in pedal form. I almost did'nt try this because I had tried the holy grail and figured it would be basically the same; however, I was wrong. These are not the same. You must try this pedal, you will not regret it.

14. Platypus

I'll give it the old college try. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Man!!!!

All you guys forgot the EBS Dynaverb!!!

$180.00, built like a tank.

Sounds good too. And SMALL!!!.

16. autopilot

autopilot Member

17. Platypus

How does it compare to the Verbzilla or Holier Grail?
    Can it nail the sound I'm after in my first post?

Thanks for the suggestion!

18. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Another vote for the verbzilla.

19. vorvick

vorvick Member

20. Legend

Legend Member

Another extremely happy verbzilla user here. No complaints so far, and great tones.