Underrated/forgotten overdrive pedals?

Riffa

I haven't. No reason to be prejudice about the fact it's digital? It's got more gain than the OD-3, right?
I was quite surprised by how responsive it is. One of the best digital pedals I own. It does have more gain than the OD-3 if you crank it.

scotty31

Crunchbox in all of its versions.
yeah. this is a great recommendation.

the early one is nice and simple, the deluxe opens up a good range of overdrive tones
The Classic Distortion, if you can find one, was also pretty good. As is the tube zone, but it has quite a range of tone, so you've gotta remember your settings.

One slightly obscure/forgotten option is the Fulltone Distortion Pro. Another one you need to work at but when you dial it in right it's got an unmistakable raw MIAB break up to it.

Silkrodamus

JustADudeNamedJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I also own and love the Blues Master. I scratched off the frogpedals.com and the Frog logo and it came right off. Looks dope as hell now and sounds terrific. This pedal bumped a Greer Lightspeed into the pedal drawer for now.
Nice!! Might do the same. I've replaced it at different times with a kot, snouse, POT, blues blaster...etc. all great pedals, but always go back to my blues master.

sunburster

I rarely see the Boss OD-2R on people's boards, but it's on mine, and it's staying put. It's beaten out all other OD's I've tried. It does low gain, medium gain and even high gain (in Turbo mode).

p4.jpg

JereDigi

I rarely see the Boss OD-2R on people's boards, but it's on mine, and it's staying put. It's beaten out all other OD's I've tried. It does low gain, medium gain and even high gain (in Turbo mode).

p4.jpg
Speak of the devil i didn't know this existed... I just bought the ds-2 ...

fuzzaholic

Nine Volt is called Animals Pedal now. The particular pedal mentioned is definitely the high-gain variety, tho.
ap106146.jpg

I want it. I don't even care how it sounds or how much it costs. That dog looks EXACTLY like my dog.

yeah. this is a great recommendation.

the early one is nice and simple, the deluxe opens up a good range of overdrive tones
The Classic Distortion, if you can find one, was also pretty good. As is the tube zone, but it has quite a range of tone, so you've gotta remember your settings.

One slightly obscure/forgotten option is the Fulltone Distortion Pro. Another one you need to work at but when you dial it in right it's got an unmistakable raw MIAB break up to it.

I might give it another try, but I'd be surprised if the crunch box ever wins me over.
I used to have a tube zone for a while. I remember being hugely annoyed by the amount of fizz in the higher gain settings.

fuzzaholic

I wasn't sure about current availablity, but it does look like Animals Pedals have the I Was A Wolf in their current line-up, with rejigged artwork and their new template/layout...

s-l1600.jpg

I'm seeing listings for these on eBay, so it looks like they are still available to purchase from new.

I was pleasantly suprised when I saw the price :)
All the demos focus on the high gain settings obviously, and I'd really need to be able to use it for low/medium gain stuff too. Often these super compressed high gain bsiab type overdrives sound meh when the gain control is backed down...:/

Edit: I was probably getting overexcited because of the low price and sweet graphics. After checking a bunch of demo's I realise it's probably a nice generic miab type circuit, but nothing a similar overdrive from Way Huge, Xotic, JHS, Barber, Mi Audio, Boss, Hardwire, etc...can't give me.

Last edited:

DarnWeight

Edit: I was probably getting overexcited because of the low price and sweet graphics. After checking a bunch of demo's I realise it's probably a nice generic miab type circuit, but nothing a similar overdrive from Way Huge, Xotic, JHS, Barber, Mi Audio, Boss, Hardwire, etc...can't give me.

Yeah, I've no doubt it's a variant of some common MIAB or another, but it does what it does well. It does bottom out at a mid-gain crunchy overdrive tone, so if you need BluesBreaker ballpark lower gain sounds, definitely keep looking!

Last edited:

fuzzaholic

I've got it down to...

Cheap: Hardwire SC-2, Boss OD-3.
Affordable: Providence Red Rock od, Barber DD, BE Mantra (low gain mod),...
Pricey: JHS @, Bogner Burnley Wessex/Burnley.

Resale value and mojo is always something to keep in mind too, for obvious reasons. Which is why I'm leaning more towards the affordable/pricey categories. The JHS/Bogner stuff would be the opposite of what this thread was meant for though, my pedal budget is currently pretty pathetic, so I'm hoping to expand the options for the middle price category :)

Also reasing more and more that higher gain settings will rarely be needed, so it makes sense to really focus more on the low-med gain ranges and less on the brown sound tones. I'm thinking the JHS @ should be able to cover a wide range of gain levels though, and maybe both Bogner units as well.
So it's now a matter of finding the right cheaper alternative to one of those :/

urizen

Silver Supporting Member
I'm pretty partial Durham Electronic's Crazy Horse pedal----it succeeds in replicating Young's untrammeled overdrive and that "amp on the edge and ready to explode!" and it melds well in various combinations with other overdrive/distortion pedals, especially when paired with Catalinbread's Belle Epoch adding space and depth (from either the front or back of the chain).

deceased

Only made from '94 - '97 ... needs a reissue
Neither the DS-2 nor OD-2r were made from ‘94 to ‘97. What are you talking about?

Everywhere except Reverb shows OD-2R was discontinued in 1999.

Last edited:

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member

p4.jpg

I used this as my high gain drive for awhile. And the best thing of all...it was included in the first BOSS GT unit - the GT-5 (that I have buried in my garage somewhere). I really do need to get another one of these.

Last edited:

fuzzaholic

I'm pretty partial Durham Electronic's Crazy Horse pedal----it succeeds in replicating Young's untrammeled overdrive and that "amp on the edge and ready to explode!" and it melds well in various combinations with other overdrive/distortion pedals, especially when paired with Catalinbread's Belle Epoch adding space and depth (from either the front or back of the chain).

It don't think it's a MIAB at all, but the Crazy Horse has actually been on my wish list for AGES. I can't justify spending that much on something I can pretty closely replicate by stacking one of my fuzz peds with one of my overdrive peds though. Cause that's honestly what the CH seems to be doing more or less, right?

Anyway, the idea of getting that sound pre-tweaked in one compact secksy box, is still really alluring.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom