Undercover Boss: Peavey Electronics on tonight

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Al Varez, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere on here, sorry if it already was. Hartley Peavey going undercover on the 6505 assembly line?

2. marmalade cream

marmalade cream Member

Interesting, I've never seen this show but I like the Peavey company so I may check it out. Besides CBS is one of the three channels I get!

3. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

It says COO Courtland Gray is going undercover.

4. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

Just watch this episode. I found it very interesting, and unfortunate that they've suffered so much in their United States plants. Makes me feel guilty about wanting to buy a Chinese made 6505 MH when it comes out in May :)

5. kccheers

kccheers Member

I was just scrolling thru Facebook and Peavey Electronics posted an apology of sorts, saying how sad they were about the eventual outcome of the episode (no spoilers) and the flaming started. In a matter of minutes they had 208 comments, many with replies, and not one positive. People were hating on Hartley. Anywho, a few minutes later they deleted the entire post. If you see the episode you will understand my post better. Just a sign of the times.

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Only saw 5 mins., can you elaborate? Thanks.

7. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

The COO seemed pretty insincere throughout the show; not like any of the other ones I've watched where the PIC seemed genuinely interested and engaged.

The update at the end where they close the plant was unsettling. It would seem they did the show for exposure and publicity. Which I guess is why any business would do it, but in the past I have generally been impressed with the companies and "bosses" on the show. My opinion of Peavey went down several notches as a result. Whatever though, businesses gotta do what they gotta do I guess. Still, I won't be buying any new Peavey products in the future.

8. DRS

DRS Member

Hard times in the land of plenty.

9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

What got me is they talked the one guy into staying who gave his 2 weeks notice for a better job. That was pretty low. Hartley is too sharp not to know he was shutting down a plant 3 months before. I have a feeling they shot themselves in the foot. The bit in LA was funny the bands sound was awful and the sound guy goes well it's a peavey mic

10. Defendant

Defendant Member

Sounds like a fun watch!

11. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Read the recap, thanks for the link. Wow... It's too bad that things are going this way. In the past Peavey made everything in the US and was proud of it, also they used to be very protective of their dealerships. In the 80s if you had a Peavey dealership and sold a product at discount to someone outside your area, your dealership could get pulled. I heard from several store owners that the Peavey dealership was the golden egg; if you had that you were basically made.

I always figured when Peavey started showing up in Musicians Friend that it was all over. Plus the loss of high profile endorsers such as EVH, as well as the rise of direct competition such as Carvin and especially Behringer, made them into just another lower tier equipment company.

I'm looking forward to seeing the show, but it sounds really sad, the beginning of the end of an empire. But it is good to see the faces of those that have their livelihood sacrificed for the good of the shareholder. Hope there are other places to work in Meridian.

12. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

I watched the episode. At the end, it did make me re-think buying from Peavey...or any overseas built guitar or amp; except Japan maybe. My job was outsourced some years back and they shut the plant down. Not that a China made amp is bad, I have a Dual Terror that I like a lot. I do have a Peavey HP Special CT that I think is a wonderful guitar...USA made.

13. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I wonder how long till Peavey get bought by Fender Gibson or another and becomes just a name slapped on some outsourced goods and activated or shut down as the market fluxes and quarterly reports demand.

14. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

Most gear you buy anymore is a name slapped on an outsourced product. Many of the biggest names no longer make their own stuff. Peavey doesnt have to be sold/bought by anybody else for this to happen to them. They are already doing it on their own.

15. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I DVR'ed it, gonna check it out later.

16. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Finally watched this repeated on ABC. Pretty sad.