Under the radar amps?

laughingsam

Last week, had one of my two amps and all of my pedals stolen from my garage unit. As a result, I'm now trying to rebuild my rig(s). I have run an open jam which I backline for a few years, so this needs to happen fairly quickly, but also on a budget. I'm still waiting to hear back from my renter's insurance company on how much they'll cover, but the amp was a steal for what it was (a hand built Princeton clone with a little more oomph) and several of the pedals were built for me as gifts with individualized mods, so not worth much on the market, but indispensable to me.

Anyway, I still have an original VHT 12/20, which I love. I put in a C Rex (I've put them into every amp I've had for a decade or so now) and some beefier tubes and it's great. I got it because it can be Deluxe-ish, but didn't break the bank. That's kind of what I mean by under the radar. Sure, TGP knows all about it, but it's well built, sounds great, and without the big name on it, it's not got the added price tag.

I'm not necessarily beholden to getting another Princeton style amp, and actually am looking in the 20-30 watt range (the Blue Stone Soul Kicker Jr that got stolen was 20ish). I'm pretty open to anything, really (though often Vox seem a bit too bright, to me). I'm also not totally opposed to solid state, though I do prefer tubes to be involved somehow.

So TGP, what are some amps I should look for that I may not have heard of or realized were as good as they are?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
THD Bivalve. Usually under $800 used, small, built like a tank, can reach assorted volumes without compromise, full-amp direct-out, if a speaker blows, can do Fendery to Plexish, Vox with EL84s, maybe a little Dumbley.

Fendery

Plexish

Dumbley

... Dang, I have to make a better Vox attempt.

Last edited:

8len8

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member

Granger = some pretty dry brown sound clips, I like that.

BC Audio = look nice, but very pricey.

Chicago Slim

Every time I buy one of the popular, highly recommend amps, I regret it. My favorite amps have all been unpopular. Here are my favorites.

Kustom '36 Coupe. Fenderish sounds, once I changed the speaker.

Vox TB18C1 (sounds like a Tweed amp).

Bad Cat Cougar 15. Has a Tone switch that allows for Blackface, Tweed Vox and Marshall sounds.

Last edited:

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Last week, had one of my two amps and all of my pedals stolen from my garage unit. As a result, I'm now trying to rebuild my rig(s). I have run an open jam which I backline for a few years, so this needs to happen fairly quickly, but also on a budget. I'm still waiting to hear back from my renter's insurance company on how much they'll cover, but the amp was a steal for what it was (a hand built Princeton clone with a little more oomph) and several of the pedals were built for me as gifts with individualized mods, so not worth much on the market, but indispensable to me.

Anyway, I still have an original VHT 12/20, which I love. I put in a C Rex (I've put them into every amp I've had for a decade or so now) and some beefier tubes and it's great. I got it because it can be Deluxe-ish, but didn't break the bank. That's kind of what I mean by under the radar. Sure, TGP knows all about it, but it's well built, sounds great, and without the big name on it, it's not got the added price tag.

I'm not necessarily beholden to getting another Princeton style amp, and actually am looking in the 20-30 watt range (the Blue Stone Soul Kicker Jr that got stolen was 20ish). I'm pretty open to anything, really (though often Vox seem a bit too bright, to me). I'm also not totally opposed to solid state, though I do prefer tubes to be involved somehow.

So TGP, what are some amps I should look for that I may not have heard of or realized were as good as they are?
crate vintage club 30. clean channel only. not too bright, very touch sensitive. played one at a friend’s open jam (20+ years ago) and that tone still haunts me. i’m serious.

GtrTravel

Vintage Sound, Vintage 15. It is handbuilt princeton style amp with a mid control and 12 inch speaker. Humbucker Music sells them. The best princeton I ever played. Reasonable price and high quality.

Wyatt Martin

You never hear much good about the Carvin Belair but with a mod or 2 I have enjoyed this amp over every Fender reissue I have owned.

1643413473265.jpeg

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Fuchs come to mind instantly.

Also fargen for the HW goodness. The blackbird is a blackface style alongside the marshall styles.

Fuchs is such a weird thing to me because when I was a kid on these boards they were like the pinnacle amps. Seemed like everyone owned/played them.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
Fuchs is such a weird thing to me because when I was a kid on these boards they were like the pinnacle amps. Seemed like everyone owned/played them.
I remember when the Fuchs were the $@!t. Of course they still are, but not the buzz/enthusiasm about them like the old days.

Sorry to hear your plight OP. The sting of theft always sucks.

pepedede

There was a post here previously from Andy Fuchs, who is/ was a member. Lamenting how overlooked they were when their amps matched or beat the others.

Also not really having a long running well known endorsee. Many people haven't tried them.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
There was a post here previously from Andy Fuchs, who is/ was a member. Lamenting how overlooked they were when their amps matched or beat the others.

Also not really having a long running well known endorsee. Many people haven't tried them.
Over a decade ago I was trying to decide between Two Rock and Fuchs.

All my Two Rocks are long gone. They were some of my favorites back in the day, but my tastes changed (I'm sure that never happens to anyone else here ;-).

Like @beckstriad, so many amps I want to try. We'll probably never get to most of them.

Limited by time, and @DiPa & @Steve Snider already own everything else in the world ;-).

Fuchs is still on my list. Was very tempted to buy the ODS II @beckstriad had for sale.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom